In case you'd like a leg up on the ERE book;

Your favorite books and links
FBeyer

In case you'd like a leg up on the ERE book;

Post by FBeyer »

Andy Hunt wrote Pragmatic Thinking & Learning; Refactor your wetware.

Among other things the book covers: Dreyfus levels, MBTI-as-an-entry point-to-negotiation, skill diversification, content production over theory acquisition, and good learning strategies. No matter what page I flipped to it just screamed ERE to me. I can't tell if these two books are strongly causally related or merely correlated. None the less: if you had a hard time reading the ERE book, Pragmatic Thinking is a very good introduction to several topics of the ERE book.

Enjoy.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: In case you'd like a leg up on the ERE book;

Post by jacob »

Sounds interesting!

I see that it came out in 2008, but I have never read it/heard about it. Coincidentally, I have been working on something similar (complete with tables and graphs, but no equations yet :-P ) for my next project. I suppose I need to get my hands on it before I reinvent the wheel.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

I uh, might have written the first 350 pages of Pragmatic Thinking in terms of frugality so uhm…
Race you to the finish line? ;)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

We're not in the same race then.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@Fbeyer -- the first 350? Is this going to be the War and Peace of frugality books? :P

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

the river was barely there.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

FBeyer wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 am
I uh, might have written the first 350 pages of Pragmatic Thinking in terms of frugality so uhm…
Race you to the finish line? ;)
Can I read these 350 pages :D ?

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

This topic is not about my book. Any of you with comments on it can ask whatever you want in my journal where I mention it regularly.

Fish

Post by Fish »

@FBeyer Thanks for the recommendation! I would describe it as a practical guide for increasing creativity and improving performance in mental activities. The main idea seems to be explaining how to effectively engage the other side of the brain (“R-mode”) for those who are inclined to think logically and rationally. I don’t think there’s much of a direct connection to ERE, rather several of the concepts that are repeatedly described in the book/blog/forum are explained in very simple terms with a practical focus. The author is an excellent teacher.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I wonder what the overlap is between Pragmatic Thinking and Psychology of Intelligence Analysis. I guess the obvious thing is one is more about learning and the other is more about analysis (appears to be true by comparing table of contents too).