Which cutting board do you use?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Swerty

Which cutting board do you use?

Post by Swerty »

Looking for something that will last of course :)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Which cutting board do you use?

Post by jacob »

None. I use a dinner plate. I only let the tip of the knife touch when I cut, so the tip of the knife is dull, but the rest of the edge is fine.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I use some inexpensive bamboo cutting boards (pack of 3 which ranged from large (approximately 14 x 10) to small (8 x 6). Using a plate is okay but it dulls knives as Jacob mentions. And it's hard carving a turkey on a plate or any other large food item on a plate. I cook a lot and I couldn't do without a cutting board. At the very least get a cutting mat. Your knives and fingers will appreciate it.

$12.99 Bamboo Cutting Board Set

$13.99 Cutting Mat Set

subgard

Post by subgard »

A plastic one from walmart. Works fine, lasts forever (depending on your cutting technique).

Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cutti ... WCEE3Y5BW9

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I used to have a plastic cutting board but I didn't like it. Wood boards stay grippy when wet but the plastic ones do not. And you can use a wooden cutting board as an impromptu hot plate.

Laura Ingalls

Re: Which cutting board do you use?.

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I am fond of my epicaurian branded cutting boards. Wooden yet NFS rated, durable, not too heavy, and can go in the dishwasher.

@Jacob
That would cause me sensory distress. My MIL had glass cutting boards they are an awful invention :evil:

chenda

Post by chenda »

A small plastic one, easier to clean than a wooden one and last forever.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

We used to use cheap plastic ones, but the idea of eating microscopic pieces of plastic with every meal finally got us to switch to wooden ones. They usually last several years and only cost a few £ a piece, so cost is a non-issue.

Optimal_Solution

Post by Optimal_Solution »

We have a bamboo cutting board and 4 silicone cutting mats. Both have lasted 5+ years with a lot of use. I find myself usually using the silicone mats because they are easier to clean and dry (less porous), take up less space, and I can quickly switch out mats when switching between ingredients. I wouldn't miss the bamboo cutting board. I would pay retail to replace my mats (they aren't that expensive).

My mats are stiff (but flexible) and somewhat textured. I've never had a problem with slipping.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

The one advantage the wooden boards have over mats is the drip recess which is only needed if you're carving a large piece of meat like a turkey which releases juices when cutting. Otherwise mats can do anything a wooden cutting board can. And you could probably improvise by putting the cutting mat on a shallow cooking tray to contain any drippings.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

@Dream of Freedom.

That video is hilarious. I'd love to see him chop up a turkey with the "carotid-chop" method. :lol:

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Campitor wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 pm
The one advantage the wooden boards have over mats is the drip recess which is only needed if you're carving a large piece of meat like a turkey which releases juices when cutting.
Melons & tomatoes also release juices, so I find the drip catch relevant beyond large pieces of meat.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

chenda wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:27 pm
A small plastic one, easier to clean than a wooden one and last forever.
Plastic user here, even though it's entirely against my aesthetics. Why not wooden? Because humid coastal environment of Oregon is ripe with fungi and fungi are most fond of cellulose.