Midsize Lebowski would love it if you'd come and give him notes on Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
MidsizeLebowski

Midsize Lebowski would love it if you'd come and give him notes on Semi-ERE

Post by MidsizeLebowski »

Hello all, thank you for taking the time to read. Hoping this title is the appropriate call for fellow Follower's of The Church of Dude...

A little about the current state of my unholy union:

Live with V (significant other of 5 years) and our 2 dogs despite my constant railing against the values of pet ownership. Mine was an accident (inherited a puppy from an irresponsible friend @ age 22 - think I have 3-8 more years on the contract, dog currently 7. In reality I love the little varmint and will miss him dearly even while recognizing how much unnecessary spending and planning around the dog I'll save when he's gone) She seems to have a soft spot for fur and willfully adopted hers a few years before we moved in together and formed "The Pack".

We rent a 1bedroom apt in a sleepy bedroom community 7 miles from the coast in southern ca. I can bike to work (5 miles round trip). She commutes an outrageous 80 miles roundtrip 5 days a week but doesn't fully hate it due to beautiful coastal drive coupled with audiobooks.

Currently work full time as an overqualified personal trainer. Originally intended to get phd in Physical therapy but saw the pricetag and the work environment while in undergrad and decided would hack it as a working stiff prior to financing my way through further advanced degrees- end of that story is began making starting salary of said PT with far more flexibility and income mobility. Should I like bachelor's in Kinesiology opens up a few alternate career paths - cardiac rehab, physical therapy aide(5-10k in further schooling) strength and conditioning coach, corporate wellness, instagram celebrity "I use these shakes to keep those cheeks this supple and toned, link in bio".

She has a degree in music but has been slingin' product (that's what they call it in retail I've come to find out) as a manager in several retail venues over the past 5 years. Makes roughly 55k after salary, bonuses, employer contributions, etc. Her plan is to stay in this field until loans paid off in 2 years predicted time (projected from current rate of paydown- admittedly lower than peak). Also operates a small craft business that brings in ~300-400/month when actively pursued (attending markets, etc.)

In short term I'll stick with the full time training deal as it has a limitless ceiling, flexible hours, great pay relative to hours (currently about 80-100/hr in southern California) and it's genuinely rewarding to take sedentary office workers and arthritic oldies and get them out having fun with their kids/grandkids, picking up healthy habits like hiking, biking, etc. It's a line of work I enjoy and will probably continue in limited capacity during semi-ere. I've also started a small side hustle of growing microgreens and vending them to a small customer base/several restaurants. Income is at 200/month currently with about 5hrs monthly work- they grow themselves it would appear ;) .

Discovered ERE about 6 months ago, have since payed off 6k in debt (4k taxes & 2k consumer debt) and saved for literally the first time in my life at age 27 (all numbers seen below). Prior to that I had kept a buffer of 1 months living expenses/credit availability and somehow felt things were coasting along nicely - it was an odd time in hindsight :lol:

V and I keep all expenses seperate (she has 40k student loans, 10k invested in 401ks, etc. due to employer matches) spends roughly $1600/month in a very similar breakdown to my own. This will probably stay the same as we have a general philosophy that the only thing keeping us together should be a mutual appreciation for the relationship rather than kids, finances, divorce proceedings, etc.

Current debt- 0 (worked during school to meet living expenses, scholarships/15k inherited from very generous grandfather covered the BS tuition)

Current Assets:

SEP IRA: 9500
Brokerage: 1000
Cash: 850
Auto: 7000 (book value)

Net worth: 11,350 ('cause who counts a car?)

Monthly Cash Flow:

Net Income (avg): $4079 (based on real data - varies between 3800 and 4800) - personal training + 200/month microgreens

Expenses: $1540

Annual totals:
Income: 48950
Expenses: $18,480 (9,900 rent)

Monthly Expenses Break down as so:

Rent: 825
Utilities (water/trash, electric): $50 per person (these are divided by the apartment complex so little control here unfortunately)
Internet: 85/2: $43
Auto Ins: $38
Gas: $40
Cell: $34
Groceries:$200
Dog Food/ yearly vet bill averaged out: $60
Household supplies/coin laundry: $20
Clothes:$20 (athletic shoes for work decline quickly)
Entertainment(occasional concert, meal out, alcohol):$50
Health I: $160

Current lease is through May (6 months away), at this time we are looking into RV living, further apt downsizing (I think we can find a place for 1400 or so). We will either move to biking distance to her work (ritzy resort town that would be beautiful to live in and has abundant outdoor activities- beach, mountains, etc.) or stay within biking distance to mine should that look to make the most sense. I would commute 2 x week at roughly 30-35k annual income and look to build new client book in new location, expand microgreens business, begin gig-type roll as landscaper (used to have a lawn service business from age 15-22), work part time at nursery/landscaping company, whatever supplements the 2 days personal training(barista, bartender,massage therapist, etc.)

