What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
AsaCul

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by AsaCul »

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 pm
Gravy Train was compelled to be wrong. Ketosis is not dangerous for normal healthy people. The keto diet wasn't "developed" for use with epileptics, it already existed, and they discovered it helped treat it. Doctors can treat you if you're sick, but don't necessarily know jack shit about diets.
100% this. Doctors don't know everything about everything and people forget that. I'm not saying don't listen to your doctor, obviously, everyone should. But also do your own research and read recent studies. "Old" beliefs get disproven all the time nowadays, yet people (and even doctors) still stick with them.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

AsaCul wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 am
I'm not saying don't listen to your doctor, obviously, everyone should.
Doctor: "Total cholesterol >200 is very dangerous and I will put you on statins".

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I think we could all agree that eating less calories than your body requires results in weight loss? That is easy. What is difficult is what is lost. Muscle? Fat? Bones? Organ? Water? Tissue? It is probably some combination of all of these things; however, the ratios of what is loss is heavily dependent on many factors and genetics....

What has worked for me:
  • Higher levels of protein
  • A limit on carbohydrates (100g)
  • Refraining from added sugar (hard limit at 10grams) ; this includes fruit but I limit fruit to only one or two pieces.
  • Healthy fats? I try to stick to coconut oil, olive oil, etc.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Lemur wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm
I think we could all agree that eating less calories than your body requires results in weight loss?
debatable if this is even a valid statement.

[edit]

brute will elaborate. brute believes the statement above is akin to saying the following:
if brute increases his velocity by 1mph every minute, eventually, brute will be going 9999999999999mph.

true statement?

yea, but..

the human body has a regulating system. calories out is roughly average calories in over the last 3 days plus a few modifiers. thus while the statement sounds right, it is actually impossible to continuously sustain many/most calorie deficits.

this is how brute was able to eat ~800kcal/day for 1 month straight without losing any weight, or eat ~4000kcal/day for 1 month without gaining weight. his body was adjusting his calorie output to his calorie intake. there are of course limits to this, the body cannot run on 0 calories. thus during a complete fast, the body has to burn something. but calories out will still be reduced drastically, resulting in lowered immune system function, body temperature, physical and mental energy levels, ability to concentrate, and emotional stability.

this is why calorie reducing diets rarely work. the body simply adjusts to the reduced calories.

in brute's opinion what really drives all this is hormones. it's about fixing the broken engine, not putting less fuel in the tank.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

These 5 habits are statistically proven for good health:

1) Don't drink, but if you do, limit your intake.
2) Don't smoke. If you do, stop.
3) Weigh a normal weight. This means a normal BMI for 99% of people unless you're really heavily muscle bound. FYI, most people think they have more muscle than they actually have, and less fat than they actually have.
4) Eat 5 servings of fruit/veg per day. Servings are usually pretty small compared to what most Americans consider a serving, so this isn't as hard as you might think.
5) Exercise at least 30 minutes, 5x/wk. This is a minimum recommendation.

I've lost 100 lbs in the past, kept 90 of it off, chasing the last 10 right now. I have tried a million things and seen a million other things work for other people, and not work for me. The best advice I can give is just keep trying things until you find something that works for you, and don't quit.

For me I am noticing best results when I:
Do the above and also
avoid sugar/flour and artificial sweeteners
drink lots of water, avoid caloric beverages unless they are the meal (protein shakes)
maintain a calorie deficit
eat a substantial amount of protein each day, and limit my fat intake
have rabid control over my environment; I do not keep unhealthy foods in my house, period, full stop, in any quantity. I plan ahead for situations where I am out of this environment. 90% of my willpower stores go to these situations.
I pack almost all of my meals or make them myself
I eat a lot of vegan foods, I do not eat meat or eggs, now and then I will eat dairy but I am trying to make it rare. I mainly do this for ethical reasons but there are nice weight loss benefits.
I prefer at least 4 meals per day when I'm limiting food quantity; if I'm too hungry too often, it's really challenging on my psyche.
Automate as much as you can. Have a 'formula' for 'how I eat' - make the decisions in advance as much as possible.
I weigh most things so I'm honest with myself about quantities.
This just an n=1, what worked for me. You have to find what works for you. It's really about finding a lifestyle you can stick with for the rest of your life and that makes your brain happy. I find sugar addictive, so I have to be really careful around it. Different foods impact different people different ways. So slowly piece together a lifestyle that you can live with, and you'll eventually get there.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

BRUTE wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 am
debatable if this is even a valid statement.

