What I Spend

Where are you and where are you going?
jennypenny

Re: What I Spend

Post by jennypenny »

If your resting heart rate on the fitbit is 60, you're good. In my experience, the fitbit rate is pretty close to the rate on my monitor when resting (although really off when exercising).

I've been surprised at how the timing of my meals affects my heart rate almost as much as the content of them. Overall, I've found heart rate monitoring to be surprisingly instructive.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I enjoy having the HR data. It's also brought my attention to situations where I need to chill out or leave. I was flying the other day and consistently in the high 90s, just sitting in the plane. The combination of people and noise had me on high alert.

Changing my environment seems to work a lot better than trying to relax. I try to break up repeated interactions with groups, opt out of large crowds or loud places, do things at off peak times, etc. I have to think the reduced bouts of environment induced stress is beneficial, but it also means I am less resilient when routines are disrupted.

The doctor may have been a disruption. Part of me hopes that with a script for the annual physical, and preparing for it ahead of time, that I'll avoid triggering high alert.

I agree the Fitbit is near useless for exercise data. The only time it gives a consistent read is if I'm at a steady state on the elliptical.

The data I really want at a consumer level is continuous glucose monitoring. I try to adopt behaviors that limit highs and extreme lows, but it is all qualitative. I am sure having the objective metric available would trigger behavior changes. My a1c was fine last year, but I think managing blood sugar is one of the most valuable dietary habits we can adopt. I have considered doing a period finger stick checks, but have yet to follow through on it.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Scott 2 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am
The data I really want at a consumer level is continuous glucose monitoring. I try to adopt behaviors that limit highs and extreme lows, but it is all qualitative. I am sure having the objective metric available would trigger behavior changes. My a1c was fine last year, but I think managing blood sugar is one of the most valuable dietary habits we can adopt. I have considered doing a period finger stick checks, but have yet to follow through on it.
More about CGM and the hiperimportance of glucose:

http://investorfieldguide.com/attia/ (the whole podcast worths it, but between minutes 40-45 he talks about the importance of glucose disposal)
https://peterattiamd.com/2016-update/ (see Update #6)

Regarding the heart rate, it happens something very similar to me. When resting it uses to be over 80 if I feel a bit anxious, while other days it is just around 60. The only remedy I know, tranquility.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The article inspired me to price out a Dexcom G6 - looks like around $900 to start, then $350 a month for sensors. Ouch.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm
The article inspired me to price out a Dexcom G6 - looks like around $900 to start, then $350 a month for sensors. Ouch.
Ouch, ouch, a little bit pricey.

$350 a month perpetual using Jacob's formula buys you an additional pancreas to improve glucose disposal :roll:

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

No lifting this week. I am recovering from the work event that I knew would interrupt my training.

The company grew a lot last year, made a bunch of money. So they "rewarded" us by taking all employees and their spouses to a resort. Fast growth has included headaches, so it's also a staff retention ploy. We've known about the trip since January.

I put "rewarded" in quotes, because this is exactly the type of fast travel that becomes extremely expensive. All inclusive, the 4 nights ended up at $3500. The resort was about $360 a night, plus air fare, food, activities, pet sitter, ubers, etc. The company covered 2/3, so it was a great deal for the price, but still expensive.

My wife really enjoyed the trip, and she's the primary reason we participated. We would never have an experience like this if not for my work. Days were of course very long, and sleep was limited. I hit my first 20,000 step day on Saturday. My body and wallet are drained, so hence the easy week. Fortunately I am off from work this week and have time to rest.

There are a couple hidden costs to the travel:

1. I find switching between eating out and eating home food difficult. Since returning, I've missed a lot of meals. After 5 days of eating out whenever I want, cooking feels so laborious and unrewarding. This does not help my recovery to normal.

2. Disrupting my routine makes me impulsive. Especially when that disruption centers on travel and work, which both stress me out. Compounding this, my normal coping strategy of lifting isn't an option (I'll over-extend myself into getting sick). As a result, I've been heavily shopping the Black Friday sales, for gym equipment. Everything I bought, I wanted for at least a year, but I burned through about $1400.

The reality is, financially, all this does is slow my savings rate for the month. I won't feel any of it. But it is definitely a week of "high earner" lifestyle, and not the long term pattern I aspire to. At least the gym toys, I keep. They'll outlast me.

Finishing out the work year will be pretty easy. I'm full time the first 3 weeks of December, then have two more weeks off. I expect to be on normal patterns by the end of this week. I might pick up a video game I'm waiting for a good price on, but otherwise the unusual spending is done.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Spending is mostly reigned in. I did pick up a $25 video game and a buy it for life $30 ice cream scoop. No more bending my spoons. I ate out once, but it was taco bell. I haven't been grocery shopping since the Monday before Thanksgiving.

