suomalainen

Re: Five Years, Lord Willing

Post by suomalainen »

HEAR, HEAR!!

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

Amen to that Brother.

5 days into the new year, that was going to be the best ever, I'm trapped in this snow Storm and coming up with reasons in my head not to pull an Avicii ....

Jason

Post by Jason »

My OP on this development was removed by those able to do such things. It was justifiable on their part, although like all rulings, there is a degree of subjectivity. I thought it had a shot to remain. In any event, the evidence was pretty fresh at that point and I guess my variation on my typical themes was a bit excessive.

It's kind of like rooting for a sports franchise that never wins. Which is worse - knowing you suck at the beginning of the year and its just going to be the annual, typical sufferings through endless defeats, or, showing some early promise, having enough luck that you think maybe this year will be different, only to have your heart ripped out through your chest in a crushing defeat at the very end. For me, 2019 was like having the entire team die in a bus crash on its way to its first scrimmage.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Hey, congrats on your achievements. Keep it up, you have done a great progress in such a short period of time.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Thank you. Due to market uncertainty, continued progress will most likely be more dependent on income and decrease in spending.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I don't know who reads my journal, but if you are, I highly recommend this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7681902/

Mr. Rogers was in the public spotlight for fifty years. I watched him as a kid and was always hounding my mother for a traffic light. I didn't get one, but she bought me sweater that I could put on when I watched him. Yet during those fifty years, not one stripper (male or female) coming out and saying he asked them to fist him with a hand puppet, not one rumor of losing his temper and telling some snot nose kid to go fuck himself, not one employee saying they used to go out drinking and come back to the studio and piss up and down Sesame Street.

This guy was a model of consistency. To the point that he claims to have weighed 143 pounds every day for his entire life. And I believe him, because Mr. Rogers cannot lie.

Jason

Post by Jason »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/we ... 6e16738667

I didn't know where to put to this because it's so all-encompassing in its fuckedupedness, so I said I'll just put it here. I always have a hard time with these things because I was there, but damn. When you read a story like this and they pose the question "Who does he blame" and that the assumption "himself" is not an option, it makes me wonder where questions of personal responsibility and journalistic integrity intersect. I mean this is Dave Ramsey money makeover shit not a shutdown sob story.

Back to my hill of beans, the non-streaming TV life is blissful. We already have a backlog of DVD's and there's no pesky monthly AMEX charges. I could never see us returning. It mainly static that is removed that allows one to focus better on what happens between now and death.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

ffj wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 am
Be prepared for many more stories like this being trotted out with babies and infirmities front and center. All of the "journalists" have and will ask the people who they blame for their situation. That is the reason for the articles, not because of concern for anyone. I do feel somewhat bad for the guy, but holy shit, the family has had decades to plan for all contingencies. Time for some behavior modification.
+1

Jason

Post by Jason »

The government employee in the story joined the Forest Service in 2007. That means he suffered through the 2013 shutdown (16 days). Could the journalist at least asked him how that went and why that did not inform him to prepare for future shutdowns? Shut me down once, your fault, shut me down twice, my fault...

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

When you read a story like this and they pose the question "Who does he blame" and that the assumption "himself" is not an option, it makes me wonder where questions of personal responsibility and journalistic integrity intersect. I mean this is Dave Ramsey money makeover shit not a shutdown sob story.
I'm so glad you posted this. I was so ANNOYED by this story. You have a handicapped daughter, yes, but you make almost 3x the mean household income in the US... you've been thru at least one shut down, you gotta know it's gonna happen again..... I have a lot more sympathy for the average TSA worker who still has to go to work, still has to pay for child care and not getting a paycheck.... and doesn't make that much money in the first place.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I think the handicapped daughter should share partial blame. She has a philosophy degree and sits inside all day. You'd think it cross her mind at least once.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Don't feel too bad, I wouldn't mind a housing crash in my area in the next 1-2 years and being able to swoop in and buy a house at a more affordable amount, however I don't think it's likely to happen.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I was in my local branch the other day and they were pushing hard on the refi. They wave your own cash in front of you. Barely ten years out and people falling all over this again.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Eh, the area I would want to buy is booming due to many multi-national tech companies being in the area. So probably will be expensive no matter what.

Jason

Post by Jason »

"Almost 2/3 of government workers likely have two weeks of expenses set aside to live." In other words, one missed paycheck is disaster.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/opin ... e=Homepage

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I was not sympathetic to that guy making $135k a year who is basically on an unpaid vacation. But I have a lot of sympathy for families who are having to go to work and incurring all those expenses associated with work (childcare, commuting, maybe dry cleaning, parking...) AND aren’t getting a check. AND don’t make all that much to begin with. I can’t imagine being a $20/hour TSA worker having to deal with that for very long. Sure, people should try to put some money aside, and we know that for many it’s more that they don’t rather than that they can’t.... but in a high COL area like DC.... it would be super hard.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

First ever unanimously elected Hall of Famer in MLB history. Cannot say I am surprised. A consummate artist. Breaking bats inside and freezing people on the outside. Paint.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPtDJuJMyhc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yD4mR-lcKwA

If you look closely, you can see Mister Imperceptible in the right field seats when Rivera walks off the mound for the last time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vG_Gtp5DUls

I was surprised Mussina got in. He was always kind of snakebit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkw3B8ORoUA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fx87p8Rkboc

“Stay there!” lol

latearlyFI

Post by latearlyFI »

following

Jason

Post by Jason »

Off the top of my head, these guys should have been unanimous:

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Ty Cobb
Roger Hornsby
Cy Young
Christy Mathewson
Grover Cleveland Alexander
Warren Spahn
Stan Musial
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Ted Williams
Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Sandy Koufax
Honus Wagner
Jackie Robinson
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Tom Seaver
Lefty Grove
Walter Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson

So that's at least 23. I am assuming I have forgot some. Some people may say Ty Cobb jumped into the stands and beat the shit out of fans but I find that to be an endearing quality. Some might say Babe Ruth banged everything not nailed to the floor. Once again, endearing. The question is does Mariano belong with those names and the answer is a resounding yes. He materially impacted his team's ability to win championships probably more than any player in history. The next question is whether Derek Jeter should be unanimous. I am not sure but if there was a Hall of Fame for baseball penises, his should have its own wing.

With regard to Mussina, I think the most important stat is that he had 100 more career victories than defeats, something only 27 pitchers in history have accomplished. Although someone like Nolan Ryan had 50 more victories, he only won 32 more games than he lost. The negative to Mussina is that you can call the period between NY Yankee Championships -2001-2008 the Mike Mussina years as it directly corresponds to his tenure. I think Mussina had a better career, but Schilling was a better pitcher especially in big games. I think Mike Mussina had a Hall of Fame Career. I am not sure if he had Hall of Fame talent.

latearlyFI

Post by latearlyFI »

jennypenny wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 pm
Haha, I don't have much sympathy for guys who insist on having their own grandchildren.
oh bruhahahhahha!! hilarious!