Van Build!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Frita

Re: Van Build!

Post by Frita »

Congrats! Have you named your van? (Ours is named Rusty.)

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

I haven't named it. Another friend also suggested I name the van, but I'm not that attached to it, so I haven't spent time thinking about it.

intellectualpersuit

Post by intellectualpersuit »

What does Rusty represent...? :?

Frita

Post by Frita »

@mathivetse
I notice quite a few people name their vans. One of my bikes, my favorite The Blue Goose, is named. Either a name comes to me or it doesn’t.

@intellectualpersuit
Rusty refers to the upholstery color, not the body condition. We wanted something androgynous.

mferson

Post by mferson »

I've been thinking about getting a used van and convert it. I would install some 4wd parts like a suspension system to accommodate bigger tires. I would remove the seats and add a mattress or sleeping bag, a charging port for my laptop and gadgets, camp stove, a small wash bucket, a cooler and insulating material on the floor and walls.

C40

Post by C40 »

Chances are, you don't need the suspension upgrade, or larger tires. Try it without those upgrades first. Your biggest limitation would probably be if the van has an open differential. On my van I solved that with a Lunchbox Locker, which cost something like $400 and has worked great so far. I did also put on some pretty knobby tires that are slightly bigger, but I'm not sure whether those were really needed. (I just sized a little bit up and they fit ok except some rubbing of the front tires at full turn lock)

(I'm assuming you're talking about the older style truck-chassis vans (Like a Chevy Express), and not the newer euro-vans, like the Sprinter/Promaster/etc. If you are thinking a Euro-van but want good off-road capability, buy a truck-based van with a high-top, or put a high top on one yourself)

IntellectualWatcher

Post by IntellectualWatcher »

I have considered doing something similar. I am just having a difficult time pulling the trigger. I found a van that fits my needs and I am handy when it comes to assembly and things of that nature. I am just worried that I will hate living in such a small space after a couple of months. Has anybody moved into a van only to find out it isn't for them?

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

After a month and a half in my van, I decided to hang in the towel. I got robbed of a few things, so I didn't really feel secure in the van anymore. In the month in a half that I lived in the van I also found that I didn't like needing to be out all day (since my van was uninsulated it was uninhabitable during the day due to the temperature).

If I had to live in a van again, I'd do a few things differently.
  • Park in a neighborhood with van dwellers I know already (so I'd feel safer and also would be less likely to be robbed during the day)
  • Get an RV or already built out high top van. This lowers the financial upside, but I'd probably last longer term in a place I can spend time in during the day comfortably. [Or completely build out a van myself before living in it.]
  • Get a van I'm comfortable driving everyday. I was uncomfortable driving it because it was so old and I didn't want to cause anymore wear and tear. An alternative to getting a newer or lower mileage vehicle would be to gain confidence in my auto maintenance skills, so I wouldn't worry if I had to do extra work from the extra mileage I was putting on the van.
I'm back in an apartment now and I think it suits me better. I'm not sure the changes I would make next time would have changed my dislike of the lifestyle even if it would have made it possible for me to live in a van longer.

Frita

Post by Frita »

@mathiverse
Hey, you learned something. Will you use your van for trips or weekend get-aways?