How to Add Pictures to the Forum

Questions and comments
Smashter

How to Add Pictures to the Forum

Post by Smashter »

TopHatFox wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:39 am
How do I add pictures to this forum?
This used to vex me as well, so here's a tutorial that hopefully helps. I think Imgur makes things super easy.

Go to Imgur. Click "new post" in the upper left.

Drag in or upload your image. I used the ERE homepage in this example. Once it uploads, click the arrow in the upper right and then click "get share links"

Then copy the code listed under BBCode (Forums) and paste it into a post.

That's it. One thing to keep in mind is that the forum only allows images with a width of up to 800 pixels. You can adjust the size in Imgur by hitting "edit" or you can do so with your computers editing program. If you are using Preview on a mac, you just open the image then hit "tools" and "adjust size".

A final note -- you do not need to make an account with Imgur to upload pictures.
Last edited by Smashter on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Adding Pictures to Forum

Post by jacob »

The 800px width is something I set. It can be increased if there are good arguments for it. I can think of a few bad ones which is why it's currently limited the way it is.

prognastat

Re: How to Add Pictures to the Forum

Post by prognastat »

How wide is the body of a post? I probably wouldn't make it any wider than that.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

prognastat wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:13 pm
How wide is the body of a post? I probably wouldn't make it any wider than that.
Try inspecting source code and looking for width of div/table called probably post... chrome (or any today browser) has fancy tool to highlight each component of web page and showing corresponding "code".

Helping with DIY style since 2010!
Jk, I'm writing from mobile, helping is too difficult here.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Stahlmann, why are you trying to make me do work?

Also in Chrome you can just right click on it and choose inspect. 858 pixels it looks like.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

You'd have to read their terms to find out exactly what your rights are, but I would start with the assumption that you're giving up all rights as you do with most ToS.

niemand

Post by niemand »

It might sense to go with a hosting service that allows you to remove your images if you feel like it. Not sure if the Imgur process described by Smashter allows you to do this. On the other hand, Flickr (and probably some other sign-up services, too) allow you to stay in control.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Imgur stores your photo and you get the option of sharing it to their gallery. You can get the link to delete a post in the options menu below get BBCode , get HTML embed code, as shown above.

niemand

Post by niemand »

@fiby: What you describe won’t work if you don’t make an account with Imgur, right?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

niemand wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:37 am
@fiby: What you describe won’t work if you don’t make an account with Imgur, right?
That is correct.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Update: imgur no longer supports accounts but we can still upload though. Earlier images that were uploaded to pur accounts are still there.