Lifting is getting back on track. I hit every session since Saturday. I did tweak my "bad" knee, forcing me to push out and modify my mid-week lower session. I am finding next to zero motivation for the improved cardio goal. This means my food is still lazy. I had two meals today. It's just so easy to get caught up in something and ignore eating.

I am lacking the work dissatisfaction that drives my need to train hard and create a source of control in my life. Not a bad thing at all, but it makes me think I'll need a more casual approach to lifting, through the remainder of the year. After the time off to reset, the work week is flying by.

Bonus and profit sharing are decided this month. I have a plan to address my biggest work issue once I return from vacation in January. It may result in some conflict, but puts control back in my court. The expected change is a huge contributor to my improved attitude.

One of my black friday purchases was a pair of gloves, because I lost one of mine in late February. It's nice to have gloves when outside temps are in the teens. I probably should have dealt with this problem sooner. I was being cheap and lazy, opposed to frugal.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Just two more weeks of work until two weeks off. I opted out of the holiday party, which ends up costing me about $200 to attend. Mostly it was to save my Friday evening and Saturday morning.

I redirected some tedious work to new hires. Half of it was suddenly no longer needed and the other half has not come back to me.

My boss proactively addressed a tough issue I raised to his attention. I was impressed and happy.

Receiving and setting up my new gym toys used up the time and energy I had to lift. I got in just one good training session, on Sunday night. I keep missing meals, which results in me moving much less.

Expenses for the week were on track. Biggest splurge was $35 to take my wife for lunch after a difficult morning. Got a $67 refund for something else though.

We're debating on cancelling the luxury gym until summer, when outdoor swim is available. The indoor pool will get a deciding try this weekend.

I'm growing out my beard. I've had trouble getting a decent, affordable haircut. I also hate both scheduling and going. Plan is to either shave my head or cut my own hair after the holidays. Hopefully the beard can offset any errors. My wife has been cutting her own hair for years, so I'll probably get her help.

I wasted two hours failing to use $15 in Kohl's cash. I finally gave up after I did the math and realized it was only going to net me $8 on a $50 spend. I am still learning to let go of old "frugal" behaviors where I valued my time at zero. I did at least nope out of a 45 minute plus customer service line, after realizing my mistake.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Scott 2 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 pm
I am still learning to let go of old "frugal" behaviors where I valued my time at zero.
Yeah, this one is tough, especially when the sense of justice or 'being right' is also involved. For example, when I realised I've been given £1 less change than I should've, in the past I'd just run back to the store and argue. Nowadays, I just ignore it as I value £1 less than, say, 15 minutes of my time (5 min to get to store & back and another 5 arguing my case). Seems obvious, but only when you stop and think about it. Other bizarre things I used to do is going to 2 different grocery stores for my shopping as some items were slightly cheaper in one or another. And we are talking pennies and not pounds as these were Aldi & Lidl so I was maybe saving £1-£2 at the cost of extra 20-30 minutes. Or spending 20 hours researching new graphics card for my desktop and ending up buying one for £50 instead of buying the first one with decent reviews even if 20-30% more expensive.

Nowadays I try to apply both time & price filters at the same time. Also, delegating purchase research whenever possible. Another 'trick' is to write down criteria you're looking for when researching a purchase, then start looking from the cheapest options first and buy first than meets all your criteria.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Yes! The need to be right is especially problematic. I hate feeling like I've been taken advantage of, even when I can afford it. The behavior is completely irrational, but it so hard to stop.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

We decide to put the gym on hold for 8 months of the year. That reduces annual spend per person, from $960 to $405. $100 a month is expensive, but swimming outdoors is one of my wife's favorite activities.

I got a $50 refund on one of my new home gym toys, due to a mismatch between what was delivered and what was advertised. There's a good chance this was another situation where I should have just let it go, but I did not.

I am still struggling with motivation to lift. I decided to take most of this week off and focus on fixing my sleep. My hope is once rested, the desire to train will naturally return. My patterns got all messed up with the trip to AZ and time off over Thanksgiving. Lots of nights with 4-6 hours of sleep. It isn't enough. The past two nights, I got very close to 8h. That required going upstairs to begin my bedtime rituals at 8pm. It's not fun, but feeling rested is pretty great.

