Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Campitor

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by Campitor »

Each month a visa bulletin is published. It details the requirements and qualifications required to get an immigrant visa as well as the numbers of visas that will be granted. They have September's visa bulletin published: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... -2018.html.

Why publish a monthly bulletin? Because circumstances in the US change therefore immigration requirements must change. There is no path for low skilled hard workers for several reasons. How do you determine a person is a hard worker? What possible metric could be used beyond previous employment history in the country of origin? If they had a job or a business this would place them within a specific category outlined in the monthly visa bulletin.

And if it wasn't for the flood of illegal immigrants who work low skilled jobs, there would probably be a visa bulletin that would allow for a controlled number of visa applicants who fall into the "will work hard" category.

Campitor

Re: Warning: WH seeks to limit/deport immigrants using ACA and other gov. services

Post by Campitor »

And this is an interesting read regarding low skilled workers immigration policy and possible changes recommended by the Migration Policy Institute: https://www.migrationpolicy.org/researc ... gn-workers

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Released and posted on DHS on a Saturday ...
Reuters wrote: The proposed regulation will be published in the Federal Register in the coming weeks, officials said, the first step toward final adoption. The public has 60 days to comment on the proposal, and the agency must consider all submitted comments and could change the regulation before the final version is adopted, likely in several months.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1M20YP
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/ ... ump-836456
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/22/us/p ... c-aid.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... ho-n910791

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Hmm, well I feel more personally secure after this news as it sounds like once you have either permanent resident status or citizenship it no longer affects you.

Still seems wrong to punish people that are actually following the rules though. I can understand if someone has consistently been a burden that this might affect your chances of immigrating as you don't want to allow people in that are primarily looking to take advantage of the resources unavailable in their country of origin, but if someone just happened to hit a rough patch and need some help this shouldn't be a factor.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Slowly chipping away ...

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/09/22/dhs ... motes-self
DHS wrote: Importantly, by law, the public charge inadmissibility determination is a prospective determination based on the totality of the circumstances, which includes statutorily required factors such as age, health, family status, assets, resources, financial status, education and skills.

In making this determination, DHS is proposing to consider current and past receipt of designated public benefits above certain thresholds as a heavily weighed negative factor. The rule would also make nonimmigrants who receive or are likely to receive designated public benefits above the designated threshold generally ineligible for change of status and extension of stay.
For my part I feel less secure, because my status is now next in line(*) as the nativists keep going down the target list. "First they came for .." and all that. It's clear what the end goal is. They've said as much.

(*) Well, technically behind the next one in line because I've never received public assistance on their current list. But lists can change...

CS

Post by CS »

@Jacob

The worst part is that they pick off people as they apply for citizenship, i.e. try to get all the way on board and they'll just toss you off the boat. Which leaves green card holders in a horrible limbo.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

jacob wrote:For my part I feel less secure, because my status is now next in line(*) as the nativists keep going down the target list. "First they came for .." and all that. It's clear what the end goal is. They've said as much.
Not far from how many people feel due to Brexit. I realised I'll be fine no matter how this unfolds. After all, there is a big world outside of the island.

I guess there are at the very least plans A, B, C & D drawn in the ERE HQ. So, where is it going to be (if worse comes to worst or your exasperation reaches critical level)? Canada or Europe? Or...?

CS

Post by CS »

Canada is probably your most stable bet - but dang cold. And the Chinese have driven up the cost of real estate on the Canadian coasts to untenable levels for the natives... but it is still better than what is going on in the US. Europe seems like an option, but where? Fascism is rising everywhere, driven by immigration, which is driven by climate change (which isn't going *anywhere*).

