5G Greater threat that Climate Change (or the solution?)

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
stand@desk

5G Greater threat that Climate Change (or the solution?)

Post by stand@desk »

Pretty alarming article here. I have read other articles on male sperm quality greatly declining in short order in the modern digital world.

Plus, you'd expect probably a major spike in cancer with 5G? A lot more cell phone towers are on the way! Hopefully there will still be a few folks around to help pay for our pensions.

Am I missing other/broader implications of the 5G?

Jean

Re: 5G Greater threat that Climate Change (or the solution?)

Post by Jean »

I don't understand why and how the rules where changed so quickly to allow for 5G. I don't see the pro (what's the point of more band when you can already stream video?). I'll buy myself a battery angle grinder.

ZAFCorrection

Re: 5G Greater threat that Climate Change (or the solution?)

Post by ZAFCorrection »

According to the article, 5G uses millimeter waves. For those too lazy to do the \lambda\nu = c conversion to frequency (I am) that is EM radiation from 30 to 300 GHz [1]. EM radiation interacts with matter by a few different mechanisms depending on its frequency as shown here [2]. Microwave radiation, which is what is being discussed here, is absorbed in matter such that it causes rotation or vibration of chemical bonds (see section two of [2]). For the layman that is called getting hotter. That's why the microwave is in the kitchen.

So any problems being caused by cell towers or cell phones are caused through the mechanism of getting too hot. So if your junk is getting hot while you are standing next to a cell tower, move away from it. But there is no secret radiation that you would not notice at the time.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_high_frequency
[2] http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod3.html

Human society has changed a lot in the last couple centuries involving everything from social structures, to light exposure during the day, to things in the food. Not much of it has been tested. It's kind of silly to pin the fertility problem on one piece that actually has been very well studied in general terms. Light/matter interactions are taught in undergraduate physics and chemistry.