[edit]

brute will elaborate. brute believes the statement above is akin to saying the following:
if brute increases his velocity by 1mph every minute, eventually, brute will be going 9999999999999mph.

true statement?

yea, but..

the human body has a regulating system. calories out is roughly average calories in over the last 3 days plus a few modifiers. thus while the statement sounds right, it is actually impossible to continuously sustain many/most calorie deficits.

this is how brute was able to eat ~800kcal/day for 1 month straight without losing any weight, or eat ~4000kcal/day for 1 month without gaining weight. his body was adjusting his calorie output to his calorie intake. there are of course limits to this, the body cannot run on 0 calories. thus during a complete fast, the body has to burn something. but calories out will still be reduced drastically, resulting in lowered immune system function, body temperature, physical and mental energy levels, ability to concentrate, and emotional stability.

this is why calorie reducing diets rarely work. the body simply adjusts to the reduced calories.

in brute's opinion what really drives all this is hormones. it's about fixing the broken engine, not putting less fuel in the tank.
This is certainly a valid statement and I will have to respectfully disagree that this it not really all that debatable...decades of research support the calories in calories out (CICO) theory.

http://physiqonomics.com/calories/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9564900988

99% of scientists agree that climate change (global warming) is a real phenomenon. I relate this to calories in - calories out theory; the vast majority of dietitians will agree that if you burn more energy than you put into your body, you will lose weight (whether that is muscle/fat/etc. and what have you is up to genetics, food composition, among other variables).

How do you explain natural bodybuilders who meticulously track every calorie down to the macro-nutrient and lose fat loss at a steady rate with the goal of also preserving muscle? How do you refute the Minnesota Starvation Study where subjects ate in the realm of 400-600 calories a day and continued to lose weight after 6 month periods? I think its certainly possible Brute was not tracking calories well (and studies show that humans are terrible at this too). The vast majority of people (who are not completely bed-ridden or running a half-marathon daily) would lose weight eating 800kcal a day and gain weight eating 4000kcal a day. There are some very rare and odd deviations where one could hold on to too much water (or have some type of thyroid problem) but this has not been the case in my experience as well as the experience of many others.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Lemur wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 pm
99% of scientists agree that climate change (global warming) is a real phenomenon. I relate this to calories in - calories out theory; the vast majority of dietitians will agree that if you burn more energy than you put into your body, you will lose weight
*shrug*

brute tried it, and defeated the theory. multiple times. one time he weighed everything he consumed for 1 month straight. the other time, he designed a pre-planned meal that he ate as his only meal for 1 month straight. same meal every time.

brute does not care if 99% of humans agree on something if he can disprove it trivially with his own experiment.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Something occurred to me while walking around today that I don't remember being discussed in this thread. What kind of gains are you looking for? For someone just trying to get back down to the normal BMI range, perhaps calories in calories out is more important or at very least relevant (i.e. reducing calories leads to weight loss). This person is likely dropping the ball on many fronts and thus gains will be physiologically (though not necessarily mentally) easier.

However, if you're trying to get from 9% to 8% bodyfat you're playing a whole different game. You're going to need to be really in tune with your body and I imagine things like sleep and type of food eaten may play a much larger roll here. Perhaps discrepancy in goals between individuals could explain some of the discrepancy in success of different methods?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

that certainly makes sense. for the record, brute was nowhere near the "crazy low bodybuilder" body composition (unfortunately).

brute could almost believe that the opposite is true: if there's a lot of fat to be lost, finding the right bottleneck will yield major, easy changes in body composition, as did fixing sleep + IF + keto for brute. to go from there to six-pack abs, maybe a lot more fine-tuning needs to happen, possibly even on the level of counting calories.

iopsi

Post by iopsi »

Lemur wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:13 pm
I think we could all agree that eating less calories than your body requires results in weight loss? That is easy. What is difficult is what is lost. Muscle? Fat? Bones? Organ? Water? Tissue? It is probably some combination of all of these things; however, the ratios of what is loss is heavily dependent on many factors and genetics....

What has worked for me:
  • Higher levels of protein
  • A limit on carbohydrates (100g)
  • Refraining from added sugar (hard limit at 10grams) ; this includes fruit but I limit fruit to only one or two pieces.
  • Healthy fats? I try to stick to coconut oil, olive oil, etc.
The major factors that determine whether you preserve muscle during weight loss are: body fat % that you are starting at and the one you want to reach, amount of protein, training volume.

Generally when one start at higher bf %, you might even gain muscle while you lose fat if you train hard. Otherwise, the best one can do is roughly maintain what one has, which is done by eating lots of protein (it is suggested 1.6 and 2.2 g per kg if you are relatively lean and want to get leaner, like 15%/12% to 10%/8%) and moderate/high training volume. This will tell the body that you need those muscles, so they will be spared for the most part.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

iopsi wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 pm
The major factors that determine whether you preserve muscle during weight loss are: body fat % that you are starting at and the one you want to reach, amount of protein, training volume.

