Hi there

Say hello!!
ThirdChapter

Hi there

Post by ThirdChapter »

Hello,

I'm in my mid forties and I'm fortunate enough to be able to retire. I wouldn't call myself an extreme early retiree, still I've worked 20+ years, but it's significantly earlier than others.

Although I'm able to retire, I still do work, to keep busy, to keep a circle going, but with the luxury of being able to say "go stuff it" if I don't like it.

I got to be financially independent by being reasonable with my spending and also being fortunate I had a job that paid well for a significant number of years.

I like to put things in numbers, tracking my expenses, income very regularly, I'll put my system online some day, I'm working on it. And keeping on track to be able to retire.

Overall I think a lot of people underestimate what it takes to be financially independent, I've made a small calculator which give a predicted retirement year based on assets, liabilities and expected lifestyle, a lot of people will be underwhelmed by their retirement age. If anyone is interested you can find it here : http://lifeschapter3.com/retirement.html

Regards

PA Hiker

Re: Hi there

Post by PA Hiker »

Neat calculator. I tired it with a few different scenarios, including my own. It nicely illustrates the impact of a low spending/high savings rate. I'm curious about what mathematical assumptions you're making (e.g. SWR etc).

ThirdChapter

Post by ThirdChapter »

@PA Hiker, thanks you like it. The SWR is actually the monthly spending. I figured people have different lifestyles, some can go be happy with next to nothing, others, even if they think they are frugal they still spend quite a bit. So instead of putting a percentage or a fixed value, I let it be dependent on the individual.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Hi ThirdChapter. Congrats to FI and "being able to retire" !
How did you find ERE?

ThirdChapter

Post by ThirdChapter »

Hi Wolf, found it on google, guess that's where everyone finds everything these days, lol. I wasn't looking for the "extreme" side of things, I wouldn't classify myself under this, but was just trying to see what sort of budgets people were living off, or thinking they could live off.