ERE Investment Curriculum

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
mooretrees

Re: ERE Investment Curriculum

Post by mooretrees »

I'm in, and will order the first couple of books today. Just the push I needed to start learning about investing! Thanks J+G!

Bro

Post by Bro »

ok
Last edited by Bro on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheese

Post by cheese »

I actually started reading the first economics textbook a couple weeks ago (7 chapters down so far). Would be happy to discuss/work through some sample problems if/when others join in later this year. The end of each chapter has web-based questions that seem like they would be good exercises using real-world data.

I've been dedicating an hour or two a night during the week and so far I've found the 50-100 pages/week recommendation to be manageable/realistic. I imagine I can sustain this pace for as long as the material remains interesting. I could likely go faster if I was willing to dedicate portions of Saturday/Sunday but my weekends remain sacrosanct. That said, I gotta go!

Fish

Post by Fish »

cheese wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:18 pm
I actually started reading the first economics textbook a couple weeks ago (7 chapters down so far). Would be happy to discuss/work through some sample problems if/when others join in later this year.
You don’t need to wait. Start a “McConnell Chapter X” thread. There are enough of us who have read the book for a lively discussion.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I'm still planning on starting December 1st if people still want to read it together. No need to wait for me to start the discussion though. I think keeping everyone together will be a challenge that can be somewhat mitigated by using subthreads to discuss.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Once the subthreads start existing, I'll collate/move them into their own forum thread. For now, you can start them in the Money Questions subforum:
viewforum.php?f=3 Just make the thread titles somewhat descriptive, e.g. "EIC booktitle, chapter" or something like that will work.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

O.K., I'm still planning on starting this December 1st. I got the 19th edition of the McConnell econ book, not sure if the version numbers will make a huge difference, my guess is no (but exercises might be different?). Anyone who wants to join is welcome. We are going in the suggested order which @fish highlighted earlier in this thread. I'm not 100% sure how we should do this. The McConnel books divided into 10 parts (let me know if this is different for different editions), of 1-3 chapters each (except part 7). I think we should do a section per week (~3 chapters) and spend two weeks on part 7, which is 7 chapters long. How does everyone feel about that?

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Sounds like a plan. Will start working on it as soon as the book comes in soon.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

Cool! I have the 15th edition, and I think there are some differences between chapters and maybe some reordering of material. But I'm sure we'll manage.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

I'm going to try to join in this too. I've got the 15th edition as well. It looks like this edition is sufficiently different from the 19th that it'd be useful to post part names/chapter names for each thread so folks can read the appropriate chapters/part in their edition. It probably will be approximately the same ordering at the start though. Anyway looking forward to it.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I'll join too. My copy of the McConnnell textbook arrived today. I purchased the 15th edition.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Alright, first section this week. In the book I have that's chapters 1-2 so that's what I'm planning on doing this week. Discussion threads are in the Money Questions section of the forum. I think we should do 1 section a week so I'll "assign" the next section next Monday. Some of us will read the chapters in a day and some of us will read it right before the deadline, but that's the advantage of the forum discussion.

I'm not sure how to structure the discussion so no structure until we figure it out and suggestions welcome. My only request is that we keep the "meta-discussion" in this thread and only discuss chapter relevant information in the chapter thread.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Regarding meta, I found it hard to read a textbook. It's been a while since undergraduate studies and I find sometimes that I'm literally reading however my brain picked up another thread and is thinking about something else and not processing what I read. I catch it fairly quickly but it is a struggle sometimes to maintain attention. When the topic is interesting to me, it is less of a problem.

I also read the chapter in order and I realized it might have been better to jump to the summary/bullet point parts so basically read those parts backwards and then forwards with the main text. I enjoy having a cliff notes of where I'm going in order to hopefully alleviate the attention issue mentioned above.

I'm assuming others have this kind of struggle and while it's not a big thing, I'm always looking to improve. I did mull it over and thought that perhaps trying to read such material earlier in the day with a fresh mind might be better than reserving it for the evening. So I'll try that for future chapters. But I'm curious to hear if others deal with the above too and if they have found anything that helps!

Update: I read the second chapter in the morning and it was easier to focus.
Last edited by SavingWithBabies on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

This week’s assignment is the next section. I’m at the end of a cascading work death spiral so my only promise is to make the threads for discussion by Wed.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Apologies for doing a shitty job leading this group. I got murdered at work this week...

I was aiming for posting assignments and creating topics on Monday every week, but I'm going to do it on Sunday instead as it's the day I'm least likely to work.

Topics for last weeks and next weeks reading assignment are up. It looks like my book has different sections than other versions.

I'm going to get sections from this version's (21e, 2018) TOC from now on.

This week we'll do the last chapter of section 2 (chapter 5) and the two chapters in section 3 (chapters 6 & 7).

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

No posts in the Chapters 3-7 threads so I'm going to declare a week off for Christmas. Obviously I'm way behind so I'm going to use this week to catch up.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

This week we'll do Chapters 8,9 and 10.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I think most are still stuck/doing chapter 3. Perhaps lower the ambition level? Or create some homework like each solve an exercise? I don't think blasting through the material will be helpful when improved investing is the actual exam. For investing, I think it's better to have a deep understanding of some key aspects than having covered a lot of material.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Thanks Jacob, I think you're right. I'll wait until we get some commentary in the other chapter threads before adding new ones.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

maybe it will help to try come up with discussion questions. I still think you'll get more out of this if you start with your own reflections - what you understand the chapter to say, how you think it is relevant/useful, where you disagree...

others can use this to jumpstart their own thoughts