3.5 hrs of Live Youtube with Paul Wheaton

Questions and comments
Fish

Re: 3.5 hrs of Live Youtube with Paul Wheaton

Post by Fish »

It was a nice discussion from about 1:50:00 to the end where PW and Jacob discussed various strategies for passive income, followed by PW’s “Better Extreme Early Retirement” (BEER) idea, and concluded with the effective but overlooked tip of sharing stuff (housing etc.) to dramatically cut expenses.

BEER is more or less working a full-time job and devoting some effort to generating passive income streams and continuing until the passive income exceeds expenses.

For me it is after listening to this section that the whole discussion is put in context. PW is essentially trying to solve the problem of how to get from point A to B (from wage-slave consumer “Ferd” to FI permaculture homesteader “Gert”) by suggesting these radically deviant financial strategies.

Edited to add bookmarks for selective viewers:
2:51:15 - The “BEER” plan
3:01:55 - A clever recipe for more luxuriant living
3:16:45 - Stop here. Nothing of interest after this point.

PW has a big list of residual income stream ideas here:
https://permies.com/t/52364

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I watched this in its entirety in a few sessions. If you are a JLF fanboy it is pure bliss. The most interesting part to me was Wheaton's passive income stream ideas. Like him, I find the investment part of ERE the most difficult/ problematic. I know many here are implementing it so it's obviously feasible. It's just the part I struggle with the most and understand the least currently. It's much easier for me to imagine scheming up some scheme where I make $12,000/ year than confidently pulling that from investments.

I also learned that Jacob is the nerd king.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Since I am quite familiar with both forums, the video (although it offered an interesting dynamic)didn't cover much new ground for me. However, I did pick up a copy of "Mortgage Free!" by Rob Roy, and I think it offers some very good advice for those ultimately seeking a lifestyle in almost direct opposition to WSP end of the spectrum.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The book is finished. You can order it here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pa ... world-book

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

index looks interesting. will google not known problems/solutions. good luck with... tbh, I don't what are your goals with it (money? influencing more people?) so I leave it as "in blanco" wishes :lol:

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I think Paul Wheaton and I have a bit of a[n intermittent] bromance going in terms overall societal goals and the way we think about the world. Perhaps this stems from being some of the very few representatives of "actionable systems thinking to make a better/sustainable world"(tm) in the known universe (If that sounded conceited, I'd love to know more examples/Maybe I need to get out more ... ). Our means/methods are different in that he's a country bumpkin (growing his own food and all) and I'm a city boy (living in the DIY/financial waste stream of consumer society). Also he has no trust in conventional finance and a lot of trust in online businesses, whereas I'm the other way around.

However, what I think we have in common is that we want to make the world better by finding a way to live it by personal example as opposed to the conventional way of trying to protest-march, raise awareness, or get politicians to regulate whatever we disagree with. IOW, we prefer creating to protesting. Voting with our feet.

Basically, I consider him an ally. I haven't read the book (beyond a few sections as discussed in the podcast above) but I'm sure our goals are aligned.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I was expecting to open the link and find the book you've been working on. Bubble definitely bursted.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Anybody interested in sharing a pledge so that we can get the book for a very reasonable amount of money?

daylen

Post by daylen »

jacob wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:09 pm
I very few representatives of "actionable systems thinking to make a better/sustainable world"(tm) in the known universe (If that sounded conceited, I'd love to know more examples/Maybe I need to get out more ... ).
Toby Hemenway may fit this description; he wrote "Gaia's Garden" and "The Permaculture City".

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I backed the e-book because international shipping is crazy expensive.
I'm on his mailing list, if you back before Friday you get a ridiculously long list of ebooks, videos and more;
And for that same $1 spent before Friday at 2, you also get:

