Folding Bikes / Trikes

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
enigmaT120

Re: Folding Bikes / Trikes

Post by enigmaT120 »

That dude must wax or something. It always looks weird to me, though I manscape.

I was a very late bloomer physically, like not until my late 30s could I even gain muscle from lifting weights. I'm hoping I'll also be a very late wilter.

And you're too far away.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@enigmaT120:

That makes sense. I was an early bloomer and a late bloomer, but now I am blown blowsy. (sigh)

mferson

Post by mferson »

I'm thinking of getting a Vigor P9 bike because I heard good reviews about it and it is not too expensive.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Now that I'm autocrossing a ton and have sampled the joys of riding a bicycle around a large paddock, I've come to realize that a folding bike is probably what best meets my need. I used my mountain bike this summer, but it had to be transported via my father-in-law's motorhome as my Ford Focus ST is not well-suited for a bike rack.

Sturdiness, rear rack, fenders, kickstand, & folding pedals are the desireable features. Many speeds is a luxury since autocross sites are generally flat (or flat-ish), but most of the folders have 6, 7, or 8-spds. The Bromley's folded size capability is not needed, especially at their price! I've had at look at reviews and videos and came to the conclusion that the cheapest folders are probably a poor choice. And with my desired features, the price goes up a bit... fortunately it looks like there are a decent number on craigslist and I've got until Feb or Mar before the purchase becomes more urgent.

In the price range I'm considering, the Schwinn Adapt 1 and the Giant Expressway stand out. Pluses for the Expressway are that reviewers say it most feels like a "real" bike when riding and they occasionally pop up used on craigslist. The Adapt might be too new on the market to find a used one.

Any comments?

Chris

Post by Chris »

In my folding bike experience, I would say the frame stiffness is decent. The midframe locking mechanisms are usually pretty beefy, and doesn't cause flexing. The problem with most folders is that smaller wheels require the seatpost and steer tube need to be extra long to accommodate the rider. So with a hard pull on the handlebars, you can sometimes feel some flex, at least on mine. Mine is an aluminum bike; not sure if steel bikes would have the same issue. It doesn't impact my enjoyment of riding it though.

George the original one

Of course now I'm dealing with a craigslist flake that either doesn't understand how the technology works or is just a beach bum who doesn't know how to follow through on a potential sale. Their ad has been up for 30 days now apparently renewed weekly, my first email was ignored, my second email was answered with "I still have the bike", and my reply asking for address & time for an appointment has gone unanswered. They don't have an address or phone number listed in their ad.

George the original one

It took a week and the meeting finally happens. Have him demonstrate how the bike folds, try folding it myself, adjust the seat & handlebars for my height, ride around the parking lot to check brakes & shift through the gears, and the deal is done in 8 minutes. Why do so many craigslist people make it so difficult?!?

Anyway, yes, the Giant Expressway 1 feels like a normal bike when riding. It is not really for commuters, at least not in the same way a Bromley is. Nor is it a backpack bike. It does seem to be a bike you can stow inside a vehicle (like behind pickup seats or in the trunk of a hatchback) to take & use on trips as a road bike(*). It feels rugged enough to survive mishandling. The pedals fold in addition to the frame & handlebars and you're ready to transport/stow in 30 seconds even when fumbling.

(*) Going fishing Sunday, so I'll try it on a gravel road instead of using my mountain bike. Not expecting much because 20" wheels, but at least I'll have the experience.

George the original one

Gravel road, rode a mile... yeah, the Expressway can do gravel roads, but it's not a pleasing experience. With those 20" tires, every stone out of place and bump deflects the steering, so one does not try building any speed for fear of being sent towards a cliff or tree.

larsz

Post by larsz »

Pros of having a foldable bike is it weighs lesser than the regular bikes and I agree it is easier to bring it when commuting. What I like about it is when I bring it to subway it is easier to carry it up and down the stairs.

sky

Post by sky »

What is the use case for a folding bike?

