Stahlmann travels through Europe with your kind help

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Stahlmann

Stahlmann travels through Europe with your kind help

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jean

Re: Stahlmann travels through Europe with your kind help

Post by Jean »

Hi,
You haven't listed switzerland, but easyjet flights beetween poland and switzerland. I'de be glad to show you around if you come during the next two weeks.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Jean wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:30 am
Hi,
You haven't listed switzerland, but easyjet flights beetween poland and switzerland. I'de be glad to show you around if you come during the next two weeks.
Thanks for the first offer :) I'll probably won't decide for any trip in so short time frame (guess where we're :lol:). Ok, for details I'll contact you via PM.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

If you're doing multiple countries, maybe https://www.interrail.eu/ is more price friendly? In particular, you can jump on almost any train w/o reservation and some "interrailers" take advantage of that by sleeping on the train(*) which is a good backup plan to have.

(*) This information is ~15+ years old so might not be the case anymore.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I slept on overnight trains in Europe less than a decade ago, I can't see that concept going out of style.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

@jacob: Interrail is not affordable in comparison to buses, which if international is two stories, has a lot of seating. I just recently took a bus from Riga to Warsaw for 20-ish EUR, which does not even have a train line. In comparison a flight from Riga to Warsaw would be like 40 to 100 EUR easily.

@Stahlman:
Currently living in the Baltic so cannot give you a place to stay.

That being said, I have lived in the Nordic countries for a year so I know a couple places
Turku:
It is a college town, pretty boring city center, if you have a car you are better off and can see more things.

Stockholm:
Across the Gulf of Bothina from Turku/Abo, it is a nice city, can be cheap if you try to eat cheaply and just walking around the city is quite beautiful especially the island in the middle.

Other cities I am not sure but...
London is stupid expensive. My friend who recently went through the city had to pay 40 Pounds for a bus from one side of the city to the other side so take that into account. Probably lots of places to see there if you like museums.

Milan:
Cheapest of all the options probably and more than likely more fun as Italians are more extroverted than Nordics.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Interrail is great, but not exactly cheap. You need to travel a lot for it to be worth it. You usually hae to pay a supplement for night train. What I like to do is take a regional train in the evening, to get to a train station close to a forest, and sleep there.
Now you can buy a 3 month pass for 900euros. This is quite cheap, especially if you spend time mostly in the germanic world(germany, austria, switzerland, benelux, scandinaia), where trains are expensive and effective.
If you only go to germany, bus are cheaper for long distance, but trains are much more flexible.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

My family owns a Hotel in Austria . ( not Vienna, but one of the other big cities)
But if you're planing to spend that little, there is not much for you to do , as musueums and other activities usually cost 10 Euros.

Jean

Post by Jean »

You can definitely come to my HQ. It's small, but its in a very nice mountain area, and in walking distance of two nice middle importance cities. Let's say like Gdynia and Katowice.
Last edited by Jean on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Stahlmann wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:15 am
Speaking of "irreconcilable differences"... in real life I don't quote some beardy man from XIX century every second sentence. I also don't cite excerpts from "Second Sexism" written by some edgy prof from South Africa (who's also interested in corporal punishment of kids :lol: ). But... these issues are somehow in my range of interests.
lol