Van Build!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
TopHatFox

Van Build!

Post by TopHatFox »

If I'm gonna do this van thing, I'll need to actually buy a van and build it up. I'm thinking of buying a white, non-elongated work man's van. They seem the most incognito, and like they can fit anywhere. I think I'll just add plywood over the back two tires to fit a bed, and then place a desk and cooler in the center of it, a la Vanabode. It seems like the fastest way to make the van build happen.

intellectualpersuit

Re: Van Build!

Post by intellectualpersuit »

What's your budget?

daylen

Post by daylen »

You could break down the construction process into three stages.

1. Bed, cooler, and desk.
2. Insulation, basic storage, and gas kitchen system.
3. Power system, ventilation, and cabinet storage.

Or something like that.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

When are you coming to New Orleans? The people who were living in a van on my street moved so there is a vacancy...

Frita

Post by Frita »

What model, make, and year of van?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

If you see a Transit for a good price, you can sleep lengthwise down one side if you are 6'1 or shorter, and have room on the other to unfold a camp chair (and desk, if you want). Put your cooler and other stuff under your bed and on the passenger seat area. That's the way I did it.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Probs $10K(?) for the van and build-out.

Then 6K/yr for ongoing expenses, but I don't really want to dip into portfolio if I can help it.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@unemployable, don't want to get overwhelmed with ideas, but thank you!

Simple, easy, and improvable over time is better atm

Jean

Post by Jean »

How tall are you?

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

daylen wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 am

1. Bed, cooler, and desk.
2. Insulation, basic storage, and gas kitchen system.
3. Power system, ventilation, and cabinet storage.

Or something like that.
What about basic sanitation?
4. Some way of doing dishes, sponge bath ect.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

5’ 10 »

daylen

Post by daylen »

Who needs sanitation when you have a river.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Just a fold-able washtub with a sponge and some water is fine

Jean

Post by Jean »

How expensive shortening surgery is in Miami? Because then you coule sleep sideway and save a lot of Space

C40

Post by C40 »

If you’re talking the older style cargo vans, check the widths. I believe the Dodge versions are a bit wider. I’m 5’10” and fit A-OK cross-wise in mine. If you’re not aware already, the CheapRVLiving forum has a build journal subsection that is quite good for looking through. You can just pick the ones you like the style of for looking through. A large portion of that forum/posts should be ignored though.

For bathing it has always worked plenty well for me to just put a towel on the floor to sit on, and rub myself with a wet bandana. No basin or tub or anything much needed.

If you’re able to find one or willing to add a high top, being able to stand up inside the van is very, very nice. I guess if you’re doing a really simple build where you won’t be doing a bunch of different things in the van (like cooking all our meals, spending long periods of one inside) it may not matter much, and having a comfortable and ergonomic chair becomes more important.

sky

Post by sky »

Adventurevanman recently rebuilt his van and it is a very good example of a standard van with a somewhat stealthy build.

https://youtu.be/Pg_tvjaGXLY

Your biggest challenge will be hot weather.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Bigato's advice are great. Another way coule be to buy a very cheap car. Jerry rig a spot for your camping matress and a few crates for your stuff and start partially living there. When your car dies, you'll have a good Idea of what you need and Can buy and build a better suited vehicle.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

I'm in the process of building out a van to move into at the end of the month. I want to spend a decent amount of my free time in the van, but I also work at a company that provides a lot of amenities and I won't be traveling with the van, just living in it, so I can skip a decent amount of building such as the bathroom and kitchen. I'm currently only building out the following as a result.

* Flooring (vinyl sheet flooring)
* Insulation
* Ceiling fan
* Solar system
* Bed platform
* Crates for storage

I already have a tv dinner table which I believe will be suitable as a desk (though that means I have to store it when it's not in use).

I have a Ford Econoline which I think is similar to the vans you are thinking about getting. The vans like mine were significantly cheaper than the high top vans and I wanted to spend the minimum amount on the van itself. After checking out a few built out smaller vans I found the difference in comfort wasn't too significant for my purposes.

I'm 6 feet tall and I could easily lay diagonally on a bed platform and fit comfortably when I tried in another person's van, so my bed will be across the back of the van. I couldn't fit straight across without being slightly scrunched up though. When I measured my van, it was 6 ft across at the height my bed will be.

I'm looking forward to moving in! The process of getting the van ready is also super fun and interesting. It's nice to have a project like this to come home to after work.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

I moved into the van on at the beginning of this month since my lease ended. In the end, I only had time to add insulation to the floor and a plywood subfloor. XD It's been a great change. My spreadsheets already show the difference. Not paying $2k+ a month on rent and utilities really makes keeping a high savings rate easy.

I will eventually add more insulation, add a ceiling fan, and build a bed platform. For now, I sleep on a foam mattress pad on the floor and have crates around with clothes, cleaning supplies, and other things.

ETA: I spend barely any time in the van. I thought I'd want to lounge around in it, but I spend my leisure time at the office instead and only come back to sleep.