Our long term plans are to Semi-ERE within 5 years by age 33 for me, 32 for her with roughly 10 x annual expenses.

Goals for Semi-ERE:

-Spend ~3 months per year abroad (low cost slow travel approach) for the first several years of Semi-ERE as neither of us have spent more than 2 weeks outside the country and have agreed this is of significant importance to us (this will also stop early on or become full time living abroad just due to price of travel/effect on the planet being considered a major cost)

-Continue to grow and start small businesses (I'm from Baltimore, MD and would like to contribute to the community at large there via small business, volunteering., as it has a long history of demonstrating most things wrong with society and seems like a good "demonstration garden". I like the idea of trying for an absurd utopian world of permaculture, socially conscious populace, etc. but of course remain well grounded in reality (whatever that's percieved to be ;) )

-Work in the sweet spot of 20-25 hrs per week to continue funding FI while having the flexibility to travel yearly and spend significant time with both our families (hers CA based mine MD based), feel like we're living a stimulating life rather than groundhog day

-Diversify income streams to reduce fragility

Keys to these plans will be reducing housing expenses to <200/month via multi-unit home purchase/geographic arbitrage/cash purchase/tiny house/rv living, etc. and setting up a "home base" within bike/public transportation of either of our families (<50-75 miles).

Things we have going for us- health, relatively early starting age, acknowledgement that we both enjoy contributing to society in likely income earning endeavors, dashing good looks (her not me), appreciation for free leisure activities (hiking, biking, yoga, weight lifting, cooking, learning, reading, gardening) and an infinite source of inspiration due to communities like this.

Things we have against us- the dark lord Sauron, naturally.

Thank you all for reading, it'd be great to hear any of your thoughts and I'll look to update this typically monthly or bimonthly, may His Dudeliness Abide in all of your lives.
Last edited by MidsizeLebowski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2Birds1Stone

Re: Midsize Lebowski would love it if you'd come and give him notes on Semi-ERE

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Welcome to the boards. A few years older and further down a very similar path to your own.

If you can maintain your projected savings rate, that NW will grow like crazy and you will be ERE'd before you know it.

How did you and the dudette meet? It's not too common to find a significant other that's on board with this lifestyle.

MidsizeLebowski

Thanks for the welcome 2Birds1Stone,

I think we can definitely maintain and increase our savings rate, primarily by focusing on housing and with lesser effect by downsizing our grocery bill, we already purchase staples in bulk, eat a primarily whole foods plant based diet, etc. but there are certainly a few areas we can improve that should only enhance our lives while trimming our expenses.

Dudette and I met in a very typical friend of friends scenario.

Initially both of us were were very much the opposite of frugal - living in a 2300 apt with a "office" because we could "afford it and still save money". Inevitably those savings became the "vacation fund" or payed car repairs following a few months of impromptu trips to the "nice beach" 45 miles away instead of the one near our home or the bill for dinners out to "treat ourselves" for long weeks of work without recognizing the perpetuating cycle therein.

She was skeptical when the ERE plans materialized as spreadsheets and less "disposable spending". However, once I began framing it as "if I continue this pace for 2 years I can drop back to working 2 days a week and maintain our exact life" the wheels started turning). Further mapping out the timeline and numbers behind the goals we had discussed such as traveling, homesteading, etc. sealed the deal and she's 100% on board.

Now she is spearheading the RV hunt while I run the numbers to be sure it makes sense, makes much of what we "need" around the apt, started a side business out of her hobby to prep for semi-ere, etc. Yesterday over morning coffee I found us laughing at the absurdity/wastefulness of our rate of (bulk-purchased) honey-date consumption during movie night - this from a couple that less than a year ago spent $70-100 for the "experience" of driving 45 minutes to sit in a dimly lit room full of strangers while an entire staff of servants prepared our cuisine.

I think the important part was simply finding a decent human being. having a sound relationship first and then over time making the connections between financial success and the goals we had as a couple.
Last edited by MidsizeLebowski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I think you're luckier than you think.

