I'm going mobile, let's discuss the options.

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
BMF1102

I'm going mobile, let's discuss the options.

Post by BMF1102 »

First this is not a move to save money on housing, my housing bills the last 18months average $205 USD. (Gas, electric, water, trash, property tax)

Second, this became a long post. Please have a read and tell me what you think. Thank you

This is a lifestyle move.
I spend 5-6 months a year traveling for work. I typically spend 2-5 weeks in a location have a couple days to a week or so off between jobs. I usually spend $350-$700 a week for temporary housing. Where I could be spending those amounts for a campsite for a month. Or even possibly free in some areas. So this could save me money while working.

When not working I enjoy camping, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, kayaking, outdoor shit etc. I enjoy exploring new areas, I would love to see all the National parks and various other state parks, preserves, landmarks, etc.

So I'm looking at options to carry my bike, kayak, camp gear, 2 tool boxes (for work 26" wide x18" deep x14" tall), and all basic needs for full time living. A place/way to cook, a place to sleep comfortably, and preferably a place to answer nature's call.

I'm leaning more towards a truck and trailer of some sort. Have thought long and hard about vans or class Bs.

I think I might run short on space and security (for the bike/kayak) in a van. Plus I work at nuclear power plants and they can be fickle about what you're bringing on site.

I have read C40s journal and blog and Bryan's, I have also read various other van and mobile living sites/blogs.

I'm pushing for FI as soon as possible but in more of a semi retired way. I take a couple months off work in the summers. So instead of always traveling back home between jobs I could stay and explore the different towns/areas more. This would make exploring in the off season easier by not having to always live out of a tent or renting Airbnbs.

Since I have to have a vehicle for work and typically drive 30,000ish miles a year. I thought I might as well kinda combine 2 big expenses in one.

I'm looking for thoughts, ideas and advice about what might be the best for my situation.

unemployable

Re: I'm going mobile, let's discuss the options.

Post by unemployable »

reddit vandwellers

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Do you presently own a pick up and what is it’s tow ratings?

I’d lean towards a small/medium sized travel trailer or fifth wheel. DH’s fancy carbon bike rides on the bed when we camp. It was more expensive than the camper :x

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

@Bigato - Skoolies are pretty cool, I've also considered building out a box truck ultimately I want something more maneuverable. I'm more concerned my living quarters may have banned items on board rather than the actual vehicle being the problem.

@Unemployable - Never really spent much time on reddit I may look into it. Thank you

@L.I. - :lol: My bike is not that fancy! I have considered a small camper to tow behind my Cherokee like a Casita or Scamp. I do not currently have a truck.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

@bmf1102 His bike is fancy, but our camper is pretty ghetto too. Everyone else’s bikes ride on a bike rack on the back.

The Scamp factory makes one camper each day. They can be hard to get used and have a waitlist for new. They would be very towable with a Cherokee.

sky

Post by sky »

Get a Chevy high top van, put some Goodyear All Terrain AT tires on it. Add a roof vent, 200 watts of solar and two or three deep discharge batteries. Build out the interior similar to this:

https://youtu.be/iuV0WZFbtOI

We have a RoadTrek class B which would also work for you, however there are better ways of doing things today. For example, a high efficiency 12 V fridge instead of an old RV fridge, or a chinese diesel heater instead of an RV heater. Having a stealthier vehicle is also an advantage over a class B. However, a class B would work.

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

@Sky - I have definitely thought about vans, I would lean towards a sprinter type though. I agree with you there are far better options these days for the various appliances than what came in any older unit I might buy.

@L.I. - Yes they are hard to come by, incidentally I have friend who has restored/updated a Casita and never used it that is now considering selling it. I have 300,000+ miles on my Cherokee, I'd jump in and drive across country today. I'm not sure I want to start abusing it by toting around a camper.

Options I'm leaning towards
- Tall, long sprinter type van
- Truck + toy hauler type 5th wheel
- Truck + horse trailer with living quarters
- Truck + enclosed car hauler built out

I think having a "garage" area for the bike, kayak, tools, possibly small motorcycle, small work bench. Would be ideal for making this work long term. Having a place to work on things is really nice.

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

@ Bigato - Are you going to try van living?
Unfortunately I think a van will be just a tad cramped for what I want. Although I do really like the mobility and simplicity of it.
I have lived in a pop-up camper in the past. I'm confident if I have a dedicated place to cook, sleep and poop I could make it work.

Another thought is to go with a van and keep the house for home base, or sell the house and buy an acre or so to set up a home base.
Selling the house could add approximately $65,000 to the stash.

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

@ Bigato - just crossed my mind.... Inflatable Kayak!

I'm still pondering the rest of your thoughts/advice

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

http://vandoit.com/

They would fix you up only 35-80k :lol:

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

Laura - $35,000 wouldn't be terrible if it included the vehicle but I could not bring myself to spend it! :lol:
Have you done any van/mobile living or are currently? I've tried finding your journal (if you have one) but no luck yet. I like a comment of yours in another thread about "multiple crappy streams of income" being enough, or something to that effect. I would like to hear more about your situation, I will look for your journal again and read comments of yours.

Bigato - I could see Van living being a pretty daunting prospect especially if you have never driven a vehicle and have zero mechanical experience! Luckily I am very mechanically inclined and have experience driving numerous vehicle sizes.
I agree that any sort of mobile living will not necessarily be simpler. I guess I meant I like simplicity of a van that has everything you need in one unit, and not having to drag a trailer around, is what I was referring to with the "simplicity" comment.

My 2 largest expenses are temporary accommodations and vehicle fuel, so a highly fuel efficient car and a tent are the simplest solutions. Something slightly more comfortable would be preferred though!

I am in fact really leaning towards just a van and keeping the house. Perhaps when I find a good place to set up a home base for my mobile arrangement then renting the house.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I don’t have a journal, maybe I should fix that. I am half of a straight married 50 something couple with two high school aged kiddos. We both have part-time jobs and DH trades options as well. We still have shortfall which has been equivalent to a SWR of 1.0-1.5%. I also consider our FAFSA friendly income as a future passive income stream too. Looking forward to a life with more slow travel, less winter, and no more school schedules.

I haven’t even camped this year :roll: . We have camped a lot with our aged 5th wheel and 3/4 ton pick up. In 2015 we had our camper in a seasonal site and our neighborhoods were all full timers. DH extended family all loves camping and has a variety of camping setups.

I saw the vandoit’s in person all custom builds with brand new vans. They were pretty sweet, not my ideal as comfortable bed for two and a kitchen fitted for more than reheating is my ideal.

CS

Post by CS »

Having watched a lot of van videos it seems people's progressions often are from

Large truck with trailer
to
Large RV with toad (small car off the back)
to
Class B
to
steathlier class B

People seem happy to shed the stress of the trailer and the expensive towing vehicles. A lot of people overestimate how much room they need.
Perhaps you could rent something for a period and see before committing to a purchase.