What was the scandal?

Stahlmann

Re: Lemur Journal!

Post by Stahlmann »

prognastat wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:19 pm
@Jacob

What was the scandal?
Everytime extreme frugality (living on 1/(3 or 4) median/average income in given country) is presented to somebody on 0 Wheaton's level, this argument is summoned to discussion, because it was picked up by random netizen in 2005-10 as argument against ERE.
Last edited by Stahlmann on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I don't see any real discussion surrounding any of that on the recipe or the reviews for the link provided though, that's what has me confused.

wolf

Post by wolf »

I made a banana-soy-milkshake today with one banana peel. :mrgreen:
It didn't really tasted differently because it was mixed very well.
If you don't overdo it with the banana peels it should be good. ;)

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Always enjoy the Thanksgivings in my family. My Uncle is the only person in my family I can talk to about my investments, saving money, 401ks and the like because he is the only one that that understands the power of compound interest....especially at my age. He is a multi-millionaire, very high-energy person, a bit of an introvert (or just can't relate to everyone else in the family?) but my Aunt is the extrovert that balances that out at family get togethers.

On another random note I always wondered how sugar can cause heart problems. A question was asked on reddit "Sugar causes heart disease? How does sugar form fatty plaques inside your arteries?" Response: It doesn’t directly. It irritates the vascular/arterial lining, creating scar tissue, which causes aggregation of normally free-flowing sticky fats and platelets. This forms the basis for vascular/arterial narrowing. The narrowing of the vasculature creates higher venous pressure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28515343
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25392110
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _and_aging

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Waiting on my final project grade and if I get at least a 72% it would mean I could pass the class with 80% and my Master's Degree would be over. Going to feel nice not having scheduled assignments, classwork, and group projects. I will be able to allocate the free time to spending more time with my kid and learning Python.

I work in a gov't job that restricts what we can have on the government laptops. They let us have Python 2.0 but not R. I know R but not Python. :/

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Did better than I thought and got a 93% which pumped my grade up to an 'A'. Happy to be done my Master's program.

As it translates to the corporate world...the Master's program was useful in this regard as I was the team lead on many projects and group assignments. I learned that management sucks lol. As far as subject material (financial management), I'll probably never use any of that in my career. For my investments, it helped a little in seeing the big picture of a business.

I'm looking forward to continued learning at my own pace without assignments and grades. I started learning Python today though I was gonna hold off on that to next year. But the itch continues to learning something with my time.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-st ... weaknesses

My Myers-Briggs Personality

I##J

I know for sure I am an introvert and I prefer Judgment over Perception; however, the two ones in the middle (sensing/intuition) and (thinking/feeling) I have a hard time putting myself in a category because I'm terrible at this self-diagnoses.

I thought for sure I preferred "thinking" over "feelings" but my actions and how I feel about relationships at work make me feel otherwise (I've lost sleep over my boss being angry for instance). For example, I've had situations at work where I present facts, I know I am right, but sometimes these arguments mean someone else has to lose the argument/debate or what have you. I put a lot of weight on the social implications of my job. It is the same when I debate with a friend. I have clear views but I will certainly compromise or meet middle ground if it means maintaining the friendship. I think this makes me a "feeling" over a "thinking."

For sensing/intuition, I don't have an example. If someone could provide me one to click the lighbulb on so I could choose that would be great. I feel I'm a hybrid in this area.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/IPIP-BFFM/

Extroversion 6/100
Emotional Stability 43/100
Agreeableness 14/100
Conscientiousness 80/100
Intellect 18/100

I took a personality test that ranked me low on agreeableness. I disagree lol

I am not surprised by the fact that I am an introvert with a high score in conscientiousness. "Conscientiousness is the personality trait of being careful, or vigilant. Conscientiousness implies a desire to do a task well, and to take obligations to others seriously. Conscientious people tend to be efficient and organized as opposed to easy-going and disorderly. They exhibit a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement; they display planned rather than spontaneous behavior; and they are generally dependable."

I was caught offguard by the low score on "intellect / open to experience."

Factor V is labeled as Intellect/Imagination. This factor is also often called Openness to Experience. People who score low tend to be traditional and conventional.

