Personal care assistant?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
mustafayacoob

Personal care assistant?

Post by mustafayacoob »

what does a personal care assistant actually do, at a nursing home?
I ask because I am applying for either food services at a nursing home or as a personal care assistant and am wondering what jobs I would do?

Frita

Re: Personal care assistant?

Post by Frita »

A personal care assistant would help with tasks of daily living. This would include toileting, showering, dressing, and feeding. Of course you would also be interacting and socializing with the clients. It sounds like you have a good question for an interview.

Edit: I agree with the others to consider a different position based on my own preferences. My niece started as an assistant, had her school paid for her RN, and is now running the nursing home. This happened in about 10 years. She has zero student loans.
Last edited by Frita on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Choose food services.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:16 am
Choose food services.
+1
Nursing home CNA/PCA's are the most underpaid/overworked job in healthcare.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

CNA/PCA - you'll be changing adult diapers and lifting obese people, A LOT. There is no way up without additional education. Kitchen job is easier. You can become a kitchen supervisor, which is more money + easier.

Jason

Post by Jason »

After watching personal care assistants work with my father both at home and in hospice, it seems to be a calling more than an occupation. A ministry more than a job. I would take the job in the kitchen and observe the PCA's and see if you fit in. I would help my father get out of a chair. I would push him around the neighborhood in his wheelchair. But I couldn't do that other stuff and he was my father. Not that I feel bad about it because I don't think he wiped my ass when he had the opportunity.

mustafayacoob

What does "Personal support worker" do in Canada?

Post by mustafayacoob »

I am interested in caregiver job for child, elder and person with disability in Canada. I found "personal support worker" looks interesting to me. If there is anybody know about this job, please advise me how it is like and if this is good career to have, also if there are other jobs related to this, it will be great to know. Thank you !!