DIY Clipper Hair Cuts

What skills to learn, what tools to get
slsdly

Re: DIY Clipper Hair Cuts

Post by slsdly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:55 am

I go for a long comb over + fade hair style. I saw a guy on the street a few years back, and thought I could pull that off in the bathroom. Super easy, #2 clippers up the sides and back, and scissors to trim the long comb over to taste (I go mostly straight front to back, although it is angled). On the side where the comb over starts, I bring the clippers right up to its roots, so there is only a short line pointing that way. I also use a baseball cap to shape the trimming in the back / on my neck. Doesn't require much skill, but looks pretty decent and modern. The only time in my life I received compliments on my hair :lol:.

Something like https://www.menshairstylestoday.com/wp- ... or-Men.jpg although I prefer it to not be so long in the front.

bigato

Post by bigato » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 am

I tried #2 all around and then #1 on the sides and back, using a hand mirror and the feeling. Could not make it good enough. I then used #1 all around to fix it. I know that I could use some kind of guide or other trick, but I guess I just don't care enough and will settle for a simple #2 or #1 weekly.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:33 am

I use a rubber band to get the back neck line cut.

m741

Post by m741 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Inspired by this thread I finally bought a clipper set (Wahl Clipper Elite), $44. Did my first haircut today and was pretty happy with it. I can't believe how quickly you come out ahead with this. In most places I spend $20 on haircut+tip, in Seattle it seems like the going rate would probably be $28-30 with tip. So in 2 or 2.5 haircuts I'd make my money back. Plus frankly I waited too long between cuts before (6 weeks), whereas I'll use the trimmer every ~2 weeks, so I'll probably look better than before, on average. As an additional bonus the longer guide levels are perfect for growing and maintaining a longer beard - most beard trimmers were a little short for me. I basically did an intuitive haircut (cautiously) but did something similar to ChickenCoop. So - thanks everyone for starting the thread and all the suggestions.

pa_girl

Post by pa_girl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 am

I've also been cutting my own hair for years. I use cheap clippers that cost less than $20, and I think I've only had to replace them once in the past 13 years that I've been using them. Definitely saves a lot of money.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 am

I'd feel more comfortable doing this if my hairstyle could be achieved with a electric trimmer/clipper. Not quite as comfortable using scissors and safety razor on my own hair. Given that I get a haircut maybe once a year, usually starting at a little shorter than shoulder length and ending with it down past my collarbones, the savings would also take a little longer to recoup.