Hi from New Zealand

Say hello!!
technohead

Hi from New Zealand

Post by technohead »

Hi from New Zealand.

I found this site through Charles Hugh Smith's oftwominds.com. I am aiming to become financially independent. Been trying all sorts of things in the digital media field the last few years to get there. I need more motivation and focus on achieving FI. Maybe I will start a journal on this forum, my life situation is a bit unconventional so will be interesting to see how I can apply knowledge gained here to achieving FI.

Thanks for reading :)

Mister Imperceptible

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Welcome to Dr. Fisker’s strange and delightful corner of the Internet.

You’ve started interestingly here, I recommend starting a journal.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome technohead.

I recently read an article on the web about FIRE in New Zealand. Have you heard about FIRE in the media before you discovered ERE at oftwominds.com? How is FIRE discussed in the media on the web down in New Zealand?

Jean

Post by Jean »

Welcome! Funny, yesterday, while being angry against the commune annoying me because I didn't hire an architect, the canton putting 500 nonallowed immigrant 1km away from my home (basicaly, they have to leave, but their home country wont take them back, so they put them here and wait for them to run away), and the confederation for having let itself being runed by banks and insurance, I tought about selling my house, and buying a property in NZ. Do you know how hard it is for a foreigner?

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

FIRE is regularly in the media in NZ maybe about once a week.

Jean - the government recently passed a law which bans any foreigners buying property. Only NZ or Australian residents and there may be some exceptions for Singapore I think. SO you need to meet immigration standards here, which are difficult to achieve now as the new governments mandate is to substantially reduce it. Also housing in NZ is very expensive and of a lesser quality than other developed countries. There are a lot of problems with housing here. Alot of the older stock is uninsulated with single pane windows and very cold and damp. Newer housing is often leaky and cramped, and you can tell the finishings are cheap. So housing is difficult to afford. Everything else is expensive here too: food, gas, transport, drinks, consumer goods. Pay is also not high here. So its not a good option. Better to stay in Switzerland where you will be paid twice as much.

The lastest housing affordability ranks NZ the worsrt out of the countries covered. I remember another different one was done about a year ago which was more comprehensive in that it covered all developed countries and NZ was the least affordable out of all of them. https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/0 ... ty-survey/

Jean

Post by Jean »

Thanks for the info.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Hi, Jean!