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

Real estate is only expensive on the west coast and in southern Ontario. As for the cold, take up cross country skiing. It is a relatively cheap hobby, and you start to look forward to the snow.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Bankai - There are literally that many plans drawn up here with those exact names :geek:

The biggest lesson learned here is in adjusting to the new level of political instability. Rules (liabilities) change so fast now that it's hard to decide on a specific country and make a long term commitment. That was my mistake with the US. So the solution is to diversify assets to match the volatility of the new liabilities. Right now I'm just working to get to a point where diversification is easier. I'm leaning towards flag theory(*) but first I need to get closer to a point where flag theory is possible. Plan A is still staying here but I want to get to a point where I don't get rattled/damaged when voters decide that blowing up the system is the best way to change it.

In terms of picking a country, the problem is not so much the cost of living but the head tax of a more permanent visa. Those start at six figures in even the cheapest/most welcome/desperate countries, so it's not really like you can just pick whatever you want. Not really keen on "settling" on revolving 90-day tourist visas for the rest of our lives.

We do have a bunch of favorites/options ... but thanks to rapidly moving politics, those priorities have actually changed over the past couple of years.

(*) Under the theory that whatever we chose, the rug may be pulled out under our feet.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Would the back to danemark option be possible?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yes, but only as of last month (Aug 2018) when laws were changed again.
Previously expats had been effectively barred from moving back with their foreign spouses.

Jean

Post by Jean »

That seems to be harsh. Glad you have at least this option.
What about living on a boat, there is a lot of diversity of climate between Norway and the canary islands, you used to like sailing and you don't need to work. You can have a really nice winterproof boat for less than 100k.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Plan A is still staying here but I want to get to a point where I don't get rattled/damaged when voters decide that blowing up the system is the best way to change it.
I have cut off my news since the last election, so take this with a shaker of salt.

I read a theory that the Trump administration seems to be trying to make sweeping changes, but puts no real effort into crossing the T's and dotting the I's, to both make the news, as everyone jumps, and to have their sweeping changes have no effect.

This gets the press to jump, it gets the left to jump, it pleases his base, and when it all gets struck down in the courts, his base blames the "deep state", rather than his administration's incompetence.

But my money is still on incompetence.

We have a system of checks and balances for this purpose. It's certainly not worth being in the cross hairs of such policy, and hoping that sanity will prevail, so everyone should react. But remember that even with one team controlling all three houses, sweeping changes are what our government is built to avoid.

It's frustrating when trying to make a change, but comforting when I dislike the change being made.

So where is the link to the public commentary on this entry in the Federal Register? I am still reading it.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I see moving to Canada thrown around as an option by those who are dissatisfied by American politics.

It's not that easy. If you don't have a job with a Canadian employer or run a business, you need to make a substantial investment in their economy. $100's of thousands. They publish an immigration wizard on their website.

They don't want just anyone.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

@ Scott 2 - I admit I had no idea there's no free movement between Canada and US. I kinda blindly assumed a similar arrangement is in place as in EU, where you can move and live anywhere within 27 (soon) countries if you are a citizen of any of them.

But thinking about it, US seems to have quite a lot of so-called 'illegal immigrants' and Canada, considering it's lower population, might not be interested in this kind of agreement because of it.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

A pair and a spare practice works well and analogously for many similar systems. That's why everybody wants to have a warm companionate relationship with Canada, a cool, discreet partnership with Switzerland, and the free option to "date" Brazil.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Seriously, this policy is seriously f8cked up. For instance, there is no way some recent immigrant mother is going to be able to figure out that free public first grade is really free and mandatory for her 6 year old , but free nursery school for her 4 year old in the same building might cross over the line. Over 20 % of the children in American schools are immigrants or children of immigrants. All the grouchy old white people are going to die off pretty soon and then what? Another mess left for my kids' generation to clean up.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:53 pm
All the grouchy old white people
yea fuck whites

ZAFCorrection

Post by ZAFCorrection »

BRUTE wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:45 pm
yea fuck whites
So exciting that as a white American my future cultural options are self-hating, daal-spooning cultural vampire or MAGA hat guy. Might have to go flag theory just to get away from the toxic level of self-consciousness.