Best browser extension to automatically suggest better prices for products online?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
NPV

Best browser extension to automatically suggest better prices for products online?

Post by NPV »

There seems to be a lot of different browser extensions to help save when shopping online: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/shoppin ... -shopping/ I already use one to automatically find and apply coupons (Honey) which saves me a few bucks here and there - not sure if it is any better or worse than competitors but UI seems convenient.

Now I am looking for a browser extension which whenever I am shopping online would automatically pop up notifications if there is a lower price for the same product available elsewhere. My personal requirements are for it to have good product and shop coverage in Australia and work on Safari (ideally also Chrome but Safari is my primary browser), but for the sake of others on the forum probably worse sharing whatever worked well for you outside these narrow criteria.

Closest thing I have come across so far is this one: http://au.shoptimate.com/extension/ But the site looks a bit dodgy and there is not a lot of reviews online. It also seems to cover the usual suspects (as in most large national online stores) which is of course already helpful but I was curious if there was a more generalized solution indexing a broad array of smaller online stores as well. That last one is optional though, overall just looking for the most effective solution.

Any suggestions?

arcyallen

Re: Best browser extension to automatically suggest better prices for products online?

Post by arcyallen »

I too have found some to be dodgy and none worked good enough to keep. I don't have an exact recommendation for what you're looking for, but I do use Keepa for Amazon. It's a price tracker, and it does two things I love: It generates a chart (automatically on the product page if you have the plugin) that shows historical prices, and it can email you when it reaches a certain price. Some items go up and down a LOT, for no apparent reason. No sense in buying a case of rice and beans for $22 when it's $9 every few months...

Stahlmann

Re: Best browser extension to automatically suggest better prices for products online?

Post by Stahlmann »

magic method of paper and pencil?

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Honey works well at doing the price comparison between different Amazon sellers, but just like all of the coupon websites I've had very little luck with it on websites other than Amazon.com with actual coupon codes required.

haven't tested any other coupon browser extension.

I do like camelcamelcamel.com for keeping track of Amazon prices/drops. That's worked very well for me.