Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
FIRE 2018

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by FIRE 2018 »

The more stranglehold experiences that the immigrants in the USA have to go through, the Dems registered voters are going to rise up and take back the White House in 2020.

Riggerjack

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by Riggerjack »

Campitor, I did not realize Mexico was so bad.
No, it's worse.

We only deport to a few places on the Mexican border.

The local gangs know that there is a fresh crop of victims arriving every weekday. People who might have cash or valuables, because they came from the North. People who can be turned out. People with no local ties, people who can safely disappear. People who may have friends or relatives who would pay a ransom. People who only have a few ways out of town.

We call this Deportation. This is our current policy. We did this today, and plan to do it again tomorrow.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The 837 page regulation has been posted. It's my understanding that if it has not been challenged [in court] over the next 60 days, it goes into law. As far as I understand from my cursory reading of the summary, it has been toned down a lot and looks entirely more reasonable now that in its first reported versions.

Fox News reports: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... immigrants
Politico reports: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... ts-1413690
CNN reports: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/12/politics ... ic-charge/
WSJ reports: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-admi ... 1565618625
NYT reports: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/us/p ... olicy.html

I'm not entirely sure which government services to avoid. Hopefully, there will be a list published soon.

sky

Post by sky »

Will they extend this policy to green card renewals?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@sky - The way I'm reading it is that it just applies to status conversions, and since a greencard renewal doesn't change one's status as a legal permanent resident, I think not.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

The voters in November 2020 presidential election will voice their support or non support in limiting immigrants into the USA. The guy in the White House pipe dream is selective wishing to have higher income and more educated immigrants come to the USA. It's going to be a hard sell since our country is so divided in very many issues. I'm still waiting for that border wall that Mexico will pay for as promised. 😄

CS

Post by CS »

I tried to read it for the main points and was shocked that hundreds and hundreds of pages of it were comments and response - seemingly most of it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The reverse brain drain is here. This is a website for long term green card holders who expected to stay in the US but now have decided to return to India and need help navigating the many hurdles.

https://backtoindia.com/

Got kids with US citizenship, no problem! Not sure whether to transfer your cash to rupees or what to do with your 401k? They've got answers.

This does not bode well for the US.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

The White House seems to ignore what is written at the Statue of Liberty site.

" Give us your tired, your poor, huddled masses yearning to be free "

November 2020, the voters will not be silent.

CS

Post by CS »

I personally know of one accomplished professor who went back to India this year to head up a film school.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm
He has already tried to circumvent due process and he will continue to do so. Look at the current case where he tried shutting down the legal way to seek asylum and is now railing against the judge who declared his action illegal.
And now he wants to undo birthright citizenship by executive order, totally ignoring the 14th Amendment. It might be arguable, but I think no other president has shown such a flagrant and vocal disregard for the rule of law.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

He is trying to fire up his base in view of 2020.

This is another move that is clearly not discriminatory at all, similarly to the “send them back” that was also clearly not discriminatory nor in any way shape or form influenced by the 4 ladies’ skin color.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

One of the most recommended new novels of this year is "A River of Stars" by Vanessa Hua. The protagonist is a 36 year old Chinese woman who leaves her peasant village at age 15 to work in factory, boot-straps her way up to administrative position, and then ends up knocked up by her Hong Kong dwelling, much older, married employer. When ultra-sound reveals that baby will be a boy, the affluent father spends approximately $30,000 to arrange for birth in the U.S. and the mother finds herself lodged in a suburban California maternity home packed full of other Chinese women and infants by a wily entrepreneur. The continuing adventures of the gutsy, inventive heroine speak directly to the means by which an individual, regardless of place of birth, may become what-we-mean-when-we-speak-of-being-an-American.
For the Chinese- for most everyone, she supposed-nationality and identity used to be synonymous. You left your ancestral province only under duress, fleeing famine, bandits, and war. You were Chinese, would always be, and you'd no sooner swear allegiance to another government than give up your firstborn. No longer. You might change your citizenship to practice your religion and your politics, to become a voter in a new land where you were making a life for yourself and your children, You might do it just to lower your taxes, and get ahead in the world.
Why does it make sense to build a wall to keep out people who want to get ahead in the world? Has our national level of self-esteem sunk that low?

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:17 am
Why does it make sense to build a wall to keep out people who want to get ahead in the world? Has our national level of self-esteem sunk that low?
If getting ahead benefits the USA, then they could apply for an immigrant VISA and bypass the wall. If getting ahead doesn't benefit the USA, then the wall serves its purpose by deterring those who would be a net cost on society.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ealth-care
"Medicaid for the poor doesn’t apply and an immigrant will not be able to obtain a visa if using the Affordable Care Act’s subsidies when buying insurance."

Things are tightening. This looks like it goes too far. Will likely be challenged in court.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

As I understand it, this only holds for entry visas. It would not retroactively affect existing green card holders that was part of the original Miller plan. It will mostly affect people waiting to get into the country, e.g. J1 researchers, H1b professionals, and family members, ... who now have to jump through one additional hoop to ensure coverage BEFORE getting the visa. I think when it comes to employment visas, ACA is already not involved, so this is just an extra hassle for the HR department. It might be weirder for those needing to buy insurance privately giving how the market has changed to be ACA compliant.

My experience elsewhere is that other countries already demand the same thing but AFTER you're already in the country. The US is different in the sense that it's acceptable to go w/o insurance whereas elsewhere insurance is mandatory and enforceable.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Tijuana is essentially a bedroom community of San Diego. Every day about 120,000 people cross the border Many do all of their shopping in San Diego. We're talking billions of dollars flowing north. For decades those with visas have had to register their trip if they plan to go further than 25 miles north of the border. This border zone has been an economic boon to the region. There is an inspection station on I-5 at Camp Pendleton where they do spot checks. It has worked well. This health insurance proposal is going to kill that if it is not exempted for travel within the border zone.

George the original one

Ego wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm
This health insurance proposal is going to kill that if it is not exempted for travel within the border zone.
Trump is already at war with California, so nothing new in this regard.

George the original one

Trump's immoral war against immigrants, even legal immigrants, continues with an executive order allowing states to refuse refugees:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-governor ... ccounter=1

<my apologies for the cross-post, this was the thread I was aiming for but didn't spot first>