Article:Former hedge fund manager more fulfilled in prison

Your favorite books and links
theanimal

Article:Former hedge fund manager more fulfilled in prison

Post by theanimal »

Profile of a former hedge fund manager convicted and sentenced to time in prison. He seemingly had it all before he was arrested. Living in a $10+ million house in Greenwich, CT, belonging to multiple country clubs, fancy cars and a race track membership. The intersting twist happens when he goes to prison and finds real community. As the quote below the headline says, he felt more at home in prison than he did back among his high end neighbors, former coworkers and friends. Having it all turned out to be more of an empty shell than anything. An interesting read.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/07 ... n-life-aft

Ego

Re: Article:Former hedge fund manager more fulfilled in prison

Post by Ego »

animal, I believe your link is broken.

This may work
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/07 ... ter-prison

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

Interesting read. I have read on former inmates get another chance on life while in jail, to improve their health ( working out a lot), partner and network with fellow inmates, and for some, rehabilitate themselves with prison support. In regards to jail and developing friendships, watch the movie "Blow" with Johnny Depp. He formed a bond with a fellow prisoner during prison and after both getting released, which catapulted him into one of the most successful dealers until he got caught.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

To me it shows how desperately lacking most people are for real, caring human interpersonal relationships. For some it's better to lose freedom and have them than to be free and live without.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

Perhaps it shows surrounding yourself with rich people isn't such a great idea even if it does tend to make you wealthier.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

In prison you're forced to spend time with the same people 24/7. The daily exposure and shared routine will build these types of deep bonds. Occupations/vocations that mimic this 24/7 exposure create similar bonds to varying degrees, e.g., soldiers, war correspondents, aid-workers, etc.

Sadly when these jobs are over, the camaraderie is lost because time, distance, and other commitments get in the way. Some would argue that family should be the foundation that provides this feeling of community. But with so many dysfunctional families and the ability to be so mobile, it's no longer unusual to be surrounded by strangers who have no interests in developing social bonds.

Jason

Post by Jason »

He's a douchebag who doesn't want to be around people like himself. So instead of riding a bike on the weekend with his fellow douchebags he visits prisoners. It's no different than anyone else going to church on Sunday and back to the world on Monday. The Great Gatsby gets a little religion but not enough to give up his pool table.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

The hedge fund guy's time in prison really changed his outlook. Instead of being the partly stuck up 1%_WASP that thumbs their noses on the pee-ons of the world, he visits prisoners. I've been to Greenwich CT. It's the most stuck up atmosphere of rich elite I have ever seen.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I had a smilier experience when I went to Disney World will all these douchebags thanking me for paying their taxes.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

Keep vacationing and spending your hard earned $$ in Florida and keeping my taxes low ! 😄

Jason

Post by Jason »

I thought I recognized you.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

I highly doubt it. Spend more time with my NRA buddies on the range instead of tourist activities.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Well, I'm glad you are at least able to separate the two. Even if its just for financial purposes.