Gus' road to retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
Augustus

Re: Gus' road to retirement

Post by Augustus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:41 pm

In the spirit of photo posting, I am currently working at the beach. Behold:

Not a whole lot to report at the moment. I did my taxes, and I can honestly say I am feeling very pro Trump right now, that 20% automatic deduction was really convenient. I have just enough money leftover to buy a van office that I had anticipated paying to the IRS. I've been spending too much on cool books and knick knacks lately, I bought a 3d printer! My wife is teasing about how I'm buying random stuff. But after my best friend died, I'm feeling a lot more urgency on the live for today side of things. I would be really pissed off if I accumulated all this money and died before I could enjoy it. So I'm kind of thinking I'll take that tax windfall and buy the van. But first I'm going to make sure the IRS actually accepts all the deductions my accountant says I can get, I got screwed by that once when the IRS disputed some of it.

Mostly I guess I'm just reevaluating life. My buddy's death has been a huge wake up call. I am having a very hard time motivating myself to do things I don't want to do. Things like not spending on frivolous purchases are also less appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I shouldn't drop below a 50% savings rate, but I don't care if it's 50% instead of 60% if I'm getting some goodies I've been delaying gratification on for years. Like that van office and the 3d printer. Those have been on my bucket list for years, I've just resisted the impulse. I had never planned for anyone to die before 50. Now I see that that is entirely possible and I could be next, so I'm seeking some balance between delayed gratification and enjoying the hell out of life.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Did you pick up a filament or resin one? And have you downloaded Fusion 360 or do you use something else? It's a really fun rabbit hole!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:53 pm

SoCal may be expensive, but I just had to drive 2000 miles to see anything similar to your "office environment". FML :roll:

Edit to add: You still have that unused third bedroom :?: :P

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 pm

@SWB: It's still waiting to be unboxed :( Soon! I have been trying to figure out what to print first though. My daughter wants a unicorn, and I want a Han Solo in Carbonite. Wife still thinks I'm ridiculous. Filament, monoprice entry level printer, $189.

@CL: You may get impaled on unicorns if you try to live in my house, fair warning. Just wait until I get my van office dude! I am SO STOKED. It's super cramped to work in a car, but necessary for conference calls and power source, protip: waves are loud. I'm thinking I'll pick up a solar power "generator" off amazon to avoid having to run the engine to power my measly laptop. Bonus, surfboard fits inside the van so I don't need to worry about some jackass stealing it (apparently that is a thing).

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 pm

I ate too much ice cream tonight because of your post in the Getting Old Sucks thread. Went for a 45 minute swim at the Y. Then remembered your post and pulled into a Stewart Shoppes. Mint Cookie Crush and French Vanilla were on sale. I ate 3 bowls of ice cream.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 am

I am experiencing regret.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am

I'm right there with you, we had a pot luck yesterday and I decided to go off keto and indulge in all the carbs. Ate bout 3 plates of pizza, cake, pie, donuts and more. It was great in the moment, but it didn't take long for both regret and also feeling terrible(tired and sore) set in. At least I guess it's a reminder of why you shouldn't be doing it regularly.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 pm

@Augustus Thingiverse is tons of fun. So many things. Best part is realizing some random odd need and finding someone already did the work to make it or something similar. I'm now on my second printer -- still have the first filament one and am going to keep it but my quest for printing really small things lead me to the resin-based printers so I've had one of those for a month (included in last months budget but my wife wasn't too crazy about my decision to buy another one -- went on sale for $370 or so).

@prognastat If you haven't yet, try Fathead pizza. I waited until last week and finally tried it. Way easier to make than I had realized and really good. I'm going to make it again but try rolling the "crust" really thin to make it more of a cracker crust style. Guilt-free keto pizza that is actually good.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm

I haven't had that particular kind of keto pizza so far. Have had some made with cheese and riced cauliflower that was pretty good, though I assume one made with almond flour would probably turn on more on the crispy side. Only downside is almond flour is so much pricier than regular flour. Though I guess if you compare it to eating out pizza either delivery or at a restaurant it's affordable.

How have you felt about switching to resin based?

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:54 pm

@prognastat Resin has been interesting. I didn't expect the resin to smell so strongly. It is much more of a hassle to work with liquid and it's toxic too of course. For the smell, I ended up spending another $120 or so on an activated charcoal filter, duct fan, duct and motor controller. Apparently, this is the same equipment marijuana growers use! That worked really well -- I put the printer in an enclosure and suck the air through it and vent out the charcoal filter back into the same room. I'm still getting used to working with the liquid. The fine detail is amazing but if I didn't need/want it, I definitely would prefer using a filament printer.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Has the increase in print fidelity been worth the added hassles you encountered?

What kind of prints has it been most valuable for?

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 pm

@prognastat I think so. I'm not 100% sure yet. I want to print N scale things so 1:150 or 1:160 scale. With this resin printer, I can print a 10.5mm tall person and have some detail which is a bit mind blowing to me. It's not super easy because you have supports and such (with it printing upside down hanging down figuring out supports is still tricky for me). So I'm using it to print non-functional models although I do want to try printing some small model train trucks so I can insert some commercial wheel sets and make my own train cars. And similarly print some locomotive shells (the shells clip onto a commercial base that has the electric drive train). So for now I'm tinkering while improving my CAD skills and trying to figure out a way to make this hobby break even in costs.

On the forum/Facebook groups, it seems like most resin printer owners are table top gamers doing miniatures, dentists printing dental things, jewelers printing items to cast and the model railroad/diorama people.