Sex Life

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
sree

Post by sree »

Does ERE weigh down your romantic/sex life? After all, it doesn't allow for the $100 fancy restaurant meals, $350 hotel "Romance Package", and the $3,000 jewelry pieces. The SO may not understand why one is not spending the available high assets on the above such items (i.e. because it needs to stay invested in order to bring in income).

Has anyone had this problem, or is it just a matter of finding the right partner?

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Actually, my wife would raise the Titanic on me if I went out and bought her "anymore" expensive babbles or gifts of high dollar genre. We are both well "jeweled" as it stands, and these are extremely meaningful items from our long marriage.

My wife is the world's foremost frugal spouse. Were it not for me she would still have .99 of each dollar she ever had control of. There is a major difference in gifts that have "meaning", and those that only have "cost". In the early years of our marriage, we had limited funds like everyone else, and we were content to be without all the frills. Later, as we grew together (does that sound corny?), then we were able to give to each other much nicer things, but only those that were of significant importance.

Now, we can go anywhere, and do anything we wish within reason, but still the thought of "throwing away" money for fast thoughts of gratification is unpleasant to us both.

In a marriage, the couple must be on the same page financially thinking, or you will be terribly at risk. My wife knows I would relocate the earth to give her all that I could, and all that she wanted. That knowledge alone is the gift, not some $2,000.00 shiny necklace.

SEinSF

Post by SEinSF »

It all depends on the type of woman in which you are interested. I've posted this link before to a similar topic but it is relevant in this case too ...
Women looking for a long-term mate (i.e., marriage material) are not impressed by the bling.
http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/h ... allet.html

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

I think it's a bit more complicated. As @SEinSF points out, bling and spending are not determinative, it's more finding the right person. As for real value in a long-term relationship/marriage, @HSpencer said it perfectly:

My wife knows I would relocate the earth to give her all that I could, and all that she wanted. That knowledge alone is the gift, not some $2,000.00 shiny necklace.

But spending is different than earning or some sign of ambition, monetary or otherwise, and sometimes a lack of spending is taken as a marker of lack of drive (or life). Why would someone be attracted to you if all you offered is doing and spending close to nothing? I think it's important to show that you are frugal for a reason, that you have ambitions beyond money, and that you're not just a dead horse, so to speak.

jeremymday

Post by jeremymday »

Have any of you heard of "The Five Love Languages?"
http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
One of the languages is specifically "gift giving". Perhaps its a little easier not to spend money when your significant other does not have that love language.
Cheers,

Jeremy

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Gifts don't have to be expensive. I have no research, but in my experience, it really is the thought that counts.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

And here I thought romance was about the interactions of people? Since when does consumerism stick its ugly nose into romance?
Breakfast in bed that one makes is usually appreciated more than the one that room service delivers.

S

Post by S »

I have a frugal spouse and his creative ability to have out of the box fun (usually without spending money or at least not much) was part of the attraction. Fly to the beach for a weekend in a pricey hotel or go on a camping trip by bicycle? Dinner and a movie or home-cooked picnic and kite flying? I guess it depends on what you're into, but you want to date/marry someone with similar interests anyway. Yes, there are frugal women out there, but you aren't going to meet them at the bar. Try free group activities like board game nights, bike rides, music groups, or dance circles.
Actually, the biggest romance challenge working toward ERE has caused us has been communal living. We've basically been living on other people's couches and guest rooms for the past year and even when we weren't we still had roommates, rented out spare rooms to travelers, or just lived in our truck. It's kind of hard to have a sex life when there are people around all the time.

djc

Post by djc »

HSpencer---I totally agree.
djc

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@George the original--breakfast in bed is lovely, but you'll need something else to get her into the bed before you can feed her breakfast ;)
I think dragoncar is right about the thought counting. At least thoughtfulness does. When I had a night class in college, I remember my husband (then boyfriend) meeting me after class to walk me back to my dorm. He wasn't looking for an invite up to my room, he just didn't like me walking around by myself late at night. I'm sure he gave me some nice gifts back then too, but 25 years later that's what I remember.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

This discussion is too racy. I've had to self-censor two potentially offensive comments already.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Chicken

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Penis

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

You young people better enjoy sex while you can. When you get my age you will have to limit it to about three times a day.

George the original one

@jennypenny - well, since it was known that I majored in English and had a tendency to analyze wordplay, my dates knew well in advance that I was a cunning linguist.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@George Original
Sounding from your last one like you grew up about the same time as I did.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

A dollar to a doughnut Jacob won't blog this thread.
"Blogged"---not

George the original one

@HSpencer - not quite, as you have clocked over a decade more years than I. However, you're younger than my brother and only a few years older than my sister, so my siblings must have had an influence.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@George--A lot of the posts on this board make me laugh. Yours is the first to make me blush.
Maybe I shouldn't have written off the English majors in college.