Here are some cases that I can think of:

Short distance bike travel (2-5 miles)
Ride to grocery store, fold and bring inside shopping with you
Carry in car to urban/walkable area
Ride to transit, then fold and take on bus/train to urban/walkable area
Fold as luggage for air travel to urban/walkable areas
Carry on boat, use for shore travel

Of these uses, my interest is mainly in using a folding bike to get groceries. Is it really practical to ride a bike to the store, fold it up and go shopping with it? I would hope that it fits under a shopping cart. I have heard that at least some folding bikes can be rolled around with a bag of some kind and used as a shopping cart. If I had a folding bike I would set it up with a bag or panniers and keep it ready for use for shopping. In my case, I have a good grocery store about a mile away, and can take back roads to get there relatively safely. I can also walk there and carry my groceries home in a backpack, but it would be nice to not have to carry the groceries on my back.

The reason I would consider a folding bike is due to its small storage size. I have a number of bikes and they take up a lot of space. I don't like to take my good bikes to the store for fear of theft, although this could be overcome with a good lock. I see used folding bikes for sale for about $200 in my area. Using a folding bike for shopping would further reduce my need for a car.

To those who have used a folding bike, is it realistic to use one for grocery shopping? Are there any other benefits or drawbacks to using a folding bike that I should know about?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

sky wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:38 am
Of these uses, my interest is mainly in using a folding bike to get groceries. Is it really practical to ride a bike to the store, fold it up and go shopping with it? I would hope that it fits under a shopping cart.
I had a stripped down Dahon Boardwalk. I would rather chain it up outside than trying to haul 25 pounds of metal wheels around in a pokey tote bag (the size of a carry on) in a supermarket. I doubt it would fit under the cart. I don't know if they make panniers for bikes with 20" wheels. Given that you can't fold the wheels, that's a good indication of how much space it takes up when folded.

As far as I'm concerned the main benefit of a folding bike is that you can easily haul it into an office for the commute and store it there. Ditto if you take your bike to visit someone and avoid leaving it in the street. And you can more easily bring it along in a car (w/o external racks) w/o taking up most of the trunk. That's it.

Chris

Post by Chris »

sky wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:38 am
I have a number of bikes and they take up a lot of space. I don't like to take my good bikes to the store for fear of theft, although this could be overcome with a good lock.
Sounds like instead of a folder, maybe you'd do better with a crappy bike (-;

I have a folder and love it. It's aluminum, so not too heavy, but doesn't fold small enough to fit under a shopping cart. Smaller folding bikes (16" wheels) probably would, but then you'd be compromising in other ways.

When I take it shopping, I either walk it unfolded through the store (during light shopping) or leave it locked outside the store. One advantage is that it's easy to lockup completely: by folding in half, one u-lock can secure the frame and both wheels.

sky

Post by sky »

How far do you typically ride it?

Do you use it for commuting?

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I had a folding bike, a Brompton for several years. I would never want to haul it around a store. I used to commute 12 plus miles and it was awesome. I hopped on two buses and biked a few miles and it made the whole commute easy and fun.

I second the cheap bike for groceries. Or painting and scuffing up a current bike.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

I usually do my shopping by Brompton. I often use it as a cart with the front bag clicked on. Quite handy when going for small loads. For large loads, I usually fold my bike and put it on the platform under the shopping cart. That way, I can stuff the front bag and a cardboard box on the rear carrier.

As practical as it is, I wouldn't get a Brompton just for shopping though. They're not exactly cheap to buy. Other ways to justify getting one:

- Take it inside with me everywhere. No parking and locking in suspicious places. Mine has been at the opera, cinema, restaurants and cafes (rarely, but it happens), under my office desk, inside national and EU parliament. That last one did require some insistence.

- On the rare occasion I needed to leave it behind, I put it into a locker.

- Easy to combine with train, bus and to some extent plane.

- Doubles as a holiday bicycle. Camping trips with a Brompton, luggage in the front bag and a tent in the back are perfectly feasible.

- Low maintenance.

- High resale value.

- Super compact storage at home. We store ours next to the front door.

- Can potentially save you the cost of a car.

- Super sturdy. The weak points are:
- the handlebars. There's a risk of aluminium fatigue, especially if pulling on it a lot riding uphill very often.
- the rear carrier. I've had the vertical standoffs break a few times. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with some fiddling though.

My first one has paid for itself umpteen times over in the 23 years I've owned it...