F Money, What are the 2nd & 3rd Order Larger Benefits of a Job

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
slowtraveler

F Money, What are the 2nd & 3rd Order Larger Benefits of a Job

Post by slowtraveler »

So I have a great job that provides next to no mental stimulation at this point. Great hours and takes care of my needs from anywhere in the world.

I'm debating on getting another job. Yeah, it'd pay well-something engineering, computer, or science related- but I want the mental stimulation, status, and friendship that comes from a shared battle. Definitely something part time, like 10-25 hours a week.

What are your thoughts on this? Getting a job for the non monetary benefits?

Mister Imperceptible

Re: F Money, What are the 2nd & 3rd Order Larger Benefits of a Job

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

War stories and advice from middle aged men. Jokes and inappropriate behavior.

Women in business attire. Both young women and middle aged.

Networking. At every job I have made several connections that have led to better opportunities elsewhere.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

You're probably looking at 1099 employment rather than W-2.

Anyway, to answer the topic question: The ability to travel and attend conventions. You get to be somewhere else, everything is paid for, free miles / hotel points / credit card rewards, you can spend the whole weekend there if you time it right, you may be able to pad the expense account. Out-of-the-office people are usually a social class or two above always-in-the-office people.

In my case, another benefit was meeting with some of the most famous people in my industry, in their offices overlooking Central Park or Boston Harbor or wherever and just shooting the shit about what they think markets are going to do.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

1099 is great, you can get a higher hourly rate because they don’t have to pay the associated costs for W2: insurance, 401k, vacation/holiday/sick pay, etc., which is fine because you can take the extra money and DIY. Plus it seems that so much less is expected of 1099s whereas management tends to slavedrive those under salary.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

I'll second the social and networking perks. In one assignment about two years ago, I earned so many hotel points I still have enough to cover a long weekend on the ocean next month.

I'll add skill acquisition. If you can manage leave your comfort zone and find work that only has a small amount of overlap with current skills, you get paid to learn on the job. This may require lower pay at first, but it's totally worth it and you can make up for it later once you have learned the biz.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I've read that people in the aggregate tend to need purpose, social interaction, and structure, in their lives to feel happy. And related to that, some retirees "fail" at retiring because once they are no longer working, they are lacking in one or more of those aspects. Of course it's possible to have all those things without a job, but a job can provide all of them, and it's not unheard of for retirees to return to work for those reasons rather than for financial reasons. What you are seeking are things it is perfectly reasonable to look for in a job, and that tick some of those boxes (shared battle+mental stimulation->purpose, friendship and status->social interaction). Getting a second job to fill those things is probably analogous to a retiree returning to work for the same non-monetary benefits. If you can afford the time and find a suitable position, no reason not to give it a try if you are inclined.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I currently have a part-time job for the non-monetary benefits (although the money and actual benefits don't hurt either).

I do appreciate the mental stimulation, the reward of doing something productive, and the social interaction. But I've also come to understand that a job is simply an easy way to get those things but not necessarily the best way. These days my own personal projects are often more stimulating and rewarding than my paid work, and simply being around other people does not automatically mean you're developing meaningful friendships. That takes effort and honestly might be more successful if you develop connections with people you have something in common with outside of work.

So I guess if I had some advice, it would be to enjoy work for what it provides as part of your larger web of goals but to not idolize it as an easy prepackaged solution to your problems. The best life is self-made. That said, don't be afraid to try a new job if you think it will be rewarding. FI is all about opportunity!

Jason

Post by Jason »

This is a joke, right?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Access to expensive tools (and toys) and infrastructure.

This was my reason for taking a job in finance for a while. Representatives from the IRP were rather adamant/confused why I couldn't just stay at home and trade stocks from my kitchen counter while talking to the e-Trade baby. Investing is investing, right? No, it ain't! That's the difference between a dragracer and sitting in your bathtub making engine sounds. There are many things that are unaffordable unless you're a mini-billionaire. You can't hire your own back-office team. You can't buy a 1MT ship, a helicopter, a twin-engine airplane, or a giant CNC machine. This would not even be possible for FatFIRE people because this is just a whole other level of fat. The only way to enjoy such "adventures" would be via a job.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

jacob wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 pm
Access to expensive tools (and toys) and infrastructure.
Yeah, that's a good one! One of the things I like about my current gig is access to a full workshop including fancy things like a 3D printer. That's a really nice perk that can't be replicated on a normal budget. Fast computers with expensive software also come in handy for the occasional personal project. And even smaller stuff like lunches and social outings on the company dime are also nice. Not every work activity is necessarily about work. ;)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I've had good luck massaging my job into the one I want. Maybe you could too? It's a lot easier to create an unusual arrangement with people that already like your work.

Your money or your life gives a good discussion of the non-financial motivations for work. There are many.