Generally when one start at higher bf %, you might even gain muscle while you lose fat if you train hard. Otherwise, the best one can do is roughly maintain what one has, which is done by eating lots of protein (it is suggested 1.6 and 2.2 g per kg if you are relatively lean and want to get leaner, like 15%/12% to 10%/8%) and moderate/high training volume. This will tell the body that you need those muscles, so they will be spared for the most part.
Agree

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

New article about why CICO is wrong and terrible and bad:

1) Calories in is very difficult to measure - the 4, 4, 9 calories/gram for carbs, proteins and fat was measured/derived in the late 1800s and has never been updated.
2) Package labelling is off on average 18%
3) CICO does not take into account how food is digested and absorbed; interestingly, simple sugars can be uptaken at 30 cal/min while complex carbohydrates can only be absorbed 2 cal/min; the impact of this on insulin and the resultant metabolic pathways is vastly different in each case
4) The manner of food preparation can impact the amount of available calories; even something like cooking pasta and letting it cool can drastically change the amount of available (digestible) calories; same with cooking rice with coconut oil and letting it cool.
5) Genetics, microbiome and even small intestine length varies from person to person, so calorie uptake of the same foods is not equal across subjects.
6) There are other points, but the above was most interesting to me.

In the end, I think the advice at the end was to eat when you're hungry and only when you're hungry, eat more whole foods, eat less processed foods and don't eat treats every day.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/d ... he-calorie

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Posting an update here. Fasting twice a week is what worked for me but I lost the habit. I'm at 90kg and about steady there. Will try to fast again but it can get difficult unless I'm isolating a little in my fasting days.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Less.

mustafayacoob

Post by mustafayacoob »

I would suggest you some simple tips for Weight Loss.

1. Eat Protein, Fat and Vegetables
2. Cut Back on Sugars and Starches
3. Drink water a half hour before meals.
4. Eat a high-protein breakfast.
5. Eat your food slowly
6. Eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

suomalainen wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm
New article about why CICO is wrong and terrible and bad:

1) Calories in is very difficult to measure - the 4, 4, 9 calories/gram for carbs, proteins and fat was measured/derived in the late 1800s and has never been updated.
2) Package labelling is off on average 18%
3) CICO does not take into account how food is digested and absorbed; interestingly, simple sugars can be uptaken at 30 cal/min while complex carbohydrates can only be absorbed 2 cal/min; the impact of this on insulin and the resultant metabolic pathways is vastly different in each case
4) The manner of food preparation can impact the amount of available calories; even something like cooking pasta and letting it cool can drastically change the amount of available (digestible) calories; same with cooking rice with coconut oil and letting it cool.
5) Genetics, microbiome and even small intestine length varies from person to person, so calorie uptake of the same foods is not equal across subjects.
6) There are other points, but the above was most interesting to me.

In the end, I think the advice at the end was to eat when you're hungry and only when you're hungry, eat more whole foods, eat less processed foods and don't eat treats every day.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/d ... he-calorie
CICO is not "in" right now. Anyhow...

1.) Just because something was measured in the 1800s, doesn't make it wrong.
2.) That is the package labeling problem; doesn't change the science of energy equilibrium.
3.) The carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis is false. Lower carbohydrate diets do not have any inherent advantages other than a hunger-blunting effect in some people. Same could be said for lower-fat diets. The mechanism for the weight loss is the default lower calorie eating behavior that is gained from food exclusion.
4.) True but doesn't change calories in vs calories out and has very little variance.
5.) Has a rough effect of 7% from person to person...can't remember the source by something I read in a good book.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

An update on this post:
viewtopic.php?p=169274#p169274
classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:37 am
Cholesterol 213 mg/dL Desirable: <200 mg/dL
Triglyceride 93 mg/dL Desirable: <150 mg/dL
HDL 36 mg/dL Desirable:>=40 mg/dL
LDL 158 mg/dL Desirable:<100 mg/dL
BMI remained the same, I did not gain or lose weight. The only variables that changed were purposeful reduction in refined sugar in diet and foods containing fats with a majority of polyunsaturated fats (ie corn, soy etc). Also saturated fat based foods were chosen based on being more omega 3 rich (ie grass fed beef and butter, more fish, etc). Although mostly eliminated, I did eat some processed foods, mostly condiment-type items. So there were some foods that contained a high amount of high fructose corn syrup and polyunsaturated fats. Things like salad dressing, ketchup etc. There were also rare fast food purchases like ordering pizza on vacations. Essentially this was SAD-worst of the worst.

Lipid panel 2019:
Cholesterol 189 mg/dL
Triglyceride 78 mg/dL
HDL 41 mg/dL
LDL 132 mg/dL

Result of study n=1 was an improvement of every single aspect of total lipid panel, by simply avoiding the "worst of the worst" in SAD. However, no weight (body fat) loss, but in fairness I didn't ever try.

mferson

Post by mferson »

To lose weight, I usually eat chicken breast, tuna, whole wheat bread, low-fat cheese, broccoli and fruits.

mustafayacoob

Post by mustafayacoob »

Eat a high-protein breakfast. Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice. These are the most fattening things you can put into your body, and avoiding them can help you lose weight.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@mferson
@mustafayacoob

Both effective methods.

Personally, just very easy to follow the "whole foods" heuristic. Meat, Fruits, Veggies, Whole Grains. Nothing processed. This is already much better than 99% of diets. Anything else after that (intermittent fasting, eating more in the morning, not eating after 6pm, cardio on fasted stomach, you name it) is grasping at straws.