My performance review was today. My boss had almost nothing to say about changes I've made, to stop doing other people's work. I was focusing on the wrong things, to my detriment. I plan to be much more specific when we set goals for 2019 and make sure I get credit for the work I do. I am hopeful the positive review is reflected in bonus, profit sharing and 2019 comp.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I made it to the end of the work year. I am on vacation through the first week of January. My bonus paid out and I qualify for profit sharing on 1/1. Together, that's about 20% of my annual compensation, which is the big milestone I'd been working for. I expected to know 2019 comp, but that is still undecided.

I did spend an extra couple hundred bucks on grocery deliver and eating out over the past two weeks. I wanted to make up some time, celebrate earning my bonus, etc. Getting things at work locked down for 16 straight days off was strenuous.

I'll see a lot of family for Christmas. Otherwise, my only must do is getting my work affairs in order. Once vacation is over, I will propose changes that either make my job highly sustainable, or end it. Both paths work out well for me, but I don't enjoy the uncertainty.

I'm going resume lifting tomorrow, starting with an abbreviated full body routine. I'll see how my interest goes as I settle into vacation, before increasing frequency or volume. I expect heavy soreness after almost a month with no training.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Notable vacation spending:

1. I took advantage of post-Christmas sales to buy a bunch of crap that is bad for me, enough to last until Summer. Video games, whiskey, junk food, etc. At least it was all discounted by 30-50%. Stock up while things are cheap :)

2. A decidedly non-ERE expense, but something enabled by having my finances in order. I decided to give my wife a week yoga retreat in Mexico. All inclusive, it will be about $3500. She has wanted a tropical vacation her whole life. I hate to travel. I hate to be hot. Rather than deny her experience, or suffer through it myself, money provides this third option. She is thrilled. The specific retreat has a premium price, but ticks a bunch of boxes for her around location, activities, yoga style, food, etc.

Vacation as a trial of "not work"

1. My resting heart rate is down 3-4 bpm in just under a week. It has taken the better part of that week to unwind and return to a "normal" baseline.

2. A big contributor was deciding to get offline all day on Wed. and Thurs. Without the constant stimulus of the internet, I slept 10 hours on Wednesday. That's a good sign my browsing is not healthy. I know I use the internet to hide from uncertainty. I am going to try focused bouts of being online, against a checklist, maybe once a week.

3. The desire to do 2 hour lifting sessions has not yet returned. I got one abbreviated session in on Tuesday, plan another for today. I did attend my wife's yoga class last night, take a couple walks, and go swimming on Monday. Rather than force more, I am leaning towards simply doing some yoga or lifting for 30-60 minutes each day. I can take walks or go swimming when my wife is interested. From a health perspective, it's enough.

4. I am starting to miss having a "big" technical problem to work on. That's not entirely unexpected. Outside of recent uncertainty over pay, my work complaints stem from a dislike of travel and frustration over lost sleep. I enjoy having something complicated to focus on, especially when I get both money and respect for it.

5. My non-work social structure is virtually non-existent. I don't need much human interaction, so work has been enough. Depending how life moves forward, I'll need to address this. I've looked around for a couple classes, gaming events, meetups, etc. It will be ok, but may require some action on my part.

6. I remain lazy when it comes to domestic activity. My laundry has been in the dryer for two days. The upstairs toilet is still slowly leaking. My sheets continue creeping off the bed. Vacuuming half the house was an accomplishment. I get zero satisfaction from the chores.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

1. What video games did you end up getting?

2. So you bought video games and also paid for a slot of time for uninterrupted play?

2. Although obviously 2 hours would do more even an hour of lifting is already going to be doing great things for your health.

5. It sounds like you may be like me in this aspect. I find that though the effect of lacking social interaction is less pronounced than it seems for most, but it definitely is still there for me if I really pay attention to it and it probably is best not to completely neglect it.

6. Wait are you really me? Between the video games, lack of social life and the domestic chores problems(including the leaking upstairs toilet even)...

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The time to game really is the expensive part of the hobby! I'll be lonely by day 3 of her trip though. See social interaction problem.

I picked up a handful of 3ds games - the latest Kirby, monster hunter 4, the first Phoenix Wright. I've played most of the 3ds library that interests me, but am biding time until the Switch has its first hardware revision. If I can get into monster hunter, I expect that to tide me over. Working on a computer all day makes console gaming a little much, but the portables are perfect for me.

In all honesty, my body is happier lifting less. It is easier on my joints and digestion. Eating enough to make progress is really uncomfortable. I assume my ego will eventually get me back to it.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Yeah the ease of consoles compared to pc is what had me drift from PC gamer to console gamer as I become and adult, but consoles are becoming less convenient over time with mandatory installs that take up a decent bit of time, large updates and patches to install afterwards etc.

The one downside with Nintendo is how long it takes for both games and hardware to see discounts.