Over about 3 years I wasn't even able to get my now soon to be ex-wife interested in MMM-ish lifestyle, meaning still roughly 30k annual spending with 3 bedroom house etc. Let alone moving to a smaller house, an apartment or anything smaller than that.

Though she is by no means an excessive consumer by American standards there was no convincing her of anything that would make us seem out of the ordinary to normal people.

Good job on turning your lives around btw.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

I´m also seriously considering semi- retiring next year. For a long time I had this image in my head of reaching a number and then retiring on a beach somewhere without having to worry about money ever again ( like in some heist movie, one last big score )

but the more I´ve learned abou the finacial system and the story called money, I doubt there will ever come a day where I don´t have to think / worry about my personal finances. Taxes, Iflation, war, desillusion of the EURO , .. so many uncertainties.

It´s easy for genius like Jacob , with an incredible drive to learn and master things , to retire. He would probably succeed at anything , he sets his mind at.

Ordinary lazy guy like me, I´m not so sure what my odds of sucess are.

MidsizeLebowski

A bit late on the response here...Hello Prognastat! Thank you for reading and your thoughts... I am indeed lucky, she's a cool lady, there was a little friction temporarily when I abruptly began refusing to spend on the most frivolous stuff like casual meals out for subpar food. That, and the shameless hours spent glued to this site/forum were not a great combination for a week or two :lol: .

T'was nothing a little "let me tell you something about the Dude here..." didn't smooth over. It was actually more akin to a quiet conversation about both views where freedom > stuff won out when presented properly but the reference must be made!

The crazy part is how normal one can appear while spending very little we're starting to find. Most of our social life comes from family and a few very close friends though so there's very little "social pressure" to speak of. Best wishes with the divorce for you and all involved, enjoy the renewed luxury of selfishly indulging your every whim my friend!
prognastat wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:02 pm
I think you're luckier than you think.

Over about 3 years I wasn't even able to get my now soon to be ex-wife interested in MMM-ish lifestyle, meaning still roughly 30k annual spending with 3 bedroom house etc. Let alone moving to a smaller house, an apartment or anything smaller than that.

Though she is by no means an excessive consumer by American standards there was no convincing her of anything that would make us seem out of the ordinary to normal people.

Good job on turning your lives around btw.
Last edited by MidsizeLebowski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidsizeLebowski

Thank you for the greetings and for reading classical_Liberal!
classical_Liberal wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:25 am
Good to see another Semi-ERE journal on the board!

Having the GF on board will be of great help, you did great by appealing to what motivates her.

Looking forward to reading more.

MidsizeLebowski

Thank you for reading and your thoughts thegreatvoid!

I'll be checking out your journal to see what your chosen approach to semi-retiring is!

I know what you mean about not resting easy when it comes to personal finances when it comes to the absolute numbers many of us discuss on this forum.

I think that's where a background defensive solution less dependent on financial capital comes into play. I mean that in the sense of decoupling our basic needs from the financial system to the greatest degree possible (offgrid living/paid off housing/creative living arrangements/etc.) alongside a small web of minor cash flow positive hobbies/businesses to provide for a very humble yet enjoyable existence. Even without the income production one could still have a certain degree of piece of mind with off-grid lifestyles.

I have confidence in your abilities as the lazy everyman my friend. Your revolution is not over, and I do not advise that you to do what your parents did!
thegreatvoid wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:48 am
I´m also seriously considering semi- retiring next year. For a long time I had this image in my head of reaching a number and then retiring on a beach somewhere without having to worry about money ever again ( like in some heist movie, one last big score )

but the more I´ve learned abou the finacial system and the story called money, I doubt there will ever come a day where I don´t have to think / worry about my personal finances. Taxes, Iflation, war, desillusion of the EURO , .. so many uncertainties.

It´s easy for genius like Jacob , with an incredible drive to learn and master things , to retire. He would probably succeed at anything , he sets his mind at.

Ordinary lazy guy like me, I´m not so sure what my odds of sucess are.
Last edited by MidsizeLebowski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidsizeLebowski

2018 In Review

Jan-March: Started reading general financial info after finding a book titled Get A Financial Life which was ironically purchased on credit in a very cool outdoor used bookstore during a date of breakfast out/general meandering (meal also on credit). Wheels started turning... books like Rich Dad Poor Dad, YMOYL, Simple Path to Wealth by JLCollins to follow. Focus on income rather than expenditures still the focus but not working for money became the goal.

