classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Seppia

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Seppia »

Man the 80s!
I’m a “last year Xer” from 1980 and I kinda like how we live in a status of semi permanent irrelevance on a demographic scale. We kinda fly under the radar unnoticed.
Everybody talks only about Boomers ruining the future and those pesky spoiled millennials, while we always get a pass.
I guess it’s karma rewarding us for having to experience hair bands and Milli Vanilli :lol:

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

True!
Man, I think about Cypress Hill alone and I start crying.

But I have to admit I’m in the camp of “grunge was never good”.
My reason for hating is that it displaced Heavy Metal as a popular genre and basically killed it (except for some stuff coming out of Scandinavia there is nothing good in metal after 1995-6).

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Wow. I'm super impressed and humbled that someone put the new calculator to such productive use.

I see a lot of my own journey in your post, from the detailed planning to the realization that the final boss blocking your path is more psychological than financial. I can also relate to your comparison of work to a workout. All I can say is that I'm very confident that no matter what happens in the future I think you have exactly the right thoughtful mindset to adapt and succeed.

classical_Liberal

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Seppia wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:00 am
...But I have to admit I’m in the camp of “grunge was never good”...
Are you going on record to say you dislike Soundgarden?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

yes :lol:

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Wow, this is the update I've(we've?) been waiting to see my man!

Nothing to be afraid of here. Being able to PRN for one shift every other week is incredible! And if we happen to have terrible returns for a few years in a row, AND you fail at other income sources, it's as simple as going back to 2 x per week work and you're easily back in accumulation mode. I will summon J+G and reiterate his sentiment about fear of never trying being worse than fear of failure. You got this! $300k + those optionals is also very close. Don't let them hold you back though!

Looks like we are jumping off around the same time :)

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Congratulations!

I'm glad to hear you are planning on executing this, I semi-expected you to keep making excuses forever. You are beyond fucking golden with that much $$ and a high paying part-time career. One 12 hour shift every 2 weeks! To me that's retired. That's actually less than I'd want to work for any protracted period of time. You also have almost 100% location independence, so you can really optimize where you live to your needs. A 78% chance of success for full retirement is really high. I don't know the actual numbers but I'd wager you're in a better position than most people who are actually about to retire due to old age.

I hear you with the mental difficulties. Again, I think this is why semi-ERE is superior for many people. If you spend 10 or even 5 years in the accumulation phase, you are going to have a hard time entering the withdrawal phase. MadFIentist had a post about this when he retired. IMO, it's mentally easier to start drawing down when you know you can turn the cash flow back on whenever you want. The goal of course is to be able to do so in a way that's amenable to you. One way to look at it is that being a "part-time financial manager" or whatever Jacob calls it, is just one of your part-time jobs/ cash flow sources.

Because this is first and foremost a forum about saving a lot of money to retire early, I think there is too much emphasis on the financial aspects and not enough emphasis on mental and emotional aspects. Instead of framing it from a "what if I run out of money?" perspective, frame it from the perspective of how much freedom, enjoyment and meaning you'll miss out on if you keep working full-time. A lot of forum members who are burnt out and have been working full-time for awhile crave unrestricted freedom. They don't want the added pressure of needing to come up with a side hustle, consult in their field or go back to work part-time. I understand this desire for absolute freedom. I think the way we've come to view work is very harmful. Most people aren't honest with themselves about how bad they have it and how much it's hurting them because everyone is doing the same thing. Give yourself some time off after you retire. I'd be surprised if your perspective on work hasn't changed after taking 6 months off and then working 1/2 to 2 days per week afterwards.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Congrats!! Looking forward to reading about this next chapter.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Awesome. Good work C_L. You're going to kick ass in your adventure. I have this sneaking suspicion you are going to make more money than you expect too because it sounds like you capitalize on serendipity well. Also, from my experience, be aware of the anticlimactic feeling that accompanies large (in-mind) changes, because you still live life moment to moment. Keep on rockin'.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:11 am
It all goes back to an old MMM forum thread, circa 2015?, where you calmly argued your noncorrelation strategy against the VTI index hoards. :lol: I wanted to help you, because your points were so strong, but I didn't know enough yet. After that thread I went out and learned.
Ha! The realization that I was wasting so much energy and frustration on message board debates is one of the things that drove me to make PC. While I enjoy open financial discussions and read them daily, it's nice to have an outlet to share tools and ideas in a format that allows interested people to learn and explore at their own pace without needing to get so caught up in all the noise. I'm really happy that it's part of your learning process, and hearing how people like you use the site helps me continue to learn new things as well.

But enough about me. You're doing great!
Last edited by Tyler9000 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Congratulations! Looking forward to reading about what your next new adventures.

classical_Liberal

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

What is this approach, in greater detail?

Golden Butterfly? Permanent Portfolio? I need some reading material for work today.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

frihet

Post by frihet »

@2B1S
Meb Faber has some white papers on asset allocations. Perfect "work" reading not too academic either. Gives a good overview.

Example

https://mebfaber.com/wp-content/uploads ... 962461.pdf

https://mebfaber.com/white-papers/

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:41 pm

What I DO hope to encourage is folks who have the means, willingness, and preference to earn some income, to look at how little inflow it takes to make a HUGE dent in savings requirements when spending starts to drop. If I had a dime for every FIRE blogospere post I read with someone who hates their job, has a big FU stash, and is still very young (ie under 50), who continues to stick it out for potentially 5 or more years... I would be FI :P . To that crowd, please look at your entire life situation, not just your "number". Work it out and try something new.
Luckily I don't hate my job (at least not yet); however, this is something that has been on my mind for a good part of this year. My "number" was always a cool $1m and this was always conservative (I certainly could live on less) so I decied to I could conceivably FI at $500,000 but only if I add in an income for sanity sake.... Its real simple in this regard...Having 2 buckets of funds:

1.) $500,000 @ 4% = $20,000 a year. This could conceivably cover my family's basic needs. +

2.) Earning $10,000 income per year = The equivalent of having an extra $250,000. This could create flexibility to invest when the market is down, simply to be used for extracurricular spending outside of my basic needs fund, help my son out when needed, etc.

With this little inflow, as you've mentioned, it would be the equivalent of me retiring on $750,000. ($500,000 from bucket 1, $250,000 from bucket 2). Bucket 2 would also keep me intellectually peaked...perhaps this money is coming from a growing business? Something I have always wanted to start for myself.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.