Certainly a blind spot I should look into perhaps but again, being an "introvert" is certainly not a bad thing! Just a result. Being conventional and traditional does not have to be bad either...like my spouse says sometimes: my movements, actions, and what I am about to say are very predictable...

Here is something that is real interesting...
Why is Conscientiousness negatively correlated
with intelligence?
https://web.archive.org/web/20141223141 ... e-2004.pdf

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

In the Big 5 Openness isn't the same as Intellect.

IQ is a separate measurement from the Big 5, you could score very low in Openness and be extremely intelligent or the complete reverse. So I wouldn't be too worried though I'm confused why they're labelling it as intellect.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

prognastat wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 pm
In the Big 5 Openness isn't the same as Intellect.

IQ is a separate measurement from the Big 5, you could score very low in Openness and be extremely intelligent or the complete reverse. So I wouldn't be too worried though I'm confused why they're labelling it as intellect.
I figured this! But I also wouldn't put much weight into IQ myself..."IQ" was a big deal when I was younger but I think a lot of success is built more upon persistence...

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

IQ and conscientiousness are the two metrics most linked to success.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

AMD almost back up to $21.00. I sold 2 puts on AMD for $21.00 strike price for January 18. The market has been wild for this stock because after I had sold these puts, the stock rose 10%+ and I thought I was in the clear no problem before the market tanked again due to whatever reason.

On a second note, signing up for healthcare coverage again. I'm going for the slightly cheaper plan against my spouse wishes...why? We're both healthy, our son is healthy, and preventative measures are still 100% covered anyway. Less premium means I have more money to employ elsewhere.

Last note. I was gonna log in a work rant but desired not to go into that lol. The short story is I hate having multiple bosses with competing interests. The incompetence I'm surrounded with is a bit annoying as well...I am no doubt the "work horse" at my place.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Started my own blog today. Feeling pretty excited and motivated to have a creative outlet going. It certainly is one way to heal the mind from the 9-5 grind and it is possible I could make some money doing so. The blog will be centered around learning data science (from a newbie perspective) and other offhand topics...

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Got a good deal on a local gym in my area. $30 sign up fee (and once a year) plus $8.99 a month. $167.88 all together when you add the enrollment fee ($30) plus the $8.99 for 12 months. At 4% withdrawal rate, this would require $3,447 in investments to cover for life. ($167.88 - $30 / 0.04). Worth it to me considering the cost benefits of stronger bones, cardio, and mental health.

Did not compute the commute to the gym and back. 8 miles in my Prius (round-trip).

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Working from home on Christmas Eve....during a government shutdown. Not a single email today lol.

I also have a job interview January that could potentially increase my salary from $65k to $80k with a sign-up bonus. I've only been at my last 2 positions for one year a piece...at what point I wonder do these jumps make me look unreliable, but than again I've read that this is becoming the new norm.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Good luck with the interview, it definitely is becoming more of a norm. I would say jumping multiple times with less than a year between jobs might still make you look unreliable, but with 1+ years I would say you've shown you aren't going to just up and leave right away.

Fish

Post by Fish »

Lemur wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:07 pm
Did not compute the commute to the gym and back. 8 miles in my Prius (round-trip).
In case you needed some ideas on how to get a quick ballpark estimate. In any event cost of transportation is comparable if not greater assuming you go frequently.

1. Using the IRS mileage rate (58 cents/mi for 2019):
(3 visits/wk) * (8 mi/visit) * ($0.58/mi) * (52 wk/yr) = $724/yr

2. If you account for cost of car ownership and maintenance elsewhere, then you could just compute the cost of fuel:
(3 visits/wk) * (8 mi/visit) * (1 gal/50 mi) * ($3/gal) * (52 wk/yr) = $75/yr

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Finished a week of interviews. I think they went well. Hopefully I'm in for some luck.

Also reading (well listening to an audiobook) Walden on my commute back and forth to work. Very thought-provoking book. Feels extremely relevant to the theme of this forum.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Took me a ridiculous amount of time to figure out how to do one accounting entry in Quickbooks Pro. I'm trying to get my spouse's business on track for 2019 and move away from my Excel Workbook creation from last year.