Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

Re: bigato's journal

Post by classical_Liberal »

This is great news, no? Congrats!

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Ten months' severance sounds great considering how close you are to your target number. You can make up the difference at some point in future with odd jobs here and there or by monetising hobbies. I'd go for it.

rube

Post by rube »

I hope you make use of the severance package Bigato!

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Couple of questions:

1) why do you need to disclose that you intend to retire?

2) what about housing? Here it's very difficult to rent anything unless you have regular income (wages or pension). Is this not a problem in Brazil? Or do you intend do buy just before you quit of go back to live in your countryside property?

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

So by announcing intention to retire you mean letting know ppl at work that you're taking the severance? I thought you are actually considering disclosing that you intend to ERE. Which would not be necessary at all. You can just say you like the offer and intend to get another job. Which is both true.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Congratulations! Fingers crossed for you

rube

Post by rube »

When do you expect any news about this Bigato? We're all eagerly waiting on an update while eating popcorn and sitting on the couch watching our screens and keep on refreshing the website.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Awesome update, bigato.

We are all rooting for ya.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

This sounds great and you played it really well. Fingers crossed for positive final decision in August.

rube

Post by rube »

Well done and let's see the 19th. Though if not accepted somehow, it won't be a very long journey anyway. You're in a good position.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

It's cool you're figuring this out.

I'm scared shitless to sell my gold. Up over 23% and still, it's my best hedge to keep my portfolio stable. Stocks down so maybe it'll eek you out another few percent. I dont think it's worth the risk. Too much instability at the moment.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

bigato wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm
Too bad that I'm almost exiting my job, as that is a challenging environment for me to stay in and a relevant part of that is due to how my brain is wired. Staying longer would have the benefit of fighting the difficulties some more while seeing the therapist.
In my experience a lot of the difficulties went away after a positive change in the environment. I've seen this very clearly in my daughter. The state school system was a very bad fit for her, at age 8 she was severely depressed, and was falling from one meltdown into the next. After a year in a Montessori style inclusive school she was like a different person. Before it was nearly impossible to work on coping strategies. Now she has time (almost no homework!) and enough mental reserves to work with me. There are still enough pitfalls, so no need to be afraid of not keeping your therapist working ;)

For me, enough off-time to decompress has been a game changer in terms of mental health. I only realized how much "masking" I was constantly doing after about 2 years at home (maternity leave), where I could be myself. I shudder to remember the high-strung bundle of anxiety I used to be! Fingers crossed for your severance package :)

Edited to add: after rereading my post I feel like I have not really explained well what I was trying to say.
I think with enough free time you will probably have more mental energy to find (sometimes unbelievabley easy) solutions for problems that seemed very big when working full time. At least it was that way for me and my daughter.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Bigato, I am rooting for you and a green light on your severance!
Last edited by Frita on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

bigato wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm
So today I did what can be the dumbest thing ever but I'm betting this isn't quite the recession yet. I sold my chunk of gold for a 17% profit. It went up too high and too fast and I'm counting that I'll be able to get in lower than that at some point in the next few weeks. Price flutuations for the metal here are amplified by the fact that it's priced in dollars which are the other thing that people buy when markets dip. Also, today I bought another chunk of the big caps etf, while the ibovespa went as far down as a 3% dip and them closed not too far from that.
Well, I for one agree with your thoughts here:

1.) As you're, I am merely speculating here and my politic/economic mix predictions have often been wrong but I think the recession, if there will be a recession, will be put 'on hold' due to the 2020 election....I think the administration will compromise with China and the Fed will keep rates low as to artificially keep things humming along. A 'great economy' is always a good news story for Presidents fighting for their second terms.

2.) Peter Lynch would agree with your strategy (from what I remember reading a long time ago in 'One up on Wall Street') that it is reasonable to sell profits when their has been a recent run up in price...especially if the recent run up is due to hype and not fundamentals.

rube

Post by rube »

Hi Bigato, sorry to hear but effectively nothing changed compared to a couple of weeks ago. You seem to be full of ideas and plans anyway, so just execute your plan(s)!

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

That's a shame. Are you going to use your newly acquired irreplaceable status to negotiate better pay/terms/remote work?

C40

Post by C40 »

how does one pronounce "bigato"?

wolf

Post by wolf »

sorry to hear that your exit plan didn't get approved. Keep on executing your new ideas! I "job-crafted" my work in the last few years and I'm quite happy with it. In the beginning of this change I thought I could not ask my employer for that, but I did it anyway. And nowadays I am working remote two days per week, sometimes take overtime to work only half workdays, etc.. Only after I asked my employer they approved those improvements. Without asking, they would have suggested nothing of that.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Bummer that your hopes of a nice severance package were dashed. I do notice that you’re thinking divergently and of ways for this to go in your favor. Good for you! I am following to see how you spin it.
Last edited by Frita on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Also sorry about the layoff :( . I do agree with @wolf & @bankai, now is the time to act in asking for anything you think would make the job better. Don't hesitate because you think they won't approve it, just ask. You basically showed you are willing to leave with the severance, so you can flex that muscle at this point in time without any other ultimatums that otherwise might be required. You presently have a ton of leverage, even if it doesn't feel that way.