fiby41

Who are your top 5 role models?

Post by fiby41 »

Who are your top 5 role models?

thegreatvoid

Re: Who are your top 5 role models?

Post by thegreatvoid »

Jacob. duh !
Last edited by thegreatvoid on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

My parents. I hope to grow up being half the person they are.
Other than that, I have tons of people I admire for different reasons.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Bill James, the baseball guy. I wrote my college essays about him... in 1988. No one else really comes to mind. Actually as far as showing me how to live my life a certain way goes, Jacob is up there.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Seppia wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:50 am
My parents. I hope to grow up being half the person they are.
There are two of them and one of you. One is half of two. So I guess you are succeeding brilliantly. ;) Besides, isn't that how genes work?

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

For the most part I have no role models. I'm too old for that. The ones I probably had subconsciously when I was younger aren't anyone famous or well-known, just little people I ran across in my life in whom I found things I deemed admirable.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

unemployable wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:16 am
Bill James, the baseball guy. I wrote my college essays about him... in 1988. No one else really comes to mind. Actually as far as showing me how to live my life a certain way goes, Jacob is up there.
Bill James has a fascinating life story.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I don't have role models but I find defining characteristics of certain people to be emulated. Mariano Rivera's ability to lot let huge losses on huge stages not impact his confidence, Warren Buffet and his ability to dissociate from his feelings, Bob Dylan's artistic metamorphosis, Robin William's ability of free association, Keith Richards genetic predisposition to not give a shit, Charles Taylor ability to view intellectual history. Because let's face it, one day you name your kid in honor of someone, and the next day you receive photos of him fucking his dog.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

DW, my 1 year-old son, elements of all my friends. This comes from a core belief developed over the years that positive (or emotionally beneficial, maybe this isn't the right language??) relationships are built on mutual admiration on some level (i.e. respect). This has also been put to the test with family members/extended family members when finding something that I admire about them has shifted the nature of the relationship to a positive direction (particularly with in-laws).