Tulsi 2020: Anti-war Democrat says she’s running for US president

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.

Mister Imperceptible

Re: Tulsi 2020: Anti-war Democrat says she’s running for US president

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Let’s face it, it’s going to be a sh*tshow.

Facebook deactivated.

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

Not reading anything on Russia Today

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Why do we have to be the brainless muscle for S.A.'s proxie war with Iran? I thing both countries suck shit but if I had to pick an ally it would be Iran based on how they marginally treat women better. Yeah marginally.

fell-like-rain

Post by fell-like-rain »

That's great news! I didn't realize there were any anti-war Democrats left. All the lefties I know have been shitting on Trump for not visiting the troops or for withdrawing from Syria, and I'm just here wondering when everyone in America became a neocon hawk when it comes to foreign policy. Nobody seems to care anymore about wasting lives and money on pointless wars, or extrajudicial killings, or blowing up American citizens...

Of course, it looks like about 2 seconds after she announced, people found all kinds of statements she's made about "homosexual extremists", so I'm not exactly on the Tulsi train yet.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

thegreatvoid wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:03 am
Not reading anything on Russia Today
Why?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

fell-like-rain wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am
That's great news! I didn't realize there were any anti-war Democrats left. All the lefties I know have been shitting on Trump for not visiting the troops or for withdrawing from Syria, and I'm just here wondering when everyone in America became a neocon hawk when it comes to foreign policy. Nobody seems to care anymore about wasting lives and money on pointless wars, or extrajudicial killings, or blowing up American citizens...

Of course, it looks like about 2 seconds after she announced, people found all kinds of statements she's made about "homosexual extremists", so I'm not exactly on the Tulsi train yet.
Sure looks like it's tough to be a Democrat these days.

fell-like-rain

Post by fell-like-rain »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:58 am
Sure looks like it's tough to be a Democrat these days.
Yeah, in the sense that people are going to drag up all the stuff you've ever said to use against you. I mean, over the past 20 years we've gone from 25 or 30% support for gay marriage to ~65%, so obviously people's beliefs can change radically over time, but in this case I'd want to do more research to see if her actions/votes demonstrate a real change of heart.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Why?
It delivers news but also subtle Russian propaganda would be my guess.

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

@Clarice for the same reason I don't watch or listen to aljazeera. State funded media, with the sole purpose to spread Propaganda and biased news in the West.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

It's going to be a crowded field on the blue side. It'll be fun to see what they try to do to distinguish themselves from each other.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

If they run anyone from the Democratic Establishment they're probably going to fail against Trump.

I'd say Tulsi has a chance if she can get enough publicity/name recognition. Bernie Sanders has a chance, but he is going to be almost 80 by then. After the DNA test business I don't think Elizabeth Warren can win against Trump. Whoever the Greens and Libertarians put forward isn't going to win. At this point putting forth Hillary for a third time would just be asking to lose.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

They are already starting to force Bernie out (allegations against his 2016 campaign). And based on how they treated him during 2016, seems unlikely any outsider has a chance. My guess it will be whomever in the establishment is willing to lean the furthest left. The new Cali Gov and the mayor of NYC seem to be posturing. Otherwise, it's a bunch of legislators with identical voting records over the last 16 years. Trump actually stands in the old center left--old as in what moderate northern democrats stood for in the days of my youth (protectionist, pro-blue collar, anti illegal immigration, etc.) so they can't really come back to being Kennedy democrats or even Bill Clinton democrats. Dunno much about Tulsi except she'll likely be one face among many basically running the same campaign, much like most of the red clad candidates in 2016. Who among them has a larger-than-life presence/personality might be the key rather than who out-lefts the field.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I suspect you're right as far as how the primary is going to go in the Democratic party as they don't seem to have learned anything from the last election and if it does go this way they are probably going to lose again.

Mister Imperceptible

prognastat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm
Whoever the Greens and Libertarians put forward isn't going to win
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2KVORRKsxE

I have never even registered to vote but am considering a vote for the Libertarians.

Regardless of who I might vote for and who wins the election, I am sure everything will continue to get worse.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 pm
Regardless of who I might vote for and who wins the election, I am sure everything will continue to get worse.
that's the spirit :D

Mister Imperceptible

Hehe. Ever after the triumph of Thanatos are we?

The spirit of Eros remains unbroken and lies in wait.

Hide in my bunker and wait for everything to break.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraCchPDhk

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

at least brute has something to show for his efforts

Mister Imperceptible

brute cannot break that which was already broken

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

fell-like-rain wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am
All the lefties I know have been shitting on Trump for not visiting the troops or for withdrawing from Syria, and I'm just here wondering when everyone in America became a neocon hawk when it comes to foreign policy. Nobody seems to care anymore about wasting lives and money on pointless wars, or extrajudicial killings, or blowing up American citizens...
In Tucker Carlson's book Ship Of Fools, pp 88-107, he illustrates how liberals used to be anti-war as a matter of course. He thinks that Bill Clinton watched as Democrats kept losing because voters thought they were weak (". . . from 1968 through 1988, Democrats decisively lost five presidential elections and narrowly won another.") . So after he was elected, he increased the military presence of the deployment he inherited, Somalia, and also ordered US troops into Haiti, started the air campaign in the Balkans (and later ordered thousands of troops there), dropped cruise missiles on Sudan and Afghanistan, and of started regularly bombing Iraq. "Since Clinton took the party back in a hawkish direction, the Democrats have lost the popular vote only once, in 2004."

"When then-senator Barack Obama ran for president in 2008, he positioned himself as the antiwar candidate. He attacked his top opponent, Hillary Clinton, for supporting the 2002 war resolution and pledged to get US troops out of Iraq. But after he was elected, he supported the overthrow of Gaddafi in Libya, ordered drone strikes on thousands of people, "most of them in 'non-battlefield' areas like Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan. Some of the people killed were American citizens, struck down as 'enemy-combatants' despite being far away from US troops, in countries the US was not at war with. . . . By the end of the Obama years, America was not only bombing Syria, but had ground troops there, this time for the purposes of fighting the Islamic State."

"In 2008, three antiwar documentaries were nominated for Best Documentary at the Academy Awards, and Hollywood stars routinely bashed President Bush's foreign policy. . . . In 2016 there wasn't a single antiwar song in the top 100 pop hits."

"In one of those weird historical ironies that almost nobody seemed to appreciate at the time, the Republican in the race was running well to the left of his Democratic opponent on key foreign policy questions. Donald Trump gave speech after speech attacking the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the idea of nation building more broadly. Hillary Clinton was still defending the decision to kill Gaddafi."

Max Boot and Bill Kristol are also sampled as war hawks that influence politicians.

So that's his take.