Hello from Salzburg

Say hello!!
Gerald

Hello from Salzburg

Post by Gerald »

Hello everybody,

at 33 years old I'm starting my journey to financial independence quite late, but rather now than realising it at an age of 50.

I came across this idea at the end of 2018 while I was searching the web for ways to invest my money. Coming from Germany (Bavaria) with no background in finances, the only way I knew to save money was a savings account or a building loan contract. The entry was MMM's "shockingly simple math behind early retirement" which hit me like a bolt of lightning. As an analytical and data loving person I quickly understood the principles behind it.
Quickly after that, I found Jacob's ERE, read his book, and since then am looking for ways to improve my living. My girlfriend has already called me obsessive :shock:

At the moment (since 09/18) I work as a project engineer in the field of injection moulding. But being an engineer I don't consider as my only profession. I made an apprenticeship as an industrial mechanic, I have a truck driver's licence, I was studying materials engineering and sports technology. I worked as a salesman for bicycles and helmets (I do all my bike repairs of course). I have made trainings on bread baking, felting, crocheting, sewing, grinding knives, scytheing and pruning of trees. All things where I'm no expert but I know how to finish the task. I have a hunting license and I was building numerous skis, snowboards and longboards as a side hustle. I'm doing repairs on my laptop, which at 9 years old (ThinkPad T410), with a new SSD Harddrive, Windows 10 operating system and a fresh battery is as fast as my laptop at work. On our balcony we grow tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries and a handfull different herbs.

At the beginning of 2016 I quit my old job, bought a VW campervan and toured through Europe with it. I became a car mechanic during that time, which cost me blood, sweat and many, many tears.

Having never truly written down my skills I'd consider myself pretty much self-reliant.

One question: DW-wife and DH-husband, I get that. But what do the abbreviations exactly mean?

Thanks for reading, I will start a journal soon, to track my expenses and hopefully get more ideas on how to reach FI.

Gerald

Jean

Re: Hello from Salzburg

Post by Jean »

Your skillset is impressive. Welcome!

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome Gerald!

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Congratulations on your path. It seems like MMM was the gateway drug to ERE for many (it was for me).
I will thank Pete forever, but I am very happy I found Jacob and ERE, I just feel more “comfortable” here.
Salzburg is a beautiful city

Gerald

Post by Gerald »

bigato wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:46 am
Be welcome, it looks like you fit right in here!
DW = Dear Wife
DH = Dear Husband
SO = Significant Other
Ha, thanks!