Cleaning & Hygiene Supplies, et al

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@Rex: It works great for me, even in 90F+... However, I generally keep one in my desk at work and apply it after a lunch sweat, as a precaution. However, IMO it works great. 80% of net reviews seem to agree.
My GF said it didn't work well enough for her, however... Maybe she's just used to scented.

Rex

Post by Rex »

@JohnnyH: That's good to know; I think I'll give it a try... heck, I know one of my main expenses (as little as my direct expenses are, as I'm a University student, not including loans) are in toiletries, so it'd be nice to have something that would work just as well - if not better than my current deodorant, since I tend to be picky when my deodorant does have a scent - and cost next to nothing. Now to order some and try it out.
[Edit: Changed wording, as previously it gave an incorrect impression - walking around in eastern NC heat during the summer with a messenger bag can be unpleasant at times, though, especially if deodorant fails.]

GuelphDC

Post by GuelphDC »

I have a hair trimmer, and grow a beard as well as keep my hair cut short.
I haven't used soap/shampoo/deodorant in a while and nobody (including my wife) is saying anything about smells, so that's money saved to me. I figure humans lived for quite a while without this stuff, as long as I'm not stinking up my office at work I don't see the need.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@Rex: wow, so young -yet looking at ERE! You will do great... When I was in my early 20s cost was the main factor... Ramen, hot dogs, processed foods, cheapest toiletries available. As I headed towards my 30s I started to value health more. Now I spend a little more and don't take chances on things like cheap toiletries.
@Guelph: of course! $15 hair trimmer! Been cutting my hair for nearly a decade... I don't even buzz my hair anymore, I've learned to cut the top with scissors and the sides with the clipper.
.. But complete avoidance of all? We used to live with out most things, like beds, computers, books, toothbrushes. Life can be improved (maybe this is subjective) through the use of modern technology, no?

GuelphDC

Post by GuelphDC »

@ Johnny H - I guess I could use that stuff, but most of it is just some sort of chemical and some scent, which isn't really necessary. I shower still, usually twice a day (once at home and once at the gym), I just don't use chemicals. After not using deodorant for a while then trying it again, it burned, so I figured I didn't need it.

Rex

Post by Rex »

@JohnnyH: Although I'm definitely interested in ERE, or at least simply working because I like it, not because I need the money just to make it through the week, I do admit I still have quite a few hurdles. I need to get into the habit of cooking more - which isn't that bad, since that's how I'll be eating on campus this year - though I have been looking at prices on bulk staples at a certain bulk store in the area, and prices really aren't bad (I'm talking around $8 for a 25 pound bag of rice, for example). With that said, I'm still trying to purge a couple hundred books and trying to make back around a third to a half of what I paid for them (which is slow going), and I have issues with collections and a hobby - I have far too many knives (when I can get high quality items and brands at near wholesale price or even less, they're definite investments, even if they take up a bit of room. I think they'd be classified as liquid assets, though, now that I think about it), though I'm slowly pairing that down, too. :/
[Edit: Ok, perhaps not liquid assets in the traditional sense, but if worse comes to worse, I could make them available at a couple dollars more than what I paid for them and they'd all be sold - most likely to the same person - within a matter of hours.]

Rex

Post by Rex »

I just placed an order for the Men's Crystal Body Deodorant and a pair of stainless/linerless water bottles, so I'll give it a shot when it makes its way to my door... in about three weeks' time, since a certain website says that it'll ship in a week.
Err, to stay on topic, and to reiterate previous posts of mine, I typically purchase items in bulk, though I was lucky enough to attend a wedding where the groom was in dental school and had both chocolates and Oral B toothbrushes and travel toothpastes as party favors; my father and I walked out of the reception hall with eight Oral B toothbrushes between the two of us by the end of the night; can't beat that in frugalness.

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

I haven't tried this myself, but you apparently can make your own laundry detergent for 10 cents on the dollar.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... &ch=633459

Q

Post by Q »

TSD has a laundry detergent recipe. I've kinda fallen off reading his site, because I feel like I see more and more "smug".
I bought a $400 (could've been more) re-furbed vacuum online for $250 with my bonus, and a years supply of bags for $25. It was Consumer Reports top rated canister vacuum, and they rated it lower for the noise, which isn't a big deal to me. It handles the cat, dog, bird, messes, broken stuff - everything. Top investment.
Tooth items - Costco. Wash items - same, Costco. Although in Santa Cruz you can get some high quality non-sulfate soaps and shampoos. In a pinch, shampoo is soap and soap is shampoo.
Count me in on the Gillette razor too - and the blades last a long time to me. Flea market people sell the blades really really cheap.
Vinegar and baking soda are constant cleaners, trying to eliminate comet from the house. We use wipes from, you guessed it, Costco, for most other cleaning (dog mess, etc)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

