Long time lurker - 30 year old UK-based Dad

Say hello!!
erewig

Long time lurker - 30 year old UK-based Dad

Post by erewig »

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the forum and blog for a couple of years now since discovering Jacob's book. I read and browse some other FIRE realted blogs/forums but ERE is always the one that's jived with my personal outlook/persuasion the most (probably due to the focus on DIY attitude,"extreme" frugality and me being INTJ.) My family is preparing to make some pretty big changes within the next year which should get us in a position where we can get closer to our goal of FI/RE.

I'd like to start posting here for a few reasons:
  • I don't know anyone in my day to day life that find ERE topics interesting, besides my wife, who bears the brunt of the majority of my rantings. Here I know I can speak with like-minded people.
  • I think that regular browsing/interacting with this board will keep me motivated and excited.
  • I'm starting a blog and playing with the idea of a podcast so this will be a good sounding board for my ideas.
  • There are a lot of highly intelligent, wise and interesting people that post here and I know that there is a huge amount for me to learn.
Last edited by erewig on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolf

Re: Long time lurker - 30 year old UK-based Dad

Post by wolf »

Welcome erewig! Looks like you found the right place with the right people for your interests.
Have you had a chance to read the ERE book yet?

erewig

Post by erewig »

wolf wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 am
Welcome erewig! Looks like you found the right place with the right people for your interests.
Have you had a chance to read the ERE book yet?
Thanks, I think so too. Yes I have read the ERE book. I'm on my second read through at the moment, actually. Amazing how just rereading something a year later can lend to different thoughts/insights due to the changed perspective.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Will you be saving for your child's education?

erewig

Post by erewig »

fiby41 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:51 am
Will you be saving for your child's education?
This isn't actually something i've thought too much about, yet. My children are still very young and higher education is a bit more accessible over here than it is in somewhere like the US. Having said that, I think it's an important subject for me to start considering, thanks. My children are one of the big reasons that i'm pursuing financial independence so any money i'm able to save has the potential to be used for their education.

Hazel-is-ok

Post by Hazel-is-ok »

Welcome from another frugal Brit.

I can relate. I'm very enthusiastic about ERE, and my husband is subjected to my rants about consumerism.

I look forward to hearing about your journey.

Fiddle

Post by Fiddle »

Welcome,

I'm a dad too have been on the ERE journey for some time here I the UK as well.

I'm sure you'll get alot out of this great forum and I look forward to reading about your progress.