Pick Your Best Historical Role Model

Favorite quotations, etc.
sree

Post by sree »

Let me know your best ERE role models from history. Who best famously exemplifies the traits needed for ERE? (They don't necessarily need to have done ERE in their lifetime). What personality from the past would thrive in ERE today? How did you hear about them? What books do you recommend for learning more about them?
Obviously, one choice would be Henry David Thoreau.
I would suggest Abraham Lincoln. Grew up poor. Independent, driven, self-educated. Modest, did not seem to covet material things. Learned to manage people around him with strong personalities.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Franklin

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

@Jacob: Ah, Franklin. Good choice. A true Renaissance man.

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Franklin is practically the platonic ideal :)
Michel de Montaigne, retired at 38, who inscribed his bookcases:
'In the year of Christ 1571, at the age of thirty-eight, on the last day of February, his birthday, Michael de Montaigne, long weary of the servitude of the court and of public employments, while still entire, retired to the bosom of the learned virgins, where in calm and freedom from all cares he will spend what little remains of his life, now more than half run out. If the fates permit, he will complete this abode, this sweet ancestral retreat; and he has consecrated it to his freedom, tranquility, and leisure.’

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

"A penny saved is a penny earned". As good (maybe better) today as it was when said. 14.7 Trillion saved, is 14.7 Trillion earned?
Solomon? "Neither a borrower, nor a lender be"? "The borrower is servant to the lender"?
Lots of good stuff if we could still follow it.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Spinoza

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Leonardo da Vinci.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

fisker

Chad

Post by Chad »

Hard to beat Franklin in finances or common wisdom.
A more modern example could be Warren Buffett. Don't get me wrong he does spend his vast fortune on some things, but he still owns the house he bought in the 70's when he wasn't "Warren Buffett." His car is also rather old. One of my favorite quotes from him was during a CNBC interview. The reporter asked, "Why don't you have a yacht?" His response, "I have friends who have them and it would be pain." (roughly)
I'm not saying he is perfect or a saint, just an interesting modern example of some good financial aspects given his enormous wealth.

Sven

Post by Sven »

Hmm.. looks like i need to do some research about some people.. besides Leonardo da Vinci and Spinoza, i don't know how the other people lived (i am from Europe ;-)).

But the first person that came up to my mind was Warren Buffett as well. I read "The Snowball" (written by Alice Schroeder with Warren Buffett's cooperation, if that helps for a search) and to me he seemed to be a high profile personification of ERE. Becoming a millionaire at age 32.. in a time a million dollars still meant something (1962)! He probably could stopped working there and then, but like a lot of people he just isn't a person that will just stop working/'retire'. Nowadays he is still working.. at age 81.. over here in Europe most people retire latest at age 65. But hey.. maybe it just became a hobby.. or he doesn't have something else that could satisfy his intellectual needs!

Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Diogenes

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maus

Post by Maus »

Since Jesus is probably too trite, I've got to go with Epictetus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epictetus
As many posts in the forums have noted, something about Stoic philosophy seems to resonate with EREistas.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@sshawnn - You're messing with my ego 8-)
Actually, lately I've been wondering whether this really would be the way to go. ERE may be a finished chapter, but there are still things to think about, such as how to fix the economy and the perennial meaning of life. I'm thinking maybe being a philosopher (Walden-style, not professor-teaching-undergraduates-style) is really the way to go... It somehow seems preposterous to fathom a legacy similar to those guys above and nothing is guaranteed, but maybe with 50 more years of effort... Let the hubris commence :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Jacob-ERE IS a philosophy and a great launching point for you. There are several ideas in the book that you can expand into more of a philosophy. When I read the book, I was expecting a guide to retiring as early as possible. I am pretty frugal and money savvy, so I thought it would help me refine our strategy to make sure DH can retire within 10 years. It wasn't that at all. It changed my whole approach to the subject.
Here's an example--We have a few kids and go through a lot of bread. I usually hunt up several coupons, watch for sales at the store, and stock up when I can buy them really cheaply. I read the book and thought...I should learn to bake bread. I know it's a stupid example, but the idea of producing more than I consume keeps pinging around in my head. As a SAHM, I realize that I'm basically in charge of the consuming for the entire household, so I can make some substantial changes. I no longer want to be a "better consumer" (a popular phrase on money blogs). I don't want to be a consumer at all.
That's philosophy not money management, right?
I'll vote for Fisker too based on his future endeavors ;)

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

@ Sven (Hmm.. looks like i need to do some research about some people.). My reading list continues to grow. Add Walden to the list. My next task is to go through ERE again now that I have a more clear vision of where we are going.
@jacob I agree with jennypenny in the fact that the ERE book could be used as an outline for more literary works. Your "philosophy" is backed with a lot of wisdom and experience(both yours and that of your real and cyber acquaintances.). Despite all the goodness we have found in your work, I have only a 20% success rate of getting others to buy in. I put much thought into inviting a few friends to read the book. I think that all four "failures" were based on the fear of material goods loss. I don't think ERE is a finished chapter at all. If you want to help save or change the world, you have to reach people UNLIKE most of the people you are accustomed to interacting with.I think you should engineer a process to open the eyes of more jackasses like me.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

JA=(former) ultra-consumer.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Finally got a chance to watch "Alone in the Wilderness" last night. My husband and I were both a little speechless afterward. We visited Alaska in June, so we could easily picture where he was and the conditions in which he lived. His skills were impressive, but I think I am more envious of his confidence in himself. I think Proenneke has moved to the top of my list.

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Gandhi -- He worked as a lawyer, nurse, accountant, and public servant, etc. He was constantly trying to improve himself and definitely followed the ERE path so that he could help others. He took great care in managing public funds.

jane sf

Post by jane sf »

All of the above + Ivan Illich + Wendell Berry.