April:Discovered MMM, began considering reducing expenses. ERE to follow shortly after...

April '18 Finances

Assets:
Auto - $7k value Maximum
Cash ~ $1000
Sep IRA- $3000
Total: ~$11000

Liabilities: $3k credit card debt, $5300 unpaid income taxes

Net Worth: ~$2700

May '18

Reduce monthly rent by $325/person, move walking distance (2 miles) to work, begin tracking living expenses, eliminate overlaps in insurance coverages, excessive phone bills, lingering gym membership/subscriptions to streaming services, etc. Eliminate $800 from monthly budget overall bringing total to $1650

May-December '18

Acclimate to living frugally, realize very little of substance is missing vs prior 27 years. Begin to crystalize plans for ERE, much more content, dissapearance of gut and frontal-lobe-follicle wrenching anxiety.

December 31st Finances:

Assets:

SEP IRA: 10500
Brokerage: 1000
Cash: 1850
Auto: 6500 (book value)

Net worth: 13,350 ( $19,850 including auto)

May-December: + 17,150

I'll add more stats regarding regarding income for the year, etc. later. Happy with the progress made, looking forward to building a lot more flexibility this year and continuing towards Semi-ERE @ >15x expenses on the 6-7 year timeline. Thanks to all for reading/comments, this forum has been of immense value , much gratitude to everyone who participates in it!
Last edited by MidsizeLebowski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Congrats! If you count your car (can always sell it), you are at 1 year of budget = net worth. That's huge considering you started from scratch well into 2018. Does you SO have a car as well?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

That must be a dramatic shift in quality of life over 8 months.

I remember 2 years of living expenses saved as the last big drop off in my financial stress. Keep working your plan and it will happen this year.

Your profession is ideally suited to semi-ERE.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

Sub $200/m is an enviable goal! I'm currently going for <$10k/y right now, otherwise known as $833/m. I'm looking forward to following your journey, we're similar in age and income and I'll definitely glean motivation from your journey as you each FI him no time!

MidsizeLebowski

Thanks 2Birds1Stone! She does, she currently commutes in it for work and it probably has about 1-2 years max life left in it at current pace, at which point she'll take over mine. Both vehicles are paid off, hers a 2010 Ford Focus @ 150,000 miles, mine a 2011 Toyota Camry @ 85,000. Current minimal insurance on my vehicle @ the present <2000 miles per year is at $372 dollars per year.

pace
2Birds1Stone wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 am
Congrats! If you count your car (can always sell it), you are at 1 year of budget = net worth. That's huge considering you started from scratch well into 2018. Does you SO have a car as well?
Thanks for the encouragement Scott 2, I can see how that 2 x expenses would be a major reduction in general financial stress. I definitely have noticed a major shift in quality of life since the paycheck-to-paycheck life last year, it feels like living in a different world frankly. Training certainly is well suited to ERE, there are several timespans each week where my hourly income is $120+ before taxes which seems outrageous ($240k/yr @ 40hr week). Long term the goal is to put together 2-3 hours of that rate for 2-3 days a week. I enjoy the work/interaction with clients, it's just the slog of waking up @ 4:30AM and finishing work at 7PM that wears on you, going part time would mitigate that.
Scott 2 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 am
That must be a dramatic shift in quality of life over 8 months.

I remember 2 years of living expenses saved as the last big drop off in my financial stress. Keep working your plan and it will happen this year.

Your profession is ideally suited to semi-ERE.

Thanks for commenting Cheepnis! Sub 10k is big at our income level, that extra 4k a year we saved going from $1150 to $825 made a significant difference since it's a few x monthly expenses. I actually think we can find places around 700-750 without even getting creative (still living in a 1bd/studio apt) here in S. Cal. Are you in a HCOL area/able to share living expenses via roommates/SO, etc.? I'll take a look through your journal soon, will definitely follow along, glad to have a peer/ being able to bounce ideas off/encourage eachother! It can seem like a daunting task looking at people's 500K+ net worths on here,etc. I'm always encouraged looking back at posts like Jacob's ERE on sale for 85K post, etc. and realizing he ERE'd at 150k or so with no need to work. Is your primary goal full retirement or semi-retirement?
Cheepnis wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 am
Sub $200/m is an enviable goal! I'm currently going for <$10k/y right now, otherwise known as $833/m. I'm looking forward to following your journey, we're similar in age and income and I'll definitely glean motivation from your journey as you each FI him no time!

