Quiz: Do you live in a bubble (elitist)

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
prognastat

Re: Quiz: Do you live in a bubble (elitist)

Post by prognastat »

It's easy to get isolated in a bubble. I would say it's part of human nature give our in-group vs out-group nature.

For most it's something you need to actively fight and from what I can tell most don't even want to fight it as it feels so much better to be part of the in-group to them. Fighting it involves actively adding friction to your social life. You can't just believe you and your friends/relatives are right and those that disagree with you/them are automatically wrong. However if you do choose to actively fight these biases you will have a good chance of either isolating yourself if you don't voice this to those in your in-group or them isolating you from them if you do voice them too much. As ostracisation has frequently been used as an extreme form of punishment in the past this can be extremely painful to those going through it and is thus avoided.

Evolutionarily speaking doing anything you can to avoid ostracisation would have been evolutionarily selected for as those ostracised from the tribe would likely be dead. So trying to fit in with your in-group is imperative for most and they will bend their morals if it will assist in this.

This is how you get rich people spouting off progressive talking points, yet often living their lives in ways very opposed to what they are saying. They need to say these things to remain part of their in-group, but they also need to behave in a different way to remain too. And if you call them out on it their cognitive dissonance can make them very uncomfortable and rather than introspect they will likely blame you for their discomfort.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Perhaps I was too aggressive in my wording in my last posts. I do have too much history of dealing with local government to be neutral about this, I think.

I don't have a problem with people being in bubbles. I think it is natural. And I don't think it's a problem one should address, personally, unless it is causing problems.

But when that bubble wraps thoroughly around institutions that make regulations that apply outside of bubble space, we have a real problem. Those making or enforcing the rules can't hear opposing viewpoints without triggering outgroup alarms. This is how civil wars start. When a differing opinion becomes a hostile act from an enemy, hostile actions are justified, and the stories of those hostile actions get circulated around the water cooler, with appropriate embellishment. Thus reinforcing the bubble and the attitude of expecting hostility from an outgroup.

But maybe this is a local problem. Or worse, just my problem :o .

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

@Riggerjack

I believe though that if the bubbles in our personal life become too strong that this is bound to overflow into the institutions as those themselves are made up of people. As we have moved more of our social interactions to the online space the ability to filter out those opposing you becomes easier than ever and much of it even happens without us being aware of it through algorithms automating it.

This is where I run in to a conflict with my morals in that I believe it to be immoral to force people to interact with those they don't wish to associate with, but I also believe it to be better if they did.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

This is where I run in to a conflict with my morals in that I believe it to be immoral to force people to interact with those they don't wish to associate with, but I also believe it to be better if they did.
I am close to agreement.

This is where I run in to a conflict with my morals in that I believe it to be immoral to force people to interact with those they don't wish to associate with, but I also believe it to be better if they didn't make decisions for people they despise.

But then, my default answer is always to have decisions made at the lowest, most local level (where the information is), and regulations just moving the incentives of those decisions as necessary (where the big picture concerns are). But nobody is attracted to power for the purpose of making anything better for anyone else, if all of human history is a guide.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Except one guy, Hail One Guy!

Sid

Post by Sid »

As a 20 year old college kid in Kansas I scored 38 on the pbs test, and 31 on Jacob's. Oh yeah

Sid

Post by Sid »

Thoughts:

Division is created among the people by controversial subjects that don't matter much in the grand scheme, such as aborting, guns, blah. This distraction diverts people's time and attention from doing things of substance and working together. Also some businesses are designed to absorb as much time and attention from its customers/users as it can, like Facebook. With that we get people spending their time sending cat pictures and arguing about kneeling. People do not realize this, so power stays where it is and nothing changes.

I share your wish @Augustus. I wonder what other factors may be in play, and how people might overcome this. I have a feeling it will take something major.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Augustus -

+1 Converting paper forms to online forms is exactly it! That's pretty much what GenX managed to accomplish in the grand scheme of things.

Ready player one?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

+1

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

@Augustus

Decline of the West