Thoughts or Experience With a Life Coach?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Gilberto de Piento

Thoughts or Experience With a Life Coach?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Anyone here tried a life coach? What was it like? Was it useful? How much did it cost?

I'm looking for someone or a group to help me plan, prioritize, and stay on track with the things I want to do in my life. There is one locally but their website makes it seem like their typical client is a tech entrepreneur founder. I want help and accountability for more general issues/goals, though career/business is a significant part of it.

A therapist might be useful but they are more oriented towards thinking about the past and treating diagnosed illness. A pastor is not going to work for me. A mentor would be cool but it seems like one would be very hard to find and the issues I want help with are not just business issues.

EdithKeeler

Re: Thoughts or Experience With a Life Coach?

Post by EdithKeeler »

I did a life coach once. I thought it was a waste of money. Too cheerleader-y and pseudo-psycho-babble for me. Rah rah shit doesn’t do much for me.

I did an “accountability group” for a while with 2 other people—a close friend and an acquaintance. That worked fine for me and it was free except for our weekly Starbucks. We got together, talked about stuff we wanted to work on, and reported back. We’d gently remind each other—“ did you walk your two miles a day? Only once? But you said you were going to do it three times a week. What’s up?” It’s easy to make excuses and lie to yourself—much harder when it’s a real person across the table.

We had notebooks where we kept up with our and each others’s goals. It was nice.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I’m working with one right now that specializes in non 9-5 pathways. Thus far it’s actually been really useful in helping me clarify wtf to do from here. I actually like the positive reinforcement. I just bought a one-time call and journaling course for $350. Is it maybe bullshit? I’m sure it can be. Are there worse ways to burn a few hundred bucks? Yup. Is it helping me feel more confident in taking a non 9-5 route or getting to the bottom of what kind of lifestyle I need to feel content? Hell yeah.

Honestly, my experience with talk therapy and even psychiatry is negative. I’ve been doing that shit consistently for two years and not much has changed. If anything it’s caused me to externalize my problems instead of helping myself more. The psych meds they offer also definitely don’t come without serious drawbacks. It’s kinda been like putting a bandaid over structural issues.

I think what helps the most for (most) people is finding a lifestyle and social arrangement that optimizes for contentment. I’d wager most humans aren’t content when they’re over worked, lacking sleep, lonely, doing work they don’t care about, not in control of their work. and so on. I guess the life coach can be a like a good supportive friend to talk you into making change.

I’ve done the accountability group too, and that was very helpful as well.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I do not have any experience, but I always try free first...

https://www.wysa.io/

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Want to get on a Skype Call? I won't sell you anything, but I will tell you how I work, and what I've been trained to do as a coach during the last couple of months. You can ask me ANYTHING about it, and I'll answer as honestly as I possibly can.

Skype, not text, because it takes 'forever' (relative to how much time I'm willing to devote to the internet these days) to type out how/why I work the way I do.

The business is stuffed full of BS coaches who don't actually get their clients real results (see EdithKeelers comment above). I've been 100% trained to get my clients places, and I do. I'm not only willing, I'd LOVE to tell what I do, how I do it, and why it works as often as it does.

I'm 100% confident in my abilities, but I can whole heartedly understand the reservations some might have. I'm available for complete disclosure in case you need it.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hi FBeyer - can I hop on that offer too? I've actually been enjoying talking to forum members over more personal mediums like call or video! It'd also be interesting to learn more about the life coach business. I know what the one I chose is about because she went to a college and area I'm really familiar with, but oh boy - did I go through some BS websites to find her.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Of course we can talk! Send me a PM and we'll work out when.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

"I'm not a life coach. I think they are scam artists who pretend to be therapists without an actual qualification.

I'm not a therapist"... From the description of a video channel.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I had one. But he died.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@jason 😂

@tophatfox My experience of therapy and medication was the same as yours, I completely agree.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts!
FBeyer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:44 am
Want to get on a Skype Call? I won't sell you anything, but I will tell you how I work, and what I've been trained to do as a coach during the last couple of months. You can ask me ANYTHING about it, and I'll answer as honestly as I possibly can.
Thank you for the generous offer. I will PM you if I get to the point where I can take you up on it.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 am
Thank you for the generous offer...
Always. Just let me know what you need.

frihet

Post by frihet »

https://www.mrfreeat33.com/coaching/

Maybe try out Jason? He used to post here before and he surely has created a free/FI life for himself. Telling from his blogs and comment section he really likes, seems good at motivating people.

chenda

Post by chenda »

frihet wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 pm
https://www.mrfreeat33.com/coaching/
WTF is this you @jason ?! Are you the guy from Detroit who is jumping for joy in Ko Samui ? 😁

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@chenda - Nah, that's @DividendGuy

Jason

Post by Jason »

chenda wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:41 pm
WTF is this you @jason ?! Are you the guy from Detroit who is jumping for joy in Ko Samui ? 😁
No, that's a different Jason. I'm the Jason in New Jersey giving the finger to old ladies in supermarket parking lots. If you are interested in my life coaching techniques, you can find me at the following:

I'llpretendtocareaboutyourstupidfuckinglifeifyoupaymenoughmoney.org

And please, no PM's. I got better things to do than maintain an inbox outside of messages that come in red and bold. If shit is serious, call the Suicide Hotline. Or let FBeyer know. He seems empathetic. Or at least he comes off that way.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Thats a relief, I was concerned you had suddenly gone all soft 😁