Good Razors... and making them last?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
chasebrooklyn1985

Good Razors... and making them last?

Post by chasebrooklyn1985 »

I've used the Gillette Fusion 5 blade razor for many years now. What a great shave it gives and no razor burn! I love it. But damn, it costs an arm and a leg. $22 for a 4 pack, yikes! At least I can make a 4 pack last 8 weeks though, if I really want to.

Recently, I decided to switch to the Dollar Shave Club "Executive" 6 blade razor, $11 for a 4 pack. I love the DSC company and brand, but unfortunately the Executive gives me bad razor burn. I've tried it several times, always using the exfoliating face scrub, washing and shave cream before. Still razor burn.

One of their reps was very understanding and told me that the blades are too close together for people with sensitive skin, so I should switch to their 4 blade option, which I think cost $7 for a 4 pack. They even sent me a complimentary 4 pack. So now I'm shaving with the 4 blade version, it's easier on my skin than the 6 blade, but still getting some razor burn.

I don't want to go back to Gillette. I kinda hate their brand/company, and I don't want to support them, let alone pay tier crazy prices. I'd like something that is as good but not them.. and preferably cheaper too!

Any ideas?

By the way, just bought a pair of Wahl men's hair clippers. I paid $40 for the Elite Pro. No more $22 bi-weekly barber shop cuts. easily saved myself $300 a year on this purchase. Plus, it's kinda fun to buzz my sides and my gf can take care of the back. I go to a proper hair stylist 3 or 4 times a year to keep the top half of my hair in order.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Good Razors... and making them last?

Post by jacob »

chasebrooklyn1985

Post by chasebrooklyn1985 »

Yeah, I saw the other thread. I was just referring to cartridge razors only.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 is £2.25 per blade if you buy 8pack. A blade usually lasts me a couple of months but I only shave 1-2x a week. It's almost impossible to cut yourself with it.

Chris

Post by Chris »

There's the blue jeans stropping method. It doesn't exactly sharpen the blades, but it does keep them aligned, dry, and free of debris.

FIRE 2018

Post by FIRE 2018 »

Any razor that I just used shake the excess water completely free from the blade. Air dry the razor blade. I can squeeze a blade to last me about 3_weeks on shaving every other day. Since I ERd late last year I shave about 1x a week since I am enjoying retired life in my early 50s.