Moving to Spain dilemma

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
FRx

Moving to Spain dilemma

Post by FRx »

I did a trial run for 3 months in Spain in 2017 and loved living in Barcelona. I then applied and obtained for my non-lucrative visa.

All was well until I had to deal with a medical board investigation back in the US and had to cut my trip short. That second time, in 2018, I was in Seville for 3 months and I'm hoping that by March my medical license drama will be situated.

I'm now jonesing to go back but disheartened about the last trip. I'm a US citizen though I immigrated here from Iran at a young age. I love the US - Portland Oregon specifically - but also really enjoyed Spain even though I don't speak Spanish.

I own a small condo here and have no family, no pets, no dependents, no significant other. Got all my great friends but I can stay in touch with them online or see them if they come to Europe. What I'm really trying to figure out is if I should just stay put here in the US or go back to Spain and work on my residency and settle down there. I know it's a personal decision but I'm having a heck of a time thinking it through... maybe because of all the med board drama. I'd appreciate any input or questions.

A slight complication is that I got my visa 7/2018 and need to spend at least 6 months in Spain before I can renew it. So I need another 3 months in Spain before the end of 2019 or else I have to reapply for the non-lucrative visa.

Dream of Freedom

Re: Moving to Spain dilemma

Post by Dream of Freedom »

There are many reasons to want to move to another country. What about it really appeals to you? What would be different? Would your goals change? How would your lifestyle change?

FRx

Post by FRx »

Even though Portland is fairly mellow, Spain has an even slower pace and everything is cheaper. People are rather friendly and there is no need for a car. Housing is cheap and health insurance is even cheaper. I can get on a train and travel if I get the itch. The quality of the groceries is so much better too.

I don't think my goals would change. I retired in 2016 and it's been enjoyable. I don't live off of my investments yet, I still earn some money doing random stuff online.

The times I've been there, I feel like life was more relaxed, time flew by pleasantly, and I still enjoyed rock climbing, walking, and eating well.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Hatred in Europe agains arabs (in fact magheban and alikes, aswell as jew) (I know Iranian aren't arabs, but not everyone does) is growing fast and might burst very violently in a mid-near future. If you could pass as a spanyard (from the look), you might be safe, but if you get misidentified as an morocan or arab, It might be unsafe to move to europe now.
I'm talking about moving your life there (buying house, starting familiy, etc...). If you only plan to live there for a few year, go ahead, and enjoy travelling in Europe while it's still possible, you'll feel it when it won't be safe anymore.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Jean I'm guessing he's going to be viewed as an American. We all know the trick: talk really loud in English and don't rape unveiled women.

Jean

Post by Jean »

That's what I hope for him. Call me an alarmist, but I see some ethnic cleansing coming. I don't wish anyone to be caught in the middle of it. If I were not white, I would not plan on settling in Europe.

FRx

Post by FRx »

No plans on raping anyone and I could pass for Spanish. Ethnic cleansing aside - which I'm not dismissing, certainly possible - it feels like a rather safe place. I appreciate the words of caution though and honestly didn't even have that on my mind as a possibility.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I hope it's clear that I never implied that you could be capable of raping someone. The point of an ethnic cleansing is that it's about a (percieved) ethnicity, not your personallity.

But let's go back to closer terms (I think it will take several years until it get to that point).

Have you visited other parts of spain than sevilla or barcelona? To me barcelona was the least enjoyable part of spain I visited. For city, I liked Madrid and Sevilla much more. Not too far from barcelona, the pyreneans are great, but I found them nicer on the basque end. I liked beaches on the basque coast or the canary (which despite being a very touristy destination still contain a lot of quite wild places) much more than those around barcelona. And the people themselves were very nice all around the country.

I would really give the canary a try for your next stay. They are still as cheap as anywhere in spain (at least food, no idea about housing, I was wild camping most of the time, a double room in a small hotel was 20euros so it might be possible to rent a cheap appartment). The weather is quite constant year round. great outdoor (surf, wind surf, mountain bike), lot of hippy types, and cheap flight to all europe, many sailor stop there, so a lot of opportunity to cross to america on a sail boat. If I wasn't made instantly happy by a cold foggy forest, I would move there.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

1. If you stoped working, why bother with your medical licence?
2. If you enjoy Spain, why don't you just sublet your condo and go there for another 3-month stay like very soon? No need to make any final decisions right away.
3. Are you learning Spanish? If not, I suggest you start now. Even if your stay in Spain might be temporary, it will be a very different experience if you know (at least some of) the local language.

Anyway, your plans of relocating have my full support. It is inspiring when people dare to move away from their comfort zone and try out themselves in new surroundings. Also, can't you just move back to they US the day you have had enough of Europe?

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Where to rock climb regularly in Spain? My girlfriend and I are considering it as one of our retirement destinations as well.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Jean wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 pm
If I wasn't made instantly happy by a cold foggy forest, I would move there.
Where do you reside now?

Jean

Post by Jean »

@Viktor
I have friend who go to andalousia to climb in the winter. But it's too hot in the summer. A lot of areas in spain have renowmed climbing spots.

@2b1s
Bernese Jura

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Personally not a fan of Barcelona at all, Sevilla is amazing though.
Quality of life in Spain is excellent on average, look into Galicia if you want to feel a bit of PacNW vibe.

Zero risk in Spain for anybody who behaves, regardless of how he/she looks or speaks.

I'm sorry to contradict Jean, but Europe is a mix of very different countries, and Spain (especially the south) is very open towards northern Africans for obvious historical reasons.
Very different situation in France and Switzerland though

Jean

Post by Jean »

Don't be sorry to contradict me. I agree that now the risk is very low. I only wanted to make him aware about this possibility now, so he can make his own opinion.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

You will want to learn Catalan first, not Spanish if you settle in Barcelona. Personally I would not consider the region because of the hostilities towards the rest of Spain that according to friends who visit regularly has only been increasing over the last couple decades there. Recent events around the independence movement attest to that. Other cities in Spain look a much better bet to me.

FRx

Post by FRx »

I wouldn't go back to Barcelona most likely. The northern coast is more my flavor but quite a bit more expensive. Valencia is cheaper and that wouldn't be bad idea.

The only reason I would want to keep the medical license alive is that it's a nice backup for me. I do some consulting on the side and it's a nice income - having an active medical license is helpful for that.