What's a reasonable range to spend on purchasing a car for a single ERE person?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Kriegsspiel

Re: What's a reasonable range to spend on purchasing a car for a single ERE person?

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Well, if you're looking for a turret and ram, I feel safe assuming that you are looking to use the vehicle for executive transport of suburban kids (soccer practice, school, etc). And for that, you're going to want an uparmored SUV, not a hatchback.

Good thing you brought that up.

TopHatFox

Re: What's a reasonable range to spend on purchasing a car for a single ERE person?

Post by TopHatFox »

Maybe I can add an accessory to the turret that lobs EMP grenades. Get those damn kids off their tablets haha.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

You're referring to the AN/VLQ-12 vehicle-mounted jammer, which will effectively reduce the tablet threat.

EMP grenades are a video game thing.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I definitely would not exceed $8k and I would buy used.
Beyond that it really depends on your skills and preferences.
I went the cheap cheap route and spent $1200 on a car, but by the time it got put out of its misery I spent a ton on repairs and maintenance, I didn't really save all that much. I probably spent an extra $2500 on repairs and crap.
Most recently I spent about $6000 for a 2013 Ford Fiesta with stupidly low miles, 24,000 or something. It's been perfect. Nothing but oil changes. great on gas. gets me around town pretty well. Plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. I got lucky because the person's mother had died, he had inherited the car, and he was motivated because his HOA required him to move the car every day from its parking spot. That and I am sure it was fairly emotional for him. So he priced it to move. I've had good luck buying cars driven by old people. I always seek the story when buying a used car, almost always "well this was my mom's car..." was a good buy.