People to hang out regularly in central-western Oregon (Eugene/Spriengfield/Florence)

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
flying_pan

People to hang out regularly in central-western Oregon (Eugene/Spriengfield/Florence)

Post by flying_pan »

Hey!

I moved to central Oregon coast (town called Florence) 1 year ago for family reasons, and while everything is great, there is one big problem: I don't know anybody. And 1 year did not change it like at all :) It is never a big problem for me, since I have friends living in different places and we talk regularly, but I would like to find somebody to hang out together as well. I am 100% sure there are plenty of people from Portland here, but it is too far (like ~3 hours drive, and no public transportation).

So, I am looking for people within 1 hour drive (so, Newport, Coos Bay, Eugene, Springfield), or who wants to meet in these cities. Ideally, we can do outdoors stuff together (hiking, kayaking/canoeing, trail biking, etc), but I am also fine to meet just to converse, exchange ideas, skills, etc.

I know there are meetup groups, and I'll try them for outdoors stuff next season, but just thought maybe there are people around, and it would be great to meet with some like-minded people.

Thanks!

George the original one

Re: People to hang out regularly in central-western Oregon (Eugene/Spriengfield/Florence)

Post by George the original one »

Living on the coast has challenges when it comes to finding people with similar interests and available time. A large chunk of the population residing there often have chosen to be reclusive.

Seaside to Florence is a bit too much of a trip for me without an overnight stay, but I can make it to a Lincoln City or Eugene meet-up.

George the original one

Re: People to hang out regularly in central-western Oregon (Eugene/Spriengfield/Florence)

cimorene12 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:36 am
Would you be willing to drive to Bend?
Bend is an hour further than Portland for someone in Florence, especially this time of year when the passes over the Cascades may be snowy.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

This guy lives in Bend, OR
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomanderso ... 8bd127edcd

We had an ERE meetup in Eugene, OR back in 2011.

flying_pan

Post by flying_pan »

cimorene12 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:36 am
Would you be willing to drive to Bend?
I will be in Bend in some point (I really like this state and like to explore it), but definitely not something on a regular basis. As @GTOO mentioned, it is actually longer than to Portland and I am not going through snow (we rarely have any snow on the coast).
George the original one wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 am
Seaside to Florence is a bit too much of a trip for me without an overnight stay, but I can make it to a Lincoln City or Eugene meet-up.
Seaside is a bit too far for a regular trip for me as well, but I'll pass by next year (probably will have a trip to Olympia Washington).

----

Looks like there are some people, but they are pretty distributed. Well, if anybody is around Florence, feel free to drop me a line, we can just meet and do some activity one time. I'll contact people from this thread when I'll be around their cities if they are interested.

AlexK

Post by AlexK »

The wife and I have been wanting to move to the Oregon coast for a while. We like the southern part but also the Florence area. I like to do outdoor stuff too so if we end up there I will get in touch. I am searching online for properties at this stage.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I'm in Falls City. I go to Eugene to visit friends but don't like to drive down and up in one day, like George. By trail bike do you mean bicycle? I like to do that in McDonald Forest just north of Corvallis. I'm a good climber but slow on downhills!

George the original one

enigmaT120 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:59 am
I go to Eugene to visit friends but don't like to drive down and up in one day, like George.
I wouldn't say I like it, but being retired, I've got the time to do so when I have a reason. 6 hrs roundtrip leaves plenty of hours for activities.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Since I retired (9/30/19) I prefer strongly that the visit time should exceed the driving time, at least in one day. I have a friend in Portland, one in Banks and a couple in Eugene. It seems they're all about two hours away!

Ego

Post by Ego »

enigmaT120 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:06 pm
Since I retired (9/30/19) I prefer strongly ....!
What!? Trying to sneak that by us after not posting for six months. Was that planned? Congratulations!

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Ego wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:47 pm
What!? Trying to sneak that by us after not posting for six months. Was that planned? Congratulations!
Sorry but work got totally insane and I never felt like using a computer after work. They weren't even trying to tempt me into sticking around! I was a federal employee and retired the day after my 56th birthday. That's not early really, and once my pension kicks in it won't really be all that extremely low of an income, but I still value Jacob's book and the conversation on this forum.

And thanks.

My Banks friend rarely has time for stuff but I'll invite him. Dunno about the Portland friend, I'll ask her.

I round up for driving times! Especially if I'm going to Portland. Hillsboro isn't bad, just over that pretty hill from Newburg.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

George the original one wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:53 pm
I wouldn't say I like it, but being retired, I've got the time to do so when I have a reason. 6 hrs roundtrip leaves plenty of hours for activities.
Not this time of year.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Hi! I live in Eugene now! Sorta!

I would love to hang out. I haven't been around the forums for a couple of years, but I was fairly active a few years ago and still very much live my life based on ERE principles, moving more towards that ethic every day.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Sort of living or sort of in Eugene?

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Yeah! I live in an RV about half an hour from Eugene. And I own some property in Portland and also have a lease there right now, though I expect to give up the lease in the next couple of months. But I commute back and forth a lot because there are people up there I want to see.

But mostly in Eugene! Certainly shifting more in this general direction.

Edit: Re-reading the question. I was tired. Sort of in Eugene. Fully living!
Last edited by reepicheep on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

is there any ERE non profit?
I wanna travel world on somebody's dime :- DDD

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@Stahlmann, Join the Mobile Infantry and see the Galaxy!

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Reepicheep: Does the intentional community where you are staying have a name? I've visited one called Vistara a couple of times. Once to learn how to process acorns for food, and another time for a song circle and Kundalini yoga. It's about half a block from where my friends down there live. One of them and my Portland friend think I should start one here on my place! I asked what was in it for me and she said "Community." 5 years ago I would have laughed. I doubt I'll ever do it but when she said that last summer I didn't laugh.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@enigmaT120, [Edited].

It is a little like living in a reality TV show. One of the residents has a name for the show. "As the Quinoa Boils."

It's apt. I am thinking of actually writing an episode or two.
Last edited by reepicheep on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Sounds familiar.

Oats have more protein than quinoa. Just saying.

I look forward to meeting you next weekend.