journal of wood

Where are you and where are you going?
Jason

Re: journal of wood

Post by Jason »

wood wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:10 am
Don't know if its attributable to the loss or my new hectic family life, or both. Either way should be tamporary
Freud just spun on his cigar.

wood

Post by wood »

I get annoyed more easily than before, and it is usually due to something relating to my "new life", which consists of waking up way earlier than before, having kids around me all evening every other week, and basically adapting to being a new family member. Almost sounds like I'm adopted :lol: (Maybe I am=)
The positives outweigh the negatives though. I'm generally very happy. Sometimes irritability comes from work or feeling tired. I believe all of this stems from being under stress and adapting to a new lifestyle, and from the loss of my dad. I also believe that I will adapt, which is why I think its temporary.
No income and no expense tracking makes for a bad combo.
Try tracking it. Its probably worse than you think.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Spoiler alert to my next update, I did start again. Fortunately just starting to track it again alone has made a difference in my spending this month, and in a good way. But lots of habits to be broken now!

What you’re saying makes sense to me too. Sounds like you’ve got constant interaction around you now, can’t remember how interaction-prone exactly you were but I at least recall you having some downtime. That’s a big difference, and you’re exposed to a lot of new (relatively) eyes watching you as you go through this huge and difficult time.

As always, it seems like you’re well aware of what you’re going through and heading steady. Your steadfastness is impressive and enviable. Wishing you the best.

wood

Post by wood »

Fortunately just starting to track it again alone has made a difference in my spending this month, and in a good way!
That's good to hear! Tracking does serve to reduce my spending, but it also makes me aware that I spend more than I think :lol:

I have to admit, the reality of having a GF with 3 kids is one entirely different than the reality as single-wood. It is so different that if someone told me 6 months ago how my future life would look like I'd die from laughter. This is why I was so sceptical and hesitant to begin with. I didn't want to just jump into something not having thought it through. But you won't know the full picture until you try. This lifestyle suits me. It's full of challenges. Looking back at the past 6 months I've grown as a person. I'm with someone who is quite the dominant type and challenging me and my boundaries, rather than someone passive/submissive like I've had in the past. I'm re-experiencing childhood from the perspective of being a father figure. I'm learning to live more in the present and use my time well. I have more tasks and responsibilities now than 6 months ago, but I still get more done on a personal level than I did before. And it is all something I've chosen and making an effort to work well. Life is full of suffering anyway so you might as well bear some kind of responsibility and bear it well, atleast then you're doing something good for someone - one self included.

Financially speaking. The goal posts have moved. If I want to retire early, I need double of what I needed previously because of my future costbase: need for bigger housing, need for car, chipping in on kids activities and who knows maybe we will have another kid.
I'm determined to reach my original goal. It's about 3 years off now. It will still make me "feel" like I've achieved ERE, because if need be I could jump off the boat and not have to work again. Probably with the cost of being a family member who doesn't contribute as much and the possible consequences of that. Knowing I have the choice is what counts to me. Even if I had 10 million in my bank account today, I'd still continue at my current job and current lifestyle because I enjoy it.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I'm happy you have entered into this Wood Knows Best period but I have to admit to missing the "I'm dating three women while still Married To a Kenyan" Wood era. It's hard, but I guess I have to move on.

wood

Post by wood »

Jason wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:10 pm
I'm happy you have entered into this Wood Knows Best period but I have to admit to missing the "I'm dating three women while still Married To a Kenyan" Wood era. It's hard, but I guess I have to move on.
Don't worry, I'm still married to the Kenyan.

Jason

Post by Jason »

In that case, I won't completely drop you for Suo.

wood

August 2018

Post by wood »

2015:
Savings rate: 19%
Total yield on Investment Portfolio: 25%

2016:
Savings rate: 34%
Total yield on Investment Portfolio: 28%

2017:
Savings rate: 31%
Total yield on Investment Portfolio: 15%

Savings rate 2018
jan 28%
feb 26%
mar 27%
apr 1%
may 22%
jun 40%
jul -22%
aug 46%

On the financial side of things I'm happy with the month of August. I'm also happy with my performance as an investor so far this year - up 15-20% with moderate risk and volatility. Currently devising a strategy for 2019 where I'm aiming at a steady 4-5% total yield with minimal risk involved. Cash is piling up and I'm waiting for a correction/crash so I can feel good about shoving it all into the market.

