What's the best option for sleeping warm in winter? A sleeping bag?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Diego

What's the best option for sleeping warm in winter? A sleeping bag?

Post by Diego »

Hi people, I'm a Spanish who has just moved to Germany (near Berlin), and being used to the warm weather in Spain, now I'm thinking about what can I do for keeping myself warm during the Germany winter nights. I live in a new tiny apartment (23 sqm), so I think it shouldn't be too expensive to turn the heater and the apartment must be well insulated as is new, but I prefer not to have to do it.

As my apartment is so small, there's no bed in it. In my case I have a bed sofa where I sleep, but the point is that in this sofa I can't put the sheets like in a normal bed (I don't know how to explain it, but let's say it's not very warm at night because my feet can be out of the sheets).

So I was thinking in getting a sleeping bag. But, what kind do you recommend? I don't want to get one too expensive and realise that I don't like it. I tend to move a lot while sleeping, so maybe a mummy kind isn't the best option for me. What confort temperature do you think I should look for? Should I go for plume?

If you have any other tips, they'll be highly appreciated :)

daylen

Re: What's the best option for sleeping warm in winter? A sleeping bag?

Post by daylen »

Sleep with extra clothing on. Weight is probably not much of a factor, so a sleeping bad is unnecessary; an insulated blanket or quilt would be better.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I don't think you will have any problem. Just get this https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edred%C3%B3n

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Knit wool socks, knitted by an old German grandma (well, Finnish would be best, but I'm assuming they do this in Germany too).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

A square sleeping bag rated for 15-20C. Synthetic filling. You can unzip it all the way around and use it as a quilt.

Alternatively a quilt or a duvet. The northern European solution.

Alternatively, a bunch of blankets, one on top of each other. The American solution.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I personally prefer the quilt/duvet route, not that I've needed it since coming to Texas. If a thick quilt still isn't enough put on some pajamas and socks.

C40

Post by C40 »

Just get more blankets. (or a quilt or comforter)

Blankets can be bought for little money. It's likely you'll feel restricted in a sleeping bag. A sleeping bag is more for hiking when you want to carry something small and packable.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Your best friends are wool socks. Second layer of clothing and an extra blanket should be all you need. Also agree with not using sleeping bags - I personally always find them uncomfortable and restricting even when unzipped.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

It may not get as cold as you'd think because you'll get some free heat from the presumably less ascetically-minded other tenants heating their apartments.

Anyway, flannel blankets underneath and on top of you, with a thick duvet cover on top. I live at altitude and it's not unusual for me to wake up to indoor temps of 50F (10C) or lower in winter. With this arrangement I don't want to leave my bed.

Rule of thumb with a sleeping bag is think of the coldest temperature you'll use it in and subtract 10F/5C.

Yeah, and good socks.
Last edited by unemployable on Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

FWIW, when I spent 4 years in Switzerland, I used the following to get through one unheated(*) winter and the 2003 heat wave.

(*) I wanted to see if I could get through a winter leaving the radiator at zero.

1 synthetic mummy sleeping bag rated at 20C (used a quilt in the winter)
1 square fleece liner that could be unzipped into a blanket (used as a blanket) ($)
1 cotton sheet that ultimately wore through in the middle.

($) This was the only thing I didn't already own when I arrived.

If transport is not an issue, and you're starting from zero, a bunch of blankets layered on top of a cotton sheet would be more preferred solution.

CS

Post by CS »

I also sleep on a sofa. On top, I use a linen sheet, topped with two wool & cotton blankets (using a cotton mattress pad to protect the cushions at night). Nothing beats wool for warmth and breathability (I sweat horribly with synthetics). Plus, even a small blanket fits only by being folded lengthwise, which means two blankets = four layers. The blankets were not cheap, but still less than I used to pay to heat my old house for two months. And being wool, they can be used in the summer too. (Funnily enough, the blankets were made in Germany. You should be able to find something like that there.)

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

My approach to your situation would be (and is in my own life) to skip the sofa, get a well-insulating pad and sleep on the floor. Your back will be forever grateful for that solution.

I have a Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite pad and I can easily sleep on it down to at least 3° C without feeling any cold from beneath. For cozyness (and sweat absortion) you can add a woolen blanket on top of the pad plus a sheet. This pad is very light (and cheap and durable) and easy to store away during non-sleeping time. For cover I use different variations of quilts depending on the temperature, but I find it too restricting to sleep inside a sleeping bag. Also, it doesn't get any warmer inside a sleeping bag as the insulation below your body mass gets squeezed completely so that the insulation effect of that part of the sleeping bag becomes negligble.

daylen

Post by daylen »

You can also use a Japanese futon. I slept on an insulated pad for a while, but I think the futon is a big step up. The futon doesn't move around when I change sleeping positions.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I sleep with sweat pants with elastic ankle cuffs(helps trap body heat), and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood deployed. If you don't like wearing either, just use a couple of light layers of bed sheets with a comforter on the top. Staying warm is all about layers that trap body heat but remain somewhat breathable/comfortable. Or if you're really struggling with the cold, just use an electric blanket and turn off/down the central heating while you sleep.

Jason

Post by Jason »

In case you don't have a sleeping bag with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpE7fGuGjHg

Diego

Post by Diego »

Thank you all for your responses :) . The problem in my case is that the heat escapes by the sides. I have a wool blanket but it's not enough, for example tonight I woke up at 6 am and couldn't sleep because I was cold (and we are still in Autumn... :lol: ). So I prepared a hot beverage and with that in my body I finally could sleep comfortably.

I think I'm going for the cheap sleeping bag that @jacob suggests + the knit wool socks + my current blanket. If I needed more, I would add a quilt or some more clothes.
Eureka wrote:My approach to your situation would be (and is in my own life) to skip the sofa, get a well-insulating pad and sleep on the floor. Your back will be forever grateful for that solution.
daylen wrote:You can also use a Japanese futon. I slept on an insulated pad for a while, but I think the futon is a big step up. The futon doesn't move around when I change sleeping positions.
Didn't think about this before. It's true that my back has complained a little bit during the last week. As I tend to move a lot, a pad maybe is not a good choice for me, but the Japanese futon might be a good idea, and it may end the necessity of a bed in the next houses I live in the future :)

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Jason wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:58 am
In case you don't have a sleeping bag with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpE7fGuGjHg
Or this, if what Jason suggested doesn’t work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXmp1hLK0tY

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

What ever you get, make sure you can wash and dry it easily.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Not really useful for sofa sleeping, unless you are prepared to rig an elaborate equivalent, but the four poster beds of yesteryear with heavy drapes to keep body heat in and the cold drafts out were an older solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canopy_bed

I recall reading a prepper solution of placing a tent on top of your bed, and sleeping inside works on the same principles, particularly useful if you can't heat your home and it's sub zero outside. It's easier for your body to heat the space, than a much larger room.

Diego

Post by Diego »

I finally bought a cheap sleeping bag. And very happy! I've been using it for 3 weeks I think. If I feel myself getting cold, I just wear more clothes. It's this one: