One Day of Work a Week Is Most ‘Effective’ Dose for Mental Health

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
tonyedgecombe

One Day of Work a Week Is Most ‘Effective’ Dose for Mental Health

Post by tonyedgecombe »

One days paid work a week is the optimum according to a study from Salford University:

https://www.salford.ac.uk/news/articles ... ts-of-work

This is for men. Bad luck ladies, you need to work 20 to get the same effect.

trfie

Re: One Day of Work a Week Is Most ‘Effective’ Dose for Mental Health

Post by trfie »

The study could be highly flawed, there was no link to the actual paper at least. How do we know that the ppl working 8 hrs/week were not better off financially, and so chose to work fewer hours? Or maybe they were retirees? How many men and women were in the study so we get an idea of whether the difference in hours was statistically significant? There was no discussion of any variables that might affect the outcomes.

Also the authors clearly were heavily biased toward a shorter work week, making all kinds of recommendations for it. One wonders whether it could have biased the study.
But hard to make any conclusions without seeing the paper.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

trfie wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:26 pm
How do we know that the ppl working 8 hrs/week were not better off financially, and so chose to work fewer hours? Or maybe they were retirees?
It does say the subjects moved from unemployment into work.

trfie

Post by trfie »

Yes, but was unemployment being measured properly? Technically it's ppl who are looking for a job but do not have one. I recently had no "job" and became employed, but I was not unemployed previously because I was not looking for work. Similarly, if a retiree went from 0 hours/week to 8 hours/week, hopefully it was not counted as moving from unemployment to employment.