- ?Common Weeds and Wild Edibles of the World? full length movie by Sergei Boutenko
- Chapters 1-10 of ?Green Prosperity: Quit Your Job, Live Your Dreams? by Thomas Elpel
- ?Grow a Salad in Your City Apartment? eBook by Rosemary Hansen
- ?Learning to Spin on a Drop Spindle? eBook by Raven Ranson
- 2 Chapters from ?To Catch the Rain? + rainwater calculation chart by Lonny Grafman
- ?Native Bee Guide? by Dave Hunter
- An hour long presentation by Tim Barker about ram pumps
- Chapters 1-4 from ?Dairy Farming: The Beautiful Way? by Adam Klaus
- a two hour long presentation by Jacqueline Freeman about Farm and Animal relationships
- Paul's 4 hour presentation on animals in the landscape
- a two hour presentation on money and finance for permies by Jocelyn Campbell
- Movie about the 12 rocket mass heaters at Wheaton Labs.
- Hugelkultur chapter from ?Edible Landscaping with a Permaculture Twist? from Michael Judd
- Uncle Mud's EZ Cob Rocket Stove from Chris McClellan (aka Uncle Mud)
- The Spring 2019 issue of Communities Magazine from ic.org
- Thermophilic Composting for the Garden or Homestead pdf from Alan Booker
- Everyday Artisans' Common Sense Approach to Bread Making
- Water Retention Landscapes slides from Zach Weiss
- Permaculture Applications for the Commercial Farm slides from Neil Bertrando
- "Six Quick Stove Tricks" from Ernie and Erica Wisner
- Wading Pool Aquaponics plans from AutoMicroFarm
- Collection of 14 Permaculture/Homesteading Cheat-Sheets, Worksheets, and Guides from Wild Homesteading
- Unofficial Companion Guide to the Rocket Oven DVD from Wild Homesteading
- Paul's Hugelkultur Q&A from the Eat Your Dirt Summit from Amanda Smith
- Module 1: "Dare to Dream" from the Garden Mastery Academy by Amanda Smith
- "The Chemerical Cookbook: Helping you detoxify your world" by Andrew Nisker of Take Action Films
- Intro & Chapter 1 of "Together Resilient: Building Community in the Age of Climate Disruption" by Ma'ikwe Ludwig
- Tree fractal art from Dave Burton
- Diego Footer's presentation on "15 Lessons Learned from Driving Headlong into a Permaculture Based Homestead" from the Eat Your Dirt Summit from Amanda Smith
- An Afternoon at Skeleton Falls video from Artful Productions
- Seed Saving video from the Basics of Plant Propagation Course from PermaEthos

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jacob wrote:Perhaps this stems from being some of the very few representatives of "actionable systems thinking to make a better/sustainable world"(tm) in the known universe (If that sounded conceited, I'd love to know more examples/Maybe I need to get out more ... )
Well, maybe David Fleming or John Michael Greer? Maybe some thoughtful green tech advocate? Oh, I know, it would have to be somebody who primarily addresses energy rather than food or money. Maybe Charles Hall or Vaclav Smil? Albert Howard who wrote "The Waste Products of Agriculture" in 1931 might be my nominee for most prescient.

Lemon

Post by Lemon »

Seppia wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Anybody interested in sharing a pledge so that we can get the book for a very reasonable amount of money?
Because of steep shipping?
This is making me debate ebook but every time I have got an ebook rather than physical copy for this reason I have regretted it within a year so will probably go for paper. If people want to share to try and save shipping I am ok with that although as Vexed has said timeline is short for the bonuses so let me know sharpish if you want to do this!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm in and plan on taking the paper books that come with my pledge. I'm not sure I'll have any extra, but if I do I'll offer them up here.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I finally got around to checking this out--part if it, anyway. Interesting, I guess, although slightly offputting listening as the sort of person who has done and is doing everything the wrong way. I had to start skipping around when they got to the topic of corporate assassins knocking off all the "activists". Jacob said something I liked the sound of--getting to the point where money isn't a critical resource. I've of course done it the wrong way: I have more than average by a good margin (look up the average, that's not much of a brag), and I spend less than average. My Achilles' Heel is that even looking forward my side interests aren't particularly valuable beyond allowing me to explore whimsy. Once I get settled I'll probably do some gardening, but probably won't get anywhere near permaculture, for example. I guess getting your "million dollars" first kills much of the drive in us less imaginative types to hone and perfect. The temptation to do things just for the love of the doing (idealized amateur) is too great. Capital of any form that comes from that is likely to be accidental and go unexploited. It's interesting to think about what might have been had I been exposed to the ideas before rounding the turn into the home stretch. I guess there's no shame in stopping a little beyond "Embracing Efficiency" then shooting for "Chop Wood; Carry Water" along a different dimension.

Shawn Klassen-Koop

Post by Shawn Klassen-Koop »

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd stop in and say thanks so much to those who have already pledged to our project! And a big thanks to jacob for sharing it here at ERE!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try and stop in and answer where I can.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I have some spare gift codes for some of the goodies listed a few posts above. PM me if you want any and tell me which ones you're interested in.

Priority will be given to those who have posted a picture of their own work/garden in a journal or in the garden log thread, so include a link to one of your posts in the PM.

paul wheaton

Post by paul wheaton »

The book is done, published and for sale. Thanks to the kickstarter, we were able to hire pros to do an audiobook too. Reviews have been rock solid.

http://permies.com/bwb

Nuuka

Post by Nuuka »

I enjoyed discussion. Especially internal/external motivation and the need for ”Mr Slappy” was insightful.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

I enjoyed listening to this interview.

I didn't realize Jacob had spent around 2,500 hours on the book. Like Paul, I had assumed the blog came first, then the book as a rehashing of the blog, so I wouldn't have guessed that much time was spent on it.

Also interesting to hear the 300 - 1000 hours of investing studies estimate again.