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

MidsizeLebowski wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:59 pm
Well glad the conversion and conversations went well on your end. Having a supporting partner makes all the difference in your odds of success. There are benefits financially to having a partner, but only if you agree on the goals. If you remain unaligned on those it has the opposite effect where you'd be making better progress single despite the potential financial benefits.

Thanks for the best wishes, so far it's going as relatively well as one could hope for one to go.

Congrats to the improvements you've made over the year.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

My city is HCOL relative to other comparably sized areas, but it's most definitely LCOL when compared to somewhere like NYC or SF. I split expenses with my GF and we get a sweet deal seeing as we rent from a member of her family. I currently pay a larger portion of the expenses since I make more and I think it's just be greedy to ask since a better situation cannot be found around here.

Goal is most likely semi ERE. We'd like to do some travel, though neither of us have much experience doing so. First GF still has a little coming around to do. She is generally ok with frugality, but hasn't given much thought to how her financial decisions in the now translate into the future. Her job is fairly stressful and I think she'll eventually see she holds more power over her need for employment than she realizes.

MidsizeLebowski

As promised going to get a little more in depth analysis/projections going here: I'm going to be tracking 3 ratios in terms of potential WR that are relevant to the plans of Semi-ERE

Actual Expenses / Assets (conventional WR calculation)

Bare-Bones Expenses / Assets :

Which tentatively will be defined as:

Housing: 350 (presumed 1/2 rent following move to LCOLA)
Utilities (water,heat,electric,etc.): $80
Transportation:$30 (assuming occasional public transportation, bike maintenance, etc.)
Phone: $20
Food:150
Health Ins: $150 (Presumed lower premium based on reduction in income)
Unforeseen expenses (copays, poor estimation skill, etc.): $100/month
Entertainment: $25
Total $905 (assuming living in US in more desirable LCOLA - there are several that have been investigated)

"Semi ERE Ratio" which will be shown as

Actual Expenses - $600 monthly income (part time to later be replaced by SS) / Assets:

This reflects very conservative Semi-ERE income (20hrs/week @ minimum wage job) replaced by conservative SS benefits. Current SS projection would be roughly 1200/month, I elected to go with 50% of that number)

So, here goes:

Actual Expenses* / Assets: 1728 * 12 / 19,850 : WR @ 105% :lol:

Bare-Bones Expenses/Assets: 905 * 12 / 19,850 : WR @ 54.7%

Semi ERE Ratio: (1728-600) * 12 / 19,850 : WR @ 68.2%

* expenses covered in later post, now paying 288 for HIP due to increase in income
Last edited by MidsizeLebowski on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MidsizeLebowski

Here's something to consider if you want to get a sense for where travel fits into you and GF's plan, ERE type savings/spending really opens the door to so many possibilities while still making financial progress once you have a decent asset base.
https://livingafi.com/2015/08/04/taking-a-gap-year/

I think that it makes sense for you to be paying a larger portion, particularly if it's a relationship you're relatively invested in /the individual is part of your future plans, good on you.

We have a similar modest arrangement where I cover the majority of our groceries beyond the odds and ends that V picks up so that she can accelerate paying down student loans so we can get to semi-ere at a more even pace. I think if the end game is you lounging on a beach somewhere while your partners slogs away 45hrs/week trying to catch up to you for 5+ years that's likely to lead to a low quality or terminated relationship.

Cheepnis wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:20 pm
My city is HCOL relative to other comparably sized areas, but it's most definitely LCOL when compared to somewhere like NYC or SF. I split expenses with my GF and we get a sweet deal seeing as we rent from a member of her family. I currently pay a larger portion of the expenses since I make more and I think it's just be greedy to ask since a better situation cannot be found around here.

Goal is most likely semi ERE. We'd like to do some travel, though neither of us have much experience doing so. First GF still has a little coming around to do. She is generally ok with frugality, but hasn't given much thought to how her financial decisions in the now translate into the future. Her job is fairly stressful and I think she'll eventually see she holds more power over her need for employment than she realizes.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

MidsizeLebowski wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:12 pm
I think that it makes sense for you to be paying a larger portion, particularly if it's a relationship you're relatively invested in /the individual is part of your future plans, good on you.
Yeah, didn't mean to come off otherwise. My part of the deal is so great I'd have a dirty conscience if I asked for it to be better. I didn't articulate that so well in my prior post.

And thanks for that link. Ive read a few things on that big before, but not that one. It was a good read.

