classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Stahlmann

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Stahlmann »

jacob wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 am
[...] once you climb and reached the top of Mt Everest, you go climb or do something else instead of trying to make the initial climb so hard by walking backwards, naked, w/o oxygen [...]
In "true" high mountaineering groups you would simply clached for implying that climbing high mountains with oxygen is an achievement. They believe that most of such feats got "pauperized" as too many people got rich and started seeing this as opportunity to "check the limits" (of course with "untold", but paid help of local people (*)+oxygen). This somehow coincides with popularization of triathlon. In both cases we can observe unnecessary deaths (heart failure, deterioration etc).

(*) Interestingly most records don't show local natives who are simply genetically superior in comparison to white poor boys (in this particular task). I know that the former weren't interested in getting no near the top due to religion issues, but they place pretty high in "extreme stats", because of guiding and occasional rescue actions. Also for example, compare shoes of Westerners and local porters :lol:. https://youtu.be/kgaJETjV3to?t=477 (yes, this isn't from summit push, but still can present perspective to #firstworldproblems)

You also gonna get banned if you suggest rest of the "ways" of making hiking more difficult.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

c_L wrote: taking some leadership roles in community activities
I think you will find that this is key.

classical_Liberal wrote:
Like in video games, where folks like us tend to build a character, or ship, or civilization so well that is ruins the rest of the game. So too we can build our financial situation so well, that the end becomes a disappointment because we made it too easy.
jacob wrote:
Yes, but ... isn't the point mastering the "earning"-game to play a new game?
Money will naturally flow towards you any time you do the work that people who have money want you to do, and they are aware of your work. People who do not have money, (whether this is literally, subjectively, or relatively true), will send other stuff your way when you do the work they want you to do, and they are aware of your work.

So, if/when you construct the landscape of your domain in such a way that you no longer need to do the work other people want you to do in order to increase the flow of money into your domain, it may be wise to consider what other flows from other people you may eventually want. Sometimes, if you live in an affluent society, money is one of the easiest flows to create. It is only when you are situated on a perfectly level playing field of peers across your range, as well as your domain, that money will not tend towards flowing at all. However, this is sometimes due to the trivial case where Domain = Range.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think you are telling me to take the time to deliberately design a social network, in the same way I have taken the time to deliberately design financial flows. This is a great idea, how would you suggest I go about taking inventory on my potential future needs/desires from non-financial yields of said social network?
Well, the first thing to notice would be that your financial flows do occur within a social network, because money is mostly a human invention/convention. As in, "I want to feel secure, so I invest in U.S. Treasuries."

That said, the simplest way to take an inventory of potential needs/desires would be to look at a big list of Values and do some clarification. For example:https://www.threadsculture.com/core-values-examples Then think about whether a social framework which models or complements this value would best grow it. For instance, you might be best served associating with similarly physically fit people to reinforce that value, but charity requires recipient. Usually it is more complex than this.

My garden project is out in the open in an urban area, so it is very common for people to approach and start a conversation with me. Recently, my garden partner was joking about how that never happens to him when he is there by himself. This is because my appearance and manner makes me very "approachable" and his does not. He might prefer to be more "approachable" and I might prefer to be less "approachable", and self-aware alter our appearance or behavior in alignment with that desire.

All of our interactions with other humans are based on appearance and/or behavior, and usually it is the case that if you think of a Value, and then you think of behavior from others that would exhibit or reinforce that value, and you think of what qualities would solicit that behavior from you, then those qualities/behaviors will likely solicit that behavior from others. For example, let's say you value Admiration, and you think you will feel Admired when a room full of people is focused on you with their attention or even maybe clapping for you, so you think of situations when you felt compelled to give somebody your full attention and then clap, and you do your best to mimic/learn the behavior set or skills of that person.

Really no different than thinking about how water moves through and across a landscape, except you are considering behaviors of free-roaming creatures in context where they are part of your experience.

classical_Liberal

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that "you" wanted admiration. It was just an easy example.

classical_Liberal

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I would do it, the potential benefit (you realize 6 months off at a time is ideal!) far outweighs the negative (you quit after 6 months, realizing no work is awesome at the time).

Then again, your alternative is not necessarily no income. You could still do 1-2 days a month to bridge the gap and pad the stache, right?

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Circle:semi-circle::full-time work:X

Circle:semi-circle::ERE:Y

X=Y

Taking this opportunity is a no-brainer in my book. You literally have nothing to lose by trying it out. If it doesn't work out, go back to your original plan, which, I think, was only a slightly different version of semi-ere.

classical_Liberal

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 am
One of my biggest worries with the 1 day a week type of work is that I'll waste too much time being annoyed with it.
Bingo
I tend to be an all in or all out personality anyway, so this may end up suiting me even better.
Bango
Plus it would jive with what the GF wants to do with her work as well.
Boingo

And with 6 months off in between 6 month stints, I don't think you'll have time to burn out so this concern seems a quite minimal risk:
My biggest issue with this is I have to work full time while working, and will have no more control of my schedule during those periods than I do now.
You can do anything for 6 months, especially if you know that it's buying you 6 months to do anything you want. Not one person in a thousand has that luxury. Pulling the ripchord and bouncing into a 1-day a week gig has very few barriers to executing, right? A value-positive option has fallen into your lap. I'd exercise it and see what it's worth rather than letting it expire worthless.

classical_Liberal

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Congrats again C_L. Confidence and F-U Money have brought you a new lifestyle arrangement to try out and like others said, if you decide it sucks, just do something else. Thanks for posting these experiences.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Yeah, congrats c_L!!! I'm curious how you will like it. You seem pretty happy with the decision :-)

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

This is great, well done! What are your plans for the first 6 months off? If it's anything like me (and others), you might find a good few months in decompression/aimless mode so it might be worth being mindful of that. Good luck and keep us posted :)

MidsizeLebowski

Post by MidsizeLebowski »

Excited for you c_L, your analysis behind everything seems very sound and it's been helpful watching you formulate it over your journal. This work arrangement sounds almost molded to your plan. What's the outdoors exercise of choice as of late? Excited to see how you take to the new lifestyle, congrats!

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Wow! I've been a bit out of the loop so I missed the last couple weeks of updates. That is super exciting and I think that is awesome with the 6 months on, 6 months off potential. It does make me think about my recent decision to stay full time employee versus going contract (but I'm also at peace with my decision and am fine with it for now -- but in the future...).

I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. And that is really an ERE dream.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Glad to hear the pieces are coming together, your journal is exciting to read and I hope to have a similar story in a few years.

Bikes are the best!!

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

bah gawd that's a great setup you have c_L!
I'll definitely have to look at nursing when I'll be closer to ERE figures