Eric B's Introduction

Say hello!!
Eric B

Eric B's Introduction

Post by Eric B »

Hello fine folks!

My name is Eric, and I'm violinist living in Chicago. I just moved here in October; before that I was living in Minneapolis and St Paul for about a decade. My gf and I rode our bikes from the Cities to Chicago, thinking it would be fun and inexpensive... then we underestimated how difficult it would be to find places to stay, and it ended up being fun (and painful, yes) but not so cheap. Next time I think we'll lug a tent with us.

I found the FIRE community through the Bigger Pockets Money show, which led me to the MMM blog. I'd love to reach financial independence by the age of 40 (I'm turning 33 in a week), but I'll have to figure out how to rebuild my violin career after the move.

Are there any Chicago meetups around here? I'd love to meet some like-minded folks.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Eric B's Introduction

Post by jacob »

Welcome to Chi-town!

I do hold meetups at ERE HQ once in a while. I seem to get on a spur and hold a bunch of them. Then I get [socially] exhausted and nothing happens for a while. Then I figure it's time to get things going again and the cycle repeats. Of course anyone is free to arrange a meetup anytime. I'd likely show up if that happens.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

A bit late, but did you try couchsurfing (the website)? I've had a lot of luck with it in the past, particularly in Chicago... it's tough in small towns though. Also, what style of music do you play?

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

My gf and I rode our bikes from the Cities to Chicago, thinking it would be fun and inexpensive... then we underestimated how difficult it would be to find places to stay, and it ended up being fun (and painful, yes) but not so cheap. Next time I think we'll lug a tent with us.
Did you try https://www.warmshowers.org/? It is a site for touring riders to find free places to stay.

Eric B

Post by Eric B »

Jin+Guice wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:59 pm
A bit late, but did you try couchsurfing (the website)? I've had a lot of luck with it in the past, particularly in Chicago... it's tough in small towns though. Also, what style of music do you play?
We did try CS, but no luck. It's really slim pickings in all those small towns and rural areas. We also didn't expect that cell phone coverage would be an issue along the trip. We were able to stay with friends in La Crosse, and family in Milwaukee. Other than that we had to pony up for hotels.

I play classical music, mostly with symphonies. In the past, I've dabbled in some other styles to make ends meet. But classical music is where my heart is.
Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 am
Did you try https://www.warmshowers.org/? It is a site for touring riders to find free places to stay.
I'll have to give it a shot next time. I had heard of it, but I was already on CouchSurfing and thought it'd be fine. Are you a cyclist too?
jacob wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:13 pm
Of course anyone is free to arrange a meetup anytime. I'd likely show up if that happens.
We'd love to host, but we wouldn't know where to do it. We live in a studio apartment in Hyde Park, and we're a bit short on places to sit or eat. We've got some good board games though, if that sounds like fun to anyone.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Yes, I am a cyclist, though more of a commuter than a tourer.

Eric B

Post by Eric B »

Me, too. The only training I did for the ride was biking to and from the music store where I taught. 40 miles round trip, and I could bump it up to 60 by taking the scenic route. I have no idea how I'll get in shape for the next trip, since I have nothing to commute to here, and I don't want to find a job 20 miles away. Biking for its own sake is rare for me.