So I splurged and got a Kindle Oasis 3 :)

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
7Wannabe5

Re: So I splurged and got a Kindle Oasis 3 :)

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Ego:

I agree that AI could write a never-ending stock novel tailored exactly to meet many of my known preferences*, but I disagree that AI will soon be able to create a work at the level of complexity I might find interesting. In fact, I would suggest that if/when AI can perform that task, it should be granted at least as much personhood status as a corporation or the beloved pet cat of a deceased billionaire.

*For instance, a stock romance novel featuring a male love interest who is at least 10% larger than the info about me garnered from my fitness app who also drops references from books my reading app knows I have perused. Scary note would be that dating apps already pretty much do this. Thus, height in inches of last 10 men I met for coffee would be something like: 73,73,70,72,69, 73,72,75, 78, 70 with clear mode of 73 and mean more than 3 inches greater than that of general population (Sorry. I am currently studying for High School Math Teaching Competency Exam.) , thereby altering my perspective on reality.

@cimorene12:

That song is hilarious. One of the reasons I wanted to study data science was maybe I could create something that amusing.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

"never-ending novel specifically for you that keeps you interested, engaged and paying the subscription."

So using TV shows, a book that jumps from Rosanne to Family Matters to Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman to Golden Girls to Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia to The Office to New Girl to Breaking Bad to Archer to Rick and Morty?

I doubt it. I have gone through phases in life that are discontinuous. The leap I make is my own.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Toska2 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 pm
I have gone through phases in life that are discontinuous. The leap I make is my own.
Well, it may feel as if it is discontinuous and your own.

There is a saying about big tech that has become cliché, that they know you better than you know yourself.

If they crunch all that data in such a way that it gives them a view from further up the chain of causation than the view I have about myself then, voilà, they have a great deal of manipulative power over me. It is already happening but is in its infancy with youtube next-video recommendations and facebook feeds.

@7W, levels of complexity are the bread and butter of machine learning.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Ego wrote:@7W, levels of complexity are the bread and butter of machine learning.
Absolutely true. I was wrong-minded when I typed that phrase. AI programs (or systems of programs)are actually a lot like young children. They are able to generate novel associations, because they are not dead-ended in stale metaphor. The business oriented AI generates results that are not unlike the Christmas Carol posted above. You can get a couple of hits or revelations of useful/interesting correlation, but also a good many misses. It still takes human intelligence to decide whether "The best Christmas present in the world is a blessing." has a ring of truth, or if "I can hear the music coming from the hall" evokes the certain emotion desired in, perhaps, an advertisement for honey baked ham.

What I should have noted is that humans, even the most Spock-like INTJs among us, create meaningful metaphors through a process that requires both thought and emotion. If you hooked up an AI neural network to the nervous and lymph system of the pet cat of an eccentric billionaire, then you might be able to generate metaphors that would be meaningful to a cat with a high IQ or IOW, the system you would have created might be kind of like a cat with a high IQ.

So, it is kind of like you are operating with a higher IQ if/when you give advanced AI access to portions of your nervous or lymph system. Obvious examples being your pulse rate, food ordering preferences and when you "like" or "search" for something.

Another example would be that if an advanced AI knows which books you have read and assumes that you have mastered the material within those books, it could attempt to generate more subtle or unique metaphors based on that knowledge. For instance, this past week I started reading a book which contained the phrase "Happiness is health and freedom." and I also read a chapter on human anatomy in a high school textbook. So, my linked AI in conversation mode might generate something like "Your mother left a message. She sounded like a woman locked in a trunk without a functional pancreas."

That said, I just opened up the most brilliant novel I read this year to a random page, and this is what I read:
I said I was afraid that was not the case, and he raised his eyebrows, which were silver and grew unexpectedly coarsely and wildly from his forehead, like grasses in a rocky place. It was this eccentricity that had made me answer him. The unexpected sometimes looks like a prompting of fate.
I do not expect anything like this from AI anytime in the near future.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

AI is like a road. It maybe good at predicting the next 10-30 minutes. My mind is like a road atlas. I could be in Michigan one minute and Tennessee the next. IOW, if I look up videos to fix my car, fix my car and go back to youtube, guess what I get? More videos to fix a problem I dont have any more. It also wont pick Rocky's soundtrack while I am wrenching, switch to country if a friend shows up, or change to genres for clean up.