Dopamine Fasting Challenge

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
fiby41

Dopamine Fasting Challenge

Post by fiby41 »

No phone
No internet
No food
No friends

Will it result in partial illumination or will I become a shell of myself...For the next 24 hours, let's see.

Jason

Re: Dopamine Fasting Challenge

Post by Jason »

Such extreme deprivation is usually reserved for a Hollywood star pleading guilty to bribing a college admissions officer on behalf of their semi-literate child. Godspeed, Fiby41. Godspeed.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

This is an interesting idea. Can you explain the no food part though? (In 24 hours when you are back)

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

There are four ways of ingestion- eating, licking, sucking and drinking. So fluids are allowed.

Needless to say I failed the challenge. Will try again soon.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Why?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

I ate raisin chocolate.

I tried following the is it important? Is it urgent? filters posted in the site linked by horse woman to dissuade myself from doing things that required phone or internet. Scheduling things that were deemed important.

Existential questions popped in the mind before sleeping but the sleep itself was uninterrupted.
Some withdrawal symptoms were produced including anxiousness, an almost habitual itch to reach for the phone and difficulty in trying to repress it.

I don't have many friends but as it was weekend more of them were available.
I'm starting to believe that we have a limited amount of will that can be exerted at any given moment. I've gone without few of them before but abstaining from all of them at the same time was the challenging part.
I was miserable but it was a good day.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I don't see "no masturbation" on the list so quite frankly, I have an issue with the overall objectivity of the study. Unless we are to consider your hands as friends. In any event, I think Felicity Huffman lasted longer. Maybe eat the raisin chocolate and then start.

intellectualpersuit

Post by intellectualpersuit »

I can also think of more ways of ingestion.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Wasn’t it Lucretius who suggested he could get his nutrition from enemas rather than eating? I distinctly remember that (somebody writing it, anyway) from my Great Books course.

Who says the liberal arts are worthless, when you can learn stuff like that! 😁

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

@jason wouldn't that be a testosterone spike followed by either oxytocin (for pair bonding) or adrenaline ( ejacuate & evacuate) ?