If you end up liking Monster Hunter that could easily be 100+ hours.

Eating too much is my own problem at times, though it's more what I'm eating than how much that's the problem. Haven't really noticed too much joint problems, but have only been at it for just under a year though and generally only do about 60-90 minutes 5 times a week.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

It seems without work lending structure to my days, I am content to laze comfortably. I didn't stay off the internet, I haven't lifted, the toilet is still running, etc. I slept till noon on new years day. My weeks depend upon external rituals enforcing a pattern to my time.

Since I get back to work next week, I'm not too worried about it, But I will need to keep this in mind long term. I do plan on attending my wife's yoga class this week. I might try to make it a more regular thing. We've been watching the Konmari show on Netflix, which has lead her to do some tidying. I've been along for the ride a bit.

Spending has been minimal since last Thursday. I got a bunch of dividend income at the end of the year, which I totally forgot was a thing. I've been investing since 2002, so I should know. I celebrated by treating my wife and I to $45 of Indian carry out.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

As soon as work started looming, I got back on a schedule. I picked up a cheap alarm clock, got the phone out of my bedroom, brought my wake time back to 7:30am, started getting offline around 8pm and am doing yoga every night. I really do thrive on structure.

Annual physical was today. My blood pressure and HR were consistent with last year, which is borderline high. I didn't do my cardio, but I still suspect there is some white coat syndrome going on. I could feel myself on edge the entire morning, and I started sweating in the doctor's office. The doctor might be there to help, but my body seems convinced otherwise. I've ordered a home blood pressure monitor to check things under more favorable conditions. I am not eager to change my lifestyle and am looking for reasons not to. :D I'll get blood work later this week and hope it is in line with last year's.

I guess at my age, getting moles checked every two years by a dermatologist is advised. My doctor referred me to a specific guy in his hospital network. I need to figure out the cost, if it's worth trying to use someone outside the hospital network that will do cash prices, etc. I'm on a high deductible plan, so whatever the price ends up being, comes out of my HSA. I fear getting charged $300 to have someone look at my back for 15 minutes and go "yep, you're fine".

Very little other spending. With work, there's no time for shopping. I am still waiting on 2019 compensation numbers, so I have yet to propose any changes to my role.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Got the blood pressure monitor. First reading suggests I do have white coat syndrome. I will need to sort out syncing it with my phone and doing a few weeks of recurring daily measurements. I'm not very eager to, since I don't think there's a real issue here. Blood work came back ok as well. So overall good news. I have to remind myself a doctor visit without bad news is not a waste of time and money.

Finally had the 2019 compensation discussion at work. I also told my boss I need to go 95% remote. I've been travelling to the office twice a month for the past 8 years, about 4h each way, often with an overnight hotel stay. If the change in my remote work status doesn't get me fired, I'll be content with the compensation. I feel re-engaged with the job. IT salaries are irrational right now, so I could get more elsewhere, but I highly value quality of life factors. I also don't have much appetite for a new full time position. My next step on being let go would be a long period off, followed by fun part time work.

I made it to my wife's yoga class for the 3rd week in a row. It's a pain to fit my schedule to the start time, but especially with going 95% remote, having a social activity outside the house is a really good idea.

If I don't get fired, I need to reconsider my financial situation. At this point I am hoarding money in fear of low risk events during old age. It's not a terrible plan, but there's probably greater utility to be gained. I did treat my wife to the 30 pack of 2 ply at Aldi, so I'm not a total miser.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I didn't get fired yet :D. Changing my work travel has been very motivating. Am I good enough to get the special treatment accepted long term? I don't know. I am enjoying the uncertainty (for once) and the challenge. Every week I last is a nice bump to my savings. There has been a strong productivity boost as well.

I stopped using the blood pressure monitor. Maybe there was a cheaper way to figure out everything is ok, but I am content with having paid $50 for peace of mind. I still need to schedule a skin cancer screening.

Being on my best behavior at work did result in missing my wife's yoga class this week. It's very unusual meetings run past 4pm, but today was a 5:40 sort of day. I am choosing my battles carefully right now, and that was a good one to cede.

I chickened out on cutting my own hair and am going to pay a barber tomorrow. Right now the plan is to see how he matches my beard with a hairstyle, and then try to have my wife maintain it at home. I'm currently rocking 3 months of growth and have no idea how to bring it under control.

I am doing really well at reigning my bed time in, doing yoga every night, waking by 7:30 and doing the full dental care routine twice a day. Getting off electronics at 8pm is the corner stone. Everything falls in to place, provided I power down.

Yesterday, I lifted for the first time this year. We'll see if my enthusiasm is returning.