Gus' road to retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
prognastat

Re: Gus' road to retirement

Post by prognastat »

Even if it does fail though, you know have more experience creating an app and going through the process of getting it on the store which will make you more efficient at doing so in future attempts. So even a failure will still be progress.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Augustus wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 pm
One of the main benefits IMO is that one day I'll need health care, and after pursuing one professional field I've realized most professionals are very mediocre but a layman can't tell the difference. One day, if I don't become a professional myself, I'll be one of those laymen at the hospital and won't know who is the moron Dr/nurse vs the good one. It's also very recession proof, always going to need nurses, some day skynet may displace programmers. AND you can do per diem. Checks a lot of boxes. Plus I think biology is cool in general.
Yes, my knowledge is invaluable wrt personal/family healthcare. I've actually joked about starting a business based around being on call for people who need hospital care. "They don't need that, they should do this instead. Don't go down that rabbithole, you'll regret it", etc. Problem, of course, is I'd lose my license quickly. Still, It's a free service for friends and family :D

I'm pretty sure my current distaste would improve with some time off. I also just tend to get bored/frustrated with any career after about five years. So if you're interested, I don't want to dissuade you. The world needs good nurses. And if you're a good nurse you will touch peoples lives in ways you can't imagine as a "civilian".

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Is your work in consulting showing off any benefits yet for yourself or your customers?

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Well I know for myself I tend to get bored with most jobs after about a year or two at best. I know there are some people very high ion conscientiousness that remain fulfilled, by just doing a good job. However, once it gets to the point where I've learned most things there are to learn in a job I tend to get bored.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Augustus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:11 pm
"it doesn't matter how hot a girl is, there's some guy somewhere who is tired of ****ing her," it's crude, but it does make a point, no matter how nice something is we all get tired of it after a long enough time.
I always heard it as "it doesn't matter how hot a girl is, there's some guy somewhere who is tired of her shit". Probably distinction without a difference, but I hear you. I think that's where golden handcuffs come in, right?

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

I am really sorry about your loss, @ Augustus. Life is really, precious ,indeed, with many things that we don't control. I am visiting my parents right now and seeing my old friends, lots of joy and sadness at the same time. My parents' life is very difficult. They are old. They are not practical people. My mom is very ill. Their love, however, is owe inspiring. Hang in there. Take care of people who are still around.
Last edited by Clarice on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Sorry for your loss Augustus.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Sorry to hear it, man. The loss, the hole left behind, the suddenness, the finality - it all sucks.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Sorry to hear!

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I'm sorry for your loss. Having been able to maintain a good relationship for that long it must've been very precious.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

That sucks, but it sounds like you are taking good lessons from it and remembering good times.

Every moment wounds, the last one kills.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Every moment wounds, the last one kills.
Love it!

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Did you pick up a filament or resin one? And have you downloaded Fusion 360 or do you use something else? It's a really fun rabbit hole!

classical_Liberal

SoCal may be expensive, but I just had to drive 2000 miles to see anything similar to your "office environment". FML :roll:

Edit to add: You still have that unused third bedroom :?: :P

Mister Imperceptible

I ate too much ice cream tonight because of your post in the Getting Old Sucks thread. Went for a 45 minute swim at the Y. Then remembered your post and pulled into a Stewart Shoppes. Mint Cookie Crush and French Vanilla were on sale. I ate 3 bowls of ice cream.

Mister Imperceptible

I am experiencing regret.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I'm right there with you, we had a pot luck yesterday and I decided to go off keto and indulge in all the carbs. Ate bout 3 plates of pizza, cake, pie, donuts and more. It was great in the moment, but it didn't take long for both regret and also feeling terrible(tired and sore) set in. At least I guess it's a reminder of why you shouldn't be doing it regularly.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@Augustus Thingiverse is tons of fun. So many things. Best part is realizing some random odd need and finding someone already did the work to make it or something similar. I'm now on my second printer -- still have the first filament one and am going to keep it but my quest for printing really small things lead me to the resin-based printers so I've had one of those for a month (included in last months budget but my wife wasn't too crazy about my decision to buy another one -- went on sale for $370 or so).

@prognastat If you haven't yet, try Fathead pizza. I waited until last week and finally tried it. Way easier to make than I had realized and really good. I'm going to make it again but try rolling the "crust" really thin to make it more of a cracker crust style. Guilt-free keto pizza that is actually good.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I haven't had that particular kind of keto pizza so far. Have had some made with cheese and riced cauliflower that was pretty good, though I assume one made with almond flour would probably turn on more on the crispy side. Only downside is almond flour is so much pricier than regular flour. Though I guess if you compare it to eating out pizza either delivery or at a restaurant it's affordable.

How have you felt about switching to resin based?