Still feeling slightly tired. But everyday life with its hectic schedule has set in so I see it as an improvement.
Last edited by wood on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Benjamin Klarman

Post by Benjamin Klarman »

Amazing return, wood. What did you invest in? Could you develop more on your strategy for 2019?

I can imagine a hectic schedule would take a toll on you - nothing you can do to have some time to chill-out? Even if it is just a hour or so a day?

wood

Post by wood »

Benjamin Klarman wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:23 am
Amazing return, wood. What did you invest in? Could you develop more on your strategy for 2019?

I can imagine a hectic schedule would take a toll on you - nothing you can do to have some time to chill-out? Even if it is just a hour or so a day?
So far this year I have been about 10-20-70 in cash, individual stocks and leveraged real estate.
I mixed up the numbers a bit in my previous post. The 15-20% yield was referring to the stocks part of my portfolio. Real estate yielded about 8% excluding appreciation so in total that's 9% yield on my portfolio so far this year. Which I'm still very happy with.

Real estate has been a success for me (and pretty much everyone else) since 2014. I plan to sell real estate and stay 55-30-15 in cash, stocks and RE in 2019. I'm assuming 2% yield on cash, 6% yield on stocks and 15% yield on real estate (net yield: high leverage = high yield). I will increase the stock portion if/when opportunity arise and I will buy real estate if the market takes a dive.

Another option would be to not sell real estate but instead further leverage it in order to make it produce better yield. But I don't know where to put the cash, it feels risky and bad timing. I want to cash in on some of the appreciation I've had these years. Hence, aim for 4-5% total portfolio yield, reduce my balance sheet like the Fed and look for good opportunities like Warren Buffet. It feels kinda naive due to the common advice being "don't try to time the market" which is exactly what I'm doing.

I net purchase some stocks every month with money equal to a little more than I save each month. I think this is partly offsetting my selloff in a positive way looking at the long term. Analyzing stocks and making buy/sell decisions has become a hobby of mine. If nothing substantial happens in the next few years I am likely to aim at something like 20-40-40 in cash, stocks and RE or possibly die of boredom.

Had a full evening of chilling alone yesterday and still feel tired today. Not super tired, just "wish I had a few days off now" kinda tired. I take breaks like this regularly and it doesn't seem to help much. Thinking it's a combination of stressful summer, autumn darkness setting in, and still adapting to family life. Most other aspects of my life are in order: healthy diet, fit, social, happy with dayjob, love life, stepchildren etc.

wood

Post by wood »

GF broke up with me yesterday.

Says she doesn't have the capacity for a relationship at this point. She feels inadequate. I've realized my own contribution to those feelings and taken steps to correct it, but she has already made her decision.

I don't fully understand, the breakup feels rushed and I'm broken.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Fucking sucks!
Feeling blindsided?

wood

Post by wood »

Very

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Oi, sorry to hear that man.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I’m very sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Sorry to hear that. Is it something you think can be fixed or past being fixed?

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I think you'll be ok.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

I'm really sorry to hear it. I know you'll be okay but it still hurts when it happens.

That reason seems vague, no conversation before as those feelings arise, simply dropping it out of left field. If she's been radically honest, I'd believe it but considering hiding the feelings before and no conversation regarding them before, I wouldn't fully trust it as the reason.

Jason

Post by Jason »

At least you have your wife to fall back on.

wood

Post by wood »

She's stressed out. She's feeling the heat at work and in turn feels like she doesn't have the capacity to make me happy and be my GF.

I told her that she doesn't need to worry about making me happy, she makes me happy already. Besides, I'm generally happy anyway. She has this fear that I won't be happy, that I'll be unsatisfied, which is what she experienced with the ex.

She just needs some quality time alone to reflect. I think the breakup was a rash decision, and I think she'll come back to me. And if she doesn't, I'll move on and be okay with that too. She's phoned me every evening and we've had some good conversations.