junk pole fence - an alternative to burning "fuel wood"

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
paul wheaton

junk pole fence - an alternative to burning "fuel wood"

Post by paul wheaton »

(i was sure i already had an account here, but i guess not)

I choose an ERE path that leads to homesteading and permaculture. Personal choice.

I wish to grow all my own food. And where I live, you cannot grow a garden unless you fence out the deer. And the same fence might want to fence in some chickens.

This is a fence made of waste wood (this wood is typically burned in an effort to reduce wildfires). It's a bit like making fence out bamboo, but in an area where these conifer poles are considered a nuisance. You can see the rock jacks (this particular property is one giant rock) - but ignore those for this video (we hope to have a rock jack video later). Pretend these are normal fence posts. This particular fence is being made 8 feet tall to keep deer out and to keep layers (egg laying breeds of chickens) in. This is a BB for part of the sand badge for woodland care in the PEP curriculum. You start by installing two horizontal poles along the top and bottom on the same side of your posts. Then you install four evenly spaced vertical spacers on the outside of the fence rails. Once you have your spacers up, you install one more horizontal pole across the middle on the outside of your spacers, and then you can just drop in loose poles to fill the rest of the fence up. Voila! Easy fence made reusing waste wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApyvpHj7Dg

Ego

Re: junk pole fence - an alternative to burning "fuel wood"

Post by Ego »

Nice fence. Seeing that it is Halloween and you've been haunting this place for years.... Welcome!?

paul wheaton

Post by paul wheaton »

Hello Ego. :)

Please tell me more. :)

I know that Jacob once talked about my "wheaton eco scale." And I know that he has been on several of my podcasts. And I mention him and ERE in my new book.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

We've had multiple threads discussing Wheaton scales on here:

viewtopic.php?t=8103
viewtopic.php?t=8682
viewtopic.php?t=4812

Welcome indeed! What a great addition to the forum!

Apologies for the derail...

paul wheaton

Post by paul wheaton »

That's a lot of stuff .... wow!

Somewhat back on topic ... I like to think that knowledge of thousands of little things can dramatically reduce expenses. And I believe that sharing one thing at a time is the key. So, this video in the first post is one thing. I've been talking and writing about junk pole fence for many years - so I'm glad that I have a bit of video about it.