TSD is an example of an "over productive" blog... Some of it WAS good, but most of that is buried under verbose heaps of filler.
The time, warehousing the ingredients of making your own soap sound tedious... Especially for someone that does laundry once a month.
It really only takes a small amount of soap to clean clothes. The recommendations on commercial detergents are just plain stupid... Aside from being a waste, it might be bad for you, the drinking water and the environment.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

@Q - what type of vacuum was it? We have an old cheap-o that is about to die, thinking of getting a Dyson, but wondering if the cost is really worth it.
Totally agree about TSD, I read for awhile, but there was too much filler info - mailbags, link days, round-ups, etc. And the comments are terrible compared to ERE and even GRS.
@Jacob - I've tried your shaving method the past 2 days with good success. Just jump out of the shower and shave without drying my face or using gel/cream. It's harder to tell where I've been already (as opposed to when I used shave cream) but a quick run of my hand over my face lets me know.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I also use a double edged safety razor. We use castile soap and make our own toothpaste and deodorant. There are plenty of recipes on the net.
We bought an expensive refurbished Royal vacuum and I am very pleased with it. It's all-metal and dead simple. A motor, brush, and tube with one bend connecting them. Very little to go wrong and user-serviceable if something does. And you can get parts.

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

What about general body cleaning, i.e. bar soap vs. body wash vs. other alternatives?
I noticed someone earlier mentioned not using anything at all and that's something I'm not willing to do. So what's the best/cheapest way to clean yourself in the shower? Making your own soap seems like it could be a good solution but it also could be a bit tricky, especially for those with sensitive skin and whatnot.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Bar soap is the default.
If you want to go old school, use a concoction of salt and olive oil. Rub it on, then rinse it off. My guess is that the soap is cheaper though.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

If you want to go old-school and potentially zero-budget, make your own soap! Sorry, no tutorial here; I've never done it. But I do know that you can get an essential ingredient in real soap, tallow, by rendering your own suet--ask your local farmer and ye shall receive, probably for $0.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

You also need lye which you get from filtering water through wood ashes. This combines with the fat.
Sodium carbonate (washing soda) can be extracted from sea weeds.

Q

Post by Q »

@Kev it's an electrolux canister vacuum - apparently they are big in the EU.
Awesome vacuum and it came with a couple attachments - lately, I've been using it to suck in the flies that sneak in thru the open sliding door on top of its normal duties - they don't "see"it coming!

Debbie M

Post by Debbie M »

If you want extreme solutions (for the Average American anyway), here are some:
* Shaving – just trim your beard with scissors if you’re a man; otherwise don’t shave. (I’ve heard that drying off your razor after each shave or storing it in a cup of oil will keep it lasting longer because it won’t rust.)

* Toilet paper – use “family cloth” (squares of fabric that you wash like cloth diapers) or a bidet

* Cleaner – baking soda for scrubbing, vinegar/water mixture for spray-and-wipe. With re-usable cloths, of course. Hydrogen peroxide for mildew problems.

* Teeth – just use a toothbrush and floss, you don’t need toothpaste.

* Floors – pull up the carpeting and use a broom and a mop.

* Laundry – grated laundry soap + borax + washing soda (you don’t need to add water to make a goo); vinegar in rinse cycle; hang clothes to dry.

* Hair – baking soda to wash, watered down vinegar to rinse

* Periods – silicone cups and/or re-useable fabric pads
That said, I don’t do ALL those things. I use a razor with soap and must have easy soft hair because my razors last forever. I buy recycled toilet paper in bulk--something softer than Scott. I use a sponge (which can be boiled or microwaved between uses) for most cleaning, but paper towels (bought in bulk) for some bathroom cleaning. I use real toothpaste, but just a tiny amount. I use antiperspirant in the summer and deodorant in the other seasons. I’m still using a vacuum cleaner until I pull up the carpeting in those last two rooms. I’m using Dr. Bronner’s soap for shampoo and organic cotton tampons for periods. I also use sunscreen (and take Vitamin D to make up for not getting enough sun).

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

"Family cloth"? Wow... you just crossed the threshold of what I'm willing to tolerate to save money.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

@Debbie M, sweet sponge idea! I hate a smelly sponge. I just microwaved my sponge for 2 minutes on high. In hindsight, I'm thinking maybe a longer duration on lower heat to stay above 100ish F for about 5 minutes, following the same guidelines as preparing untreated water.
Does that sound reasonable? What are your guidelines? Thanks again!