MidsizeLebowski

January 2019 Review:

Net Income: $3664
*No side-gig income this month as the restaurant I was supplying is closed for remodel until April, need to diversify here)

Expenses:$2657

Rent: $825
Utilities:$87
Groceries:$379
Auto Insurance:$48 (slightly higher due to random once yearly fee)
Gas:$77 (visited GF's family, toured friend from out of state around, unusual usage to commute to work)
Meals Out/Coffee:$50
Cell Phone:$30
Health Insurance:$288 (bronze HDHP plan w/HSA (HSA contributions reduce this to 220ish when tax savings accounted for)
Massage: $65 (therapist has referred over $10k/year of business over a 2 year span so part personal/part advertising)
Entertainment: $0
Household Items/Dog Food:$270
Miscellaneous: $537 ($Bike-300, Shoes/Clothes for work-237)

Savings:$1007

High spending/low income month led to an abysmal savings rate of 27.4%.

I felt like I was hemorrhaging money this month, seems odd that this is considered to be an admirable savings rate in some circles...

Lowest savings rate to date since I started tracking 8 months ago, fortunately much of this spending will reduce future outlays as purchases included a $300 bike (retail @ $950 :D ) found on craigslist that should last a lifetime and eliminate the $10/week I was spending on gas commuting to work, auto depreciation/wear and tear, etc. I had my bike stolen just before the new year and was using a mix of bus, walking, and driving depending on time of day to commute the past month as I waited to find a good deal on a bike.

Dog food, grocery staples, household supplies all bought in bulk and should last roughly 6 months, lowering future expenses. Work shoes/clothes should last the year, clothes much longer- 2+ years at least.

Net worth numbers:

Assets:

SEP IRA: 10834
Brokerage: 1043
Cash: 2550
Auto: 6400 (book value)

Net worth: 14,427 ( $20,827 including auto)

FI Ratios

Actual Expenses / Assets : 1739 * 12 / 20,827 : WR @ 100.002 % (Hit one year's living expenses!)

Bare-Bones Expenses/Assets: 905 * 12 / 20,827 : WR @ 52.1%

Semi ERE Ratio: (1739-700) * 12 / 20,827 : WR @ 59.9%

Bare Bones Semi-ERE: (905) - Part time income (600) = 305*12 / 20,827 : WR @ 17.6 %

General Life Notes/Musings

This was an interesting month, losing the side-income from microgreens made me realize how naturally diversified the nature of my primary income is, as I lost a couple clients while picking up a few others and saw only a modest reduction in net income, the hedged nature of my job makes it the perfect fit for semi-ere. This is a pleasant find. I'll look to build out the same with the microgreens business. Having two completely independent but well diversified income streams would help me sleep better at night- though truth be told I sleep pretty damn well, those years of redlining it as a consumer living on credit have made the current lifestyle feel like absolute and total security for better or for worse.

I spent a good amount of money on continuing education this month which lowered my net income a bit as well, learning how to maintain/improve joint health was well worth the $600 in seminar registrations, books, etc. I appreciate this a lot more than I would have in the my early 20's when making more money to buy more useless shit/"experiences" was the major marker of success.

V (gf) and I had a great day at one of the parks near us- it's a spectacular oak lined canyon with a meadow at the bottom complete w/ seasonal stream (which is in season thanks to the wonderful amount of rain we're getting here in SoCal) and a small 1 mile hiking trail up one of the canyon ridges to a pergola with ocean and coastline views. It was vacant surprisingly which made for a great date. We spent most of Sunday afternoon there hanging out in the meadow w/the dogs, walking up to take in the view, reading as the dogs occupied themselves investigating the gopher community, etc.

When V walked off to explore with the dogs I reclined against a boulder, closed my eyes and took in the birdsong and the warmth of the sunshine on my skin. I came to the realization that a life composed 75-80% of that type of relaxation coupled with 20-25% in a contribute to society scenario(think employment in something positive like personal training, organic market gardening vs. selling widgets to people buying them on credit) is really what I'm after in ERE. This was a powerful realization, and led me to consider ways I can get there sooner rather than later.

Running some numbers I think I'll probably work full time for another 2-3 years, accumulate 100-125k and then pull the trigger on semi-ere. With my job I can make a net of 25k(very conservative)-40k (very aggressive)/year working 2 days a week. I think this is the direction for now, we shall see what happens in the coming years. Thanks for reading, take 'er easy dudes/dudettes.
Last